Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cozumel/Chankanab Wheelchair??

Hi..
Im taking my mom on the western itinerary. She will be in a wheel chair. Grand Cayman is out because of the tendering, Jamaica is out because everytime i go there i dont feel safe. Id like to take her into Cozumel perhaps to Chankanab Park..does anyone know if this is possible in a wheel chair..?? Should i book an excursion thru the ship or do it on our own in a taxi..?? any help would be so appreciated..

Thanks..Paula
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cozumel/Chankanab Wheelchair??

Cahnakanab is somewhat wheelchair accessible - we took my mother-in-law there in August - she is in a wheelchair but not confined to a wheelchair as such - i.e., she can get up (with assistance) and turn around and sit down in a chair - or walk a few steps (there is no paralysis but severe arthritis/joint replacement issues). We just took a cab. The ship wasn't able to tell me what sort of transportation we'd be on if we did a ship excursion - for example, she wouldn't be able to go up the steps on a "bus". Hence, the taxi - there are lots of them and always taxis waiting to take you back to the boat at Chakanab. We wheeled her around a bit to shop but it was hot and she was tired so we took her back to the ship and she was happy to rest in the cabin - we had room service bring in a late lunch and they were always prompt on our ship. (RCCL - Rhapsody). If you have a wheelchair accessible cabin, she will have lots of room and won't feel claustrophobic in the cabin.

You noted that Cayman was out because it was a "tender" port - again, depending on the degree of disability, this is not necessarily so - the tenders on Rhapsody had an area for a wheelchair to sit and be buckled in. This may not be true of all cruise lines. The crew helped us roll her down the gangplank and then lifted her into the tender boat (and she is not a small woman). We helped as best we could. She and I went on a taxi tour - the rest of the family went snorkeling with the stingrays. There wasn't much to see from the taxi but she got the rum cakes she wanted - and we actually found a wheelchair accessible open air restaurant just north of the pier (on the water obviously) where we all met for lunch. The restaurant name escapes me - but it is the largest one just north of the pier - all "gray wood" and weathered looking with a large patio compared to the others. Food was OK but drinks were good (and like everything in Georgetown - expensive).
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:48 PM
Vladimir Drobashevsky

Default Re: Cozumel/Chankanab Wheelchair??

Hi Paula,
My wife is a blk amputee, so I can relate to your mom and onshore visits. Prior to our last cruise on Summit (Celebrity) I did research thru internet rec. travel. cruises and found out about Cozumel and Chankanaab Nat'l Park. It worked!
We did it on our own, took a cab (no problem with wife's wc) cost 8 bucks, then to enter
the park another $10. pp. Inside, the guides were very helpfull to take Elfrieda to the
Dolphin show ( no charge) and later with a minimum effort I took her in the wheelchair to see other areas in the park. All reasonably accessible. This is in contrast to our first visit to Cozumel; we've limited ourselves to shoping only - and nothing was accessible!
Steps and more steps!.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please e-mail.
Regards,
Vladimir and Elfrieda