Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2002, 12:56 PM
HannaS

Default Princess Cruises & Wheelchairs

I received a letter dated October 30, 2002 from the home office of Princess Cruises that they will not supply my wife, who is disabled with a wheel chair, and recommended we bring our own. They gave as a reason that their supply of chairs has been "depleted"
but it might be due to the fact that under Title III of the Americans With Disability Act(ADA) they are not required to provide wheel chair. This seems to be a change since last year when we cruised on the Sun Princess and a wheel chair was provided. Since the cruise lines are nickeling and diming the passengers maybe they should make a charge of the use of the chairs. I realize they are not inexpensive and need maintenance.
Hermann Paul S.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2002, 05:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Princess Cruises & Wheelchairs

Keep in mind that the ADA in no way applies to cruise ships under current legislation and court decisions. In addition, there is no requirement under the ADA than any business on land provide you with a wheelchair either...try to get one out of a hotel or resort in the USA that you can use the entire time of your stay.

Wheelchairs on ships are lousy wheelchairs anyway. They weigh a ton, and are often in poor repair. If you need a wheelchair, purchase one to travel with, or consider renting one just for this trip. You can get a much better chair, and not have to worry about having one available to you when you need it...either on the cruise or at other times.
Old November 12th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Princess Cruises & Wheelchairs

I don't think that it is a matter of Princess' unwillingness, it is a matter that all of the chairs that they have onboard for use are already alotted, plus, they need to keep some on reserve for emergencies.

I know first hand that Princess is outstanding in dealing with passengers with disabilities, I have a dear friend who cruises several times a year and is disabled and Princess, unlike other lines, caters to her every need.