Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Century.....

Our friends are seriously considering coming with us on our November Cruise on the Century to the Western Caribbean!
This is my childhood friend and her hubby ,they are both wheelchair bound permanently and cannot stand at all.
They usually have problems with handicapped rooms being designed for one wheelchair to move around in not two .
As they are coming in from the UK so they won't be bringing thier 'electric wheelchairs' and will be in 'normal wheelchairs'

Also does anyone know what ports they tender to on this trip if any ?
Any help with what trips are ok with 2 chairs?
We do have to be careful of the heat as John cannot control his body temp too well .
(I am a nurse so I can help with many things they need.)

Any advice would be helpful to try to make things easier for them.
It takes John at least 2 hours to get ready in the morning and the one thing we worry about is when they have the early calls for Immigration on the ship, any thoughts on that?

Thanks In advance
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Vladimir Drobashevsky

Default Re: Celebrity Century.....

Hi Lizzie,
In regards to your two friends and the Western Cruise,
wife and I took the Western on Christmas 2001, On Grand Princess. I think different
cruise lines have different itineraries, but ours did have ONE tender at Grand Cayman Island. The sea was reasonably calm, so the crew did not have long faces, when I
appeared with my "Mother Superior" in the wheelchair and in no time we were ashore shopping at accessible stores. We, generaly, plan our own shore trips, one reason is,
it takes us longer to get ready, (as your friend) and from my own research, I really know ahead of time where I can get through with my wife's WC.
I am only familiar with two ships, one Grand and the other Celebrity Summit that have
really large HP staterooms, and the balcony on Grand is as wide as the cabin, about 16 ft. so your friends would be OK with two wheelchairs. (oh yes, the bathrooms are
large enough to easilly get in with a wc and there is a folding shower chair attached to the wall.
By the way, did you know, where at this link do I find the "Spell check? I am lost without it!
Regards,
Vladimir and Elfrieda
Old January 27th, 2003, 05:39 PM
carol haulenbeek

Hi my husband who is in a wheelchair and I have cruised with Celebrity previously. The largest handicapped cabin on the Century 5048 which is an inside cabin. This cabin would be tight however with 2 wheelchairs. The following cabins however will accommodate 2 wheelchairs with no problems and are some of the largest on any ship. Constellation, Infinity, Millennium and Summitt cabins 6005 and 6004. These cabins are located at the very front of the ship. They have king bed and a sofa bed. There are 2 chairs and a small table by the large window. The bathroom has a roll in shower with a built in shower seat. You can do a 180 degree turn in the bathroom with plently of room to spare. We were on the Millennium in Oct and were amazed at how easy and roomy this cabin was for a wheelchair bound person. I hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag. It would be a shame for nonhandicapped people to decide to book squeezing out those that have a real need for these cabins.

In reference to tendering. If you call Celebrity at their 800 nbr they can tell you which port are tender and which ports are docked. Grand Cayman is always a tendered port as they have no dock. When we visited our ship was 1 of 4 in port that day. My husband did take a tender and we explored the island by private taxi. My husband had to transfer from his chair into a van in order to do this. In order to get to the tender in a wheelchair you are carried down steps to the dock then onto the tender which has a ramp for getting on and off. Once you reach the pier there are fairly steep ramps to get up to street level (I helped my husband ). Once at street level there are sidewalks and curb cuts for the most part. The center of town is mainly shops with a few restaurants. We found the people to be very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our tour of the island and my husband did get out of the van at the turtlefarm (admission was extra). Returning to the ship they have umbrellas, cold towels and cold drinks for you while you wait for the next tender to arrive. Back at the ship you are again carried up steps to get back on board the ship.

Cozumel has a number of docks and can accommodate a large number of ships. All docks are wheelchair friendly and have shops and restaurants within walking distant from the ships. However unless you're docked at downtown Cozmel you will need to take a taxi from the other docks into town.

Key West is normally a port where you're docked. However due to the large number of ships in port we were tendered. We decided not to tender not only due to the choppiness of the seas but we've also already visited Key West a few years ago. If you contact the trolley tour there is a wheelchair accessible car and you can do this. However, you can't book it thru the cruise line as they won't make the correction arrangements for you. Also there is a wonderful pier near the docks where you can get good food and drinks at a reasonable price and live entertainment. We loved their mango margaritas.

I haven't been to Jamaica so I can't give you any advice on this destination. If you have any more questions please email me.
Old January 28th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Celebrity Century.....

Thanks everyone for the information .
We are looking to book an Ocean View HP cabin for them, we have been told they would be ok with 2 wheeelchairs.
My friend John is considering bringing a helper along as he doesn't want to burden me with helping him while on holiday, even though it won't burden me one iota!
Do the HP have room for a 3rd person, Celebrity said they do but I'd rather hear from someone with experience .

Thanks again

PS Sorry I don't know if there is an edit button or not on here, I am not a regular poster here.
Old January 28th, 2003, 07:59 PM
carol haulenbeek

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity Century.....

Hi Lizzie,
Some of Celebrity HP cabins have an upper berth for the 3rd person. Their cabin confirguration is either 1 queen but more than likely 2 twins in an "L" position.

In Florida yellow cab has special wheelchair cabs available. You enter from the rear of the cab via a ramp. My husband used them last time we were in FLL definitly recommend them.

Carol
Old February 8th, 2003, 02:24 PM
First Mate

We have gone with 3 people on Celebrity ships handicapped rooms before, but this was on the Zenith (an older ship). 2 chairs and an AB person would be tight, but do-able.

Princess has a couple of inside cabins on the Grand that will sleep 3 (sofa bed and a queen), but will rarely allow you to book this way, which is really ridiculous. We were denied booking 3 in our cabin like this in the Med, and then found out later that this room was originally designed for 3-4. Princess wanted to sell more cabins, so would not book it for more than 2.

HAL will give you a roll-away for a 3rd in their wheelchair cabins, but this does limit the floor space.