Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Default working dogs

A friend of ours is wheelchair bound and has a working dog. He would like to go on a cruise with us, but aren't sure if dogs will be allowed. Any one know if he would be able to take his dog on a Royal Caribbean cruise? I emailed rcc but no answer as of yet. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: working dogs

tj: Yes, working dogs are permitted onboard. I've seen several while cruising with Celebrity.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 5th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: working dogs

Hi Tjwork,
We also saw a "service" dog on one of our Princess cruise, just contact the cruiseline.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 5th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I noticed there is a service dog cruise scheduled by one company, offering lectures and seminars during the cruise. I'll have to do a search to see if I can come up with the details again. Very interesting I thought.

Regards,
Kuki

Old March 7th, 2003, 07:33 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Re: Re: working dogs

On several cruises I have witness guide dogs for passengers on Holand American vessels. Under the Americas With Disability ACT (ADA) under Title III the cruise lines are co.nsidered to be places of public accommodation. This implies that the cruise line must provide accomodation for the disabled, except they do not have to provide wheelchairs. Guide dogs cannot be a reason for rejection of the passenger with a guide dog.

You can get more info on this by in keyword writing Americans With Disability Act
or U.S. Department of Justice

Since I am not a lawyer I do not intend to give you legal advise. The information that the Department of Justice, which handles ADA is quite extensive and easily downloaded,
Old March 8th, 2003, 02:59 PM
HannaS77

Anyone wanting definitiver information about ADA can download the following:

Http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm
Old March 16th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

While getting on the ship and off the ship in the port of embarkation and debarkation (provided they are the same one) should not be a problem....what might be a problem is getting off at any of the ports - I know someone who has a seeing eye dog and it can get complicated as to where you can get off, etc. Have your TA contact the cruise line for the information required. There will be paperwork for the vet to fill out before the dogs will be allowed to embark; there are certain ports that for various health statutes will not permit an animal into the port (Hawaii is one - a dog getting to Hawaii - if they get off the ship - would have to spend 6 months in quarantine; some caribbean islands won't allow a dog off the ship if it has gotten off at another port on the cruise....).

Old March 23rd, 2003, 03:30 PM
Barbara Butler

Yes your friend can take their dog. Mine is going on her 2nd cruise in 12 days. If you would like to e-mail me I can tell you how to go about it. I would be happy to do so!
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Also, your assistance animal must be paper trained. The ship will arrange a relief area for the dog, but of course you are responsible for taking your dog to that area for any toileting. Going ashore outside the USA can be a problem based on which countries you are going to, so you will need details on this and probably have to follow up with the individual consulate on this (the ship generally will not have this information).
Old April 23rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Caribbean

Hawaii allows service dogs to enter their state without being quarantined. This has been allowed for at least a year or two.

Service dogs do not need to be "paper trained" to travel on a cruise ship. Accomodations such as grass/sod can be arranged.

Generally, there are no problems with service dogs going to Hawaii/Alaska/Canada/Mexico/Bahamas and US VI. Other areas are also allowed.
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:54 PM
B etty

Yes as the dog falls under the ADA federal act. However, the dog must be wearing his service vest and have photo ID certification that he is, in fact, a working service dog. You must provide proof of all his vaccinations which include: DHLP, corona, parvo, bordatella, rabies. He must be heartworm and all other types of worms negative. He must be socialized and have his AKC CGC (canine good citizen) papers.
Old October 10th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

Under the ADA, there is no requirement for a service vest, a photo ID, or AKC CGC papers - see the US Dept of Justice's FAQs on Service Animals, specifically Question 3:

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/qasrvc.htm

And note that the USDOJ sued NCL successfully back in 2001 for their treatment of visually impaired passengers. The USDOJ also entered into a consent decree with Captain D's that same year for excluding a service animal from a dining room.

Although most cruise lines accommodate service animals, their implementing policies will differ slightly from company to company. I'd suggesting contacting the cruise line directly with any questions you might have. RCI, for example, provides service animals with a 4x4 box filled with cypress mulch for their comfort - no ship's newsletter for Rover! Princess has also received high remarks for making their ships and facilities accessible to persons with disabilities, to the point of having Jan Tuck, their accessibility manager, appointed by President Bush to the US Access Board.
Old November 1st, 2003, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, a working service dog is allowed on ships. HAL does everything to accommodate dog. I am scheduled to go on Princess Cruise 1/3/04 and it almos took an act of Congress to ge tthrough the employees at Princess Cruise Line that service dogs are covered under the American's with Disability Act. They are required to find a place for potty breaks (passenger must clean up after their dog). On HAL: cruise last year my dog, Stormy, made many friends. In fact, all the passengers who came in contact with her talked to her and ignored me. However, the dog MUST BE CERTIFIED, and carry a photo ID. Within 5 days of sailing your vet must fill out a USDA form certifying dog is in good health, and list all of current vaccinations. BTW my dog loves to fly, and flies in the cabin with me. We get bulkhead seats. She lays on the floor but when she knows we are getting ready to land, she stands up and looks out the window. Delta airlines has even given her her own seat.
Old November 15th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Caribbean

I work in Vocational Rehab with people with disabilities including the visually impaired. There is a lot of misinformaiton out there in reference to service dogs and other disabilities for that matter. Make sure you contact the cruise line and ports and do not rely on information from people who do not have service dogs. The example of Hawaii not allowing them is an example of misinformation. Check with each line and with each port. Information changes rapidly and it is important to be informed.
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have a service dog who alerts me prior to an MS episode occurring. She is an Alaskan Malamute, CGC certified. Under the ADA cruise lines are REQUIRED to allow them on the ship and to provide a potty area for them. My dog wears her vest signifying she is a certified service dog, and she had a photo ID and certification card I also carry with her. Plus for muster drill, she has her own lifejacket with her AKC # and her AKC registered name, plus call name. Basically she gets far more attention than I do. On Holland America Zuiderdam most passengers knew her by name and were happy to see her. Plus I try to understand that a lot of people do not like to eat in the dining room with a DOG (hey, she behaves better than most kids/teenagers) so I usually request a table where waiters will not have to step over her to serve others food. And I ask the people in tables next to us if they mind Stormy laying beside me during meals. Most people are very accommodating after they are asked. Hopefully on Jan 3, 2004 the Golden Princess guests will also be accommodating. One important piece of advice for those traveling with service dogs: make sure all vaccinations are up to date and you have a USDA certificate showing dates of all innoculations (which include parvo, carona, DHLP, rabies, and bordatella required).
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Night Star

Betty---there is someone who posts on CruiseCritic on the Princess board who often travels with their service dog. They have been on many Princess ships including Grand and Golden and Star. If you want to know how Princess handles things with the dog---you may want to post over there.
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Candy Harrington

Actually Hawaii only allows SOME working dogs to com ashore. Here are the official rules:

Hawaii lifted their strict quarantine in 1998 (actually itís a settlement to a lawsuit); however, Hawaii-bound service animals still face some entry restrictions. The terms of the settlement apply only to residents of the US who have guide dogs trained at schools belonging to the US Council Guide Dog Schools. The settlement allows these animals to enter Hawaii without quarantine, providing they adhere to a required program of vaccinations, exams, titers and microchip identification. For details on the procedures, contact Guide Dog Users Inc., 14311 Astrodome Dr., Silver Springs, MD, 20906 (888) 858-1008.

Candy Harrington