Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Blood Test on Board?

Hello,
I was just diagnosed with a problem for which I need to take the blood thinner, Coumadin. We are on a cruise, on April 5th, and while my doctor thinks that I will be somewhat regulated by this time, he wants me to have (and has written a Rx for) a blood test, with the results Faxed to him from the ship. Is this possible to have done? Do I have to make reservations to do this ahead? We will be on the Star Princess.
Thanks for any help.........
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2003, 08:48 AM
CarolH

Default Re: Blood Test on Board?

I would call the cruise line directly and ask for special services. If they can't provide you with answers to your questions ask to be transferred to a supervisor or customer services. If you're booked thru a TA you might want to go through them for the answers, but I prefer to get these types of questions answered on my own.
Old March 15th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would most certainly get a direct answer from the cruise lines. The medical facilities vary somewhat ship to ship.

While I am sure they're set with the ability to do some blood work.... they may or may not be equipped for some specific tests, such as coumadin levels. Best to find out for sure, and even get the answer faxed to you or your TA in writing.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 17th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Blood Test on Board?

Thank you both for your answers. I have called Princess, and gotten the number of the Fleet Medical Service, and faxed them an inquiry. Am waiting for a reply, and will post what I learn, perhaps to help others with the process.
L.
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Blood Test on Board?

The test is called protime or PT for short. My husband has his done monthly and it can be done 2 ways. By drawling blood or with a pin stick. With the pin stick the medical facility would have to have a machine to read. I do not know how long you have been on coumadin but if it is less than 30 days it should be done weekly.

Old March 19th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Blood Test on Board?

Thank you, Florida Cruiser. I have been in contact with Princess, and they can do the pt tests on board, but I do need to have a form filled out by my physician and faxed to them. I will do so.............and so far, I am a newbie, and am being tested twice a week............so was concerned as to whether or not I could go............ Hooray, I can!
Old July 12th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

After all the worry, it was not a problem!
I had called Princess, and had received faxed forms to fill out and to have my Doctor fill out. This was all done. When I went to the medical center on the ship, on the appointed day, they had never heard of me!! They had no copies of any of the forms, etc. This was really not a problem. I had to speak with the Doc, have the test, and then speak to the Doc again for the results....... Everyone that I dealt with in the med center was very personable, and kind, and it turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant visit. The charge? $90.00 on the ship, under $20 at my Doctor's office. It was worth it to be able to go on the cruise, but since everything was okay, I worried for naught.