Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2003, 04:07 PM
J B

Default The Princess Cruise line

Hi

I was wondering if anyone with either a manual wheelchair or a power scooter had travelled on a Princess ship recently. My friend & I are thinking of going to the Baltic next year & I would need to know if the ship we are travelling on is easily accessible. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Joan

P.S. Also, has anyone ever heard of a company called "Travel-Med". They apparently rent power scooters out of some European countries.
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2003, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: The Princess Cruise line

I just returned with my 2 daughters ages 5 and 13 with Spina Bifida that use wheelchairs for their only mode of transporation from an Alaskan cruise on the Star Princess. The Star is the sister ship to the Grand that will be cruising the Baltics. I have nothing but fantastic things to say about the Star. We had balcony wheelchair cabins (had to have 2 cabins because we were orginally booked in a quad accessible cabin on the Diamond Princess but it caught on fire while it was being built and we were moved to the Star where the accessible cabins are only for 2. The only place on the ship that wasn't accessible was the putting green you had to take stairs to get to it there was no elevator access.
Old August 5th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: The Princess Cruise line

Hi CJH,
Did you ever find an elevator to the observation/night club at the top of the ship? We looked, but couldn't find one.. It looked like there was one on the deck plans, but could only find the moving walkways which were do-able with manual chair, but I don't know about scooter.
Glad you had a great time! I loved the Star, too, and we're going again in September, but this time with a scooter.

JB,
Will look forward to hearing about your Baltic cruise ...........that's on our wish list too.
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: The Princess Cruise line

Hi DesrtDrmr

One night they had Kid Disco for the kids on the ship. Of course my 5 year old in a wheelchair was the first one on the dance floor and the last one off. The elevator at the back takes you to the 17th deck and then there is a ramp on both sides and a moving sidewalk in the middle going up. I took her up the moving sidewalk. The grade wasn't as bad as it looks you should be ok with a scooter. Once your up there, there is a step to get on the dance floor so I lifted her wheelchair with her in it up on the floor. I wasn't there when they left and went back to the kid zone but she said they let her go down the ramp by herself. (She loves going down hills).
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The Princess Cruise line

Ah, you started my day with a smile, imagining your 5 year old dancing, and then racing down the walkway!!! We all need 5 year old energy.......
Thanks for the info. I was rather uncomfortable on the moving walkways in my manual chair last time we were on the Star, but I'll have to try it with the scooter this time.......if practical.
Old August 9th, 2003, 03:09 PM
J B

Many thanks for all your encouraging words. The Princess ships sound just great & I appreciate your input.

J B
Old August 14th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Madge

We were on the Royal last spring and saw at least 3 scooters and even more wheel chairs. I'm about to get a Scootee for our next cruise, and hope we can get the right info. from airlines about taking it with us. It sure gives one wider horizons!
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:43 PM
B etty

Am going on Golden Princess Jan 3,2004 with my service dog. It has been a nightmare with my travel agent speaking to no less than 10 people including a V.P. on where my dog needs to go potty. Last year on Holland America they had a special place for her and she was the life of the ship. Princess Cruise line has decided that the obvious place for a dog to relieve itself is on the Sun Deck next to the spa and gym on astro turf. I'm sure the people working out are going to love watching a dog complete her bathroom breaks. Have any other passengers brought their service dog with them on a Princess Cruise?
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have not seen a service dog on Princess. I did see one on Holland America several years ago. I hope that Princess resolves your problem. I'm sure that noone will mind if your dog goes to the bathroom wherever the crew sets up a place for that. Surely, everyone on the ship would know that the DOG didn't pick that spot!! The only problem I could see is that it might be a long distance from your cabin.
Regarding the earlier question, I have been on Princess ships with my wheelchair, everything was good, except the high ramps over the exits on the Promenade Deck. We were fortunate enough to run into kind fellow passengers who would hold the door for me. In September, I took my scooter on the Star, and everything was again wonderful, except for the same Promenade Deck door problems. I assume that those doors are designed that way to keep water out when there are high seas.
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Passenger

In answer to your question about wheelchairs on a cruise ship..........I live in Florida, I've had polio since the age of 7 and am now 75 years old. Now after many years I am in a wheelchair and had no problem on two cruises that I have been on -- Princess Line.
However, there are some areas like going out on the walkaround deck that have a little incline but with help, it is possible to get out there.

Other than that, you can go to the pool areas, sit in the sun, or just go to that area to listen to the shows, daily and nightly............... This particular line caters to the handicapped.

Also, be sure to request a handicap cabin.........I always get one. Very large bathroom which you can wheel into and they have a seat to transfer for your shower with no problem.

As for Travel-Med, I have never heard of them but I went on to Google and they list Travel-Med but it was in German and I could not read it. So check out Google, if it there, they will find it for you.

Good Luck, Irene