Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Life boat drill

My husband has congestive heart failure and the life boat drill on past cruises has been a real strain. The last time we went to the muster station early so that we could use the elevators and not have to do the stairs. But standing through it was also hard on him.

Do some people skip the drill? Do they check cabins? In the event of a real emergency, he is able to make it to the muster station - but it doesn't seem worth going through the paces and being worn out for hours.

Comments?

Carnival Destiny
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Life boat drill

Hello,
On Princess ships they have muster INSIDE, and have a special place for handicapped people. We, and everyone else in the area, sat in/on our personal chairs, scooters, or sat on chairs around the room. On RCI, we had muster out on the deck, but they let me stay in my chair...........in both cases, we did take the elevator down early, but the crew was notified of our problems, and was prepared to move us if necessary to go down the stairs. If he doesn't travel with a chair or scooter, you could probably arrange for one to get on and off the ship, and ask to keep it for muster. Several people on our last cruise were in ship owned wheelchairs at the muster.
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into whether he could have access to a wheel chair for the muster. I am considering taking a walker for myself - because I am still recovering from a broken foot. I'm basically healed, but I get weak and the seat of the walker comes in very handy when there is no chair close by. Maybe hubby could use that if nothing else.

Thanks again.

Carnival Destiny
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Life boat drill

Hi Janet,
Most cruises I am with my Husband, but this last cruise, I was with my Mom, who uses a walker on a daily basis. We had requested, and did have a wheelchair, AND a crew person, to push her onboard, and to our cabin, and also to disembark. You might check into chairs for BOTH of you to get on and off the ship..........seeing if you could keep the one for muster. It was VERY helpful, and people were so nice that it was a pleasant experience. We tipped those that helped us, and we really appreciated their help.
Have a great cruise!
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Passenger

Thanks again for the input! I'll check into it for sure.

Carnival Destiny
Old October 18th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Vladimir and Elfrieda

Here, our $ .05 for the life boat drill. Yes, a person confined to a WC could stay in the cabin, BUT for your own safety, have your caretaker attend it, for sure. The problem is -
the elevators. If your cabin is on the deck above or below the muster station, you can use the elevators prior to the drill only, if you are in the WC (while all others must use the steps ). Now it depends on the vessel how they handle the handicapped AFTER the drill. This Wed it will be our # 14th cruise (on Sun Princess,) and so far to the best of our memory, only the RCI, Nordic Empress was organized enough to make sure, the HP people were first in line for the ride back to the cabin. In most cases, you simply have to wait patiently for all the 500 (+ or - ) healthy cruisers to use the elevator first. I am intentionally using a "singular" since on the first day the other elevators are beeing used to propel tons of luggage to our staterooms.
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Life boat drill

I have 2 kids in wheelchairs we were on the Star Princess in July to Alaska. About a half hour prior to the muster I took the life jackets and we went down to the deck for our station and sat outside looking at the water until the bells went off. When it was time to go back to the cabins a Princess employee saw us waiting at the elevators and took us over to the elevators that were not in use because the embarkation and took us back to our cabin.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:36 AM
Passenger

We just returned from the Navigator. My wife was in a wheelchair. While waiting for the elevator to go down to muster stations, we encountered a friendly ship employee. We explained that we were experenced cruisers who had been through many muster drills and knew the routine and already knew where our muster station was. He said that he felt it was unnecessary in our case to attend. He promptly wheeled my wife back to our room and informed our cabin stewart not to disturb us during the drill.

If you are an experienced cruiser, try this. It just might work.

Glenn
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:26 PM
Passenger

Thanks all! I appreciate the input. This will be our 3rd cruise together - and my 5th so I think we could consider ourselves experienced. I'll try it.

I am getting excited!

Carnival Destiny