Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Passenger

Default Princess and Tender Service

We are travelling on the New Years Sailing on the Golden Princess Eastern Carribean with my wheelchair vound father-in-law. The tickets say that wheelchair access is limited if tender is needed. What does this mean? My wife is thinking of cancelling the cruise due to this uncertainty that her father maynot be able to get off the ship. Have you eve heard of not being able to get off the ship. What does anyone know about this?
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Princess and Tender Service

Princess will make every effort to get someone in a wheelchair off the ship if it is safe. If you father in law is able to walk onto the tender they will load his chair and it won't be a problem, but if he is unable to walk at all like my 2 kids it will depend on the conditions of the sea that day. Even he has to stay on the ship that day there is so much to do on the ship.
Old November 29th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

What are your ports of call? Tendering is requierd only at a few ports (Grand Cayman is always a tender, St. Maarten is a possible tender.) Sea conditions dictate if tendering is possible - and even if tendering is possible for able bodied pax, it may be prohibited for w/c bound pax because of the risk not only to them but he crew that would have to try and get them on and off the tender. The Captain has the final say in who can and cannot go ashore.

Old December 1st, 2003, 06:09 AM
Sara Haynes

St. Maarten uses a dock and does not tender.
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Sara - it depends on how many ships are in port at the same time for St. Maarten.

Old December 1st, 2003, 05:51 PM
David S

As Surprising as this sounds, they are guarenteeing berthing at a dock in St. Martin. The problem is in St. Thomas. They say you may have to tender there.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 04:30 PM
Vladimir and Elfrieda

If you are refering to the Eastern Caribbean Itinerary, starting on Dec 27, from Ft L. your concern will be only the stop at Princess Cays. There is no dock, or pier there and it all depends on the weather. It is only accessible by tender and I remember once, the ship did not even stop at Princess Cays because of choppy seas.
Your other stops, at St Maarten and St Thomas should not be of any problem. Have in mind that Princess has special tours on St Thomas for the HP, with an accessible bus, all perfect for the wheelchair. If your party is interested in shopping, St Thomas has a fairly new mall right next to the dock where Princess usually docks. It is all level and
one can manouver the WC without much effort.
By all means, do not cancell your booking, there is only a very slight chance, that you will be "confined" on board, if you do not choose to go ashore. My wife and I are quite
happy to have the vessel to ourselves, there is always so much to do onboard.
Have a great cruise!
Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:43 PM
Sara Haynes

Lisa - Golden Princess always docks in St. Maarten.
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Karen m

Does any know about Crnival and docking into St Maarten Barbados, Martinqu, Belize, Key WEest {Progreso Costa Rica and Colon Panamma which ones are tender and is there any accessible vans in these places and accessibility places to see we have a daughter who is 23 who has cp

Karen
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Passenger

Tender means that if the ship cannot come into dockside it is necessary to go via Tender which is a boat that takes you to land.

If you are going on the Eastern Caribbean on the Golden Princess no problem.....St Thomas has dockside and you can get off, St Maarten the same. The only place they used the Tender was on their Private Island which is a beach area and I, personally did not go off because of all the sand.............I don't need that.

I have been on two Princess Cruises, Golden, Grand and this year the Star and I am wheelchair bound and had no problem..............so take Dad and have a good time.

Be sure you get a handicapped room, very important!

Enjoy, Irene
Old June 21st, 2004, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Every cruise line always includes in their information that tendering (in general for all passengers) is done only if conditions are safe. For those in wheelchairs who must be lifted on/off tenders (Princess, etc.) or use tender lifts (RCL, HAL, etc.) the parameters of what is safe are a lot narrower. They may not allow him to go ashore at a tender port if the conditions are rough, or are expected to get rough before his return. This just goes with cruising. We always make a back-up plan for staying on the ship if needed. We recently did this in Cabo...my dad went ashore, but I stayed with my mother on the ship. Cabo is not my favorite port (been there many times) and we had a nice relaxing day seeing a movie and sitting out by the pool (with few other people there, it was nice and quite). It does not have to be a disaster if you just make a contingency for the fact that it can happen.

Princess is no longer on our list of cruise lines though, as their disabled services are not up to the quality of HAL or RCL or Celebrity.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:53 PM
McCall

Default Re: Re: Princess and Tender Service

The Golden Princess is "supposed" to dock in St. Thomas, last Feb it in fact did NOT and we tendered from quite a way out. I was carried backward and almost upside down onto the stupid tender while everyone else on it watched, to their great amusement I am sure, I was the Last one allowed on and that after they filled the previous one that we had been waiting for and were supposed to be last on. All because the Captain was afraid of the wind in port. It was also his last voyage before going home.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:11 PM
George Jr

'
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM
nathasha

Hi everyone!
www.audacitymagazine.com is searching for experienced travelers with disabilities to share their experiences with their readers on its online forum.
If you can go to www.audacitymagazine.com and click on its message board there is a section for travel.
If you know someone with a disabilitiy who enjoys fashion and make up they can be a part of a panel that our Beauty and Fashion Editor, Starr Vaughn, has put together. Random winners will be drawn on a monthly basis to recieve free products and other great surprises.

We are also looking for writers to share their views on everything from cooking to politics.

Thank you,
Nathasha
www.audacitymagazine.com
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Belize is tendered, Key West and Progresso were dockside - Glory, March 2004. Jennifer