Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Disabled RCCL cabin pics uploaded

Hi all,

I just uploaded 10 pics of Cabin 2007 on the Monarch of the Seas on Royal Caribbean. I think this will give a good idea what to expect on an inside room on RCCL. Check the deck plan and see whether it jives with any RCCL cruise cabin you may be interested in. Hope this helps future cruisers -- there was nothing online to see a disabled cabin, so I am glad I could help.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Houa Yang

Default Re: Disabled RCCL cabin pics uploaded

Hello,

Where can I find those pictures of the accessible cabin room?
My fiance is in a wheelchair and we are going on RCCL: the Sovereign of the Seas on May 31st. This is our first time and we have no idea what it's like.

Houa

hym@charter.net
Old January 19th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Passenger

We were on Carnival Imagination last March & my son was in a handicapped room. He was in a motorcycle accident 3 yrs ago yesterday and is in a wheelchair. This room was amazing!! I wish that I could do our bathroom at home tike his room on the ship!!

Old January 19th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Houa,

Just go to Photo Galleries under "Interactive Features" ... it's the 8th gallewry down.

The Sovereign is a sister to the Monarch, so this should give you a great idea of what to expect.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much Harry!! This was alot of help to us. We do have a better idea of what the cabin should look like.

Thanks again.

Houa**
hym@charter.net

Old January 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Oh great -- glad to hear I could help!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Harry, you make me wish I had taken detailed pictures of cabin 3606 on
Enchantment of the Seas.

It was our second cruise. We requested handicapped when we booked, because of my frequent reliance on a wheelchair. We thought, perhaps, the door would be a bit wider than on a typical cabin. On the deckplan, it appears to be only the size of two conventional cabins, and that's all we expected--not really that big. However, when we opened the door, we could see straight back to just a sitting area with a bunk niche directly above and no window where one would be expected. But when we went into the room....

...The room must have been, in total square footage, 3 times as big as a conventional cabin. The bathroom was completely roll in-roll out, the shower itself, twice as big as a typical shower stall, also roll in-roll out. A portable shower seat was included. The bathroom took up a full quarter of the cabin space.

The main sleeping area, almost as big as a single cabin, was basically a fore and aft running wing off the rest of the cabin. The picture window was enormous! The head of the king-size bed was against the after bulkhead. There was an additional fold down bunk niche over the bed. Along the outboard bulkhead of the bathroom, running the length of the bed, was a dresser with mirror. The safe was located under the counter, along with storage for luggage. This was in addition to the large closet along the forward bulkhead. Along that same bulkhead, was the table.

Features not mentioned anywhere that I read, and thus complete surprises, were the refrigerator, coffee table, and cordless phone. I think it took myself, my wife, and my sister-in-law a full 45 minutes to get our jaws back into their normal upright positions after seeing what we had unknowingly booked.

[I tried to post a kind of stick figure drawing of the cabin using keyboard characters, but the site presents it in an ineffective manner. Sorry.]

I think, in order to ever have a room that size again, we'd probably have to book a suite! I just wih I knew the dimensions. Note to self: carry miniature tape measure in camera bag on future cruises.

Steve

Post Edited (01-22-04 09:09)

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Steve, I know what you mean about the inaccurate info online about the size of the cabins. Ours was easily 1 and a half to 1 and 3/4 as large than a standard inside. I was surprised with the sofa. That should make it very comfortable for those in wheelchair so they don't have to be in it at all times in the cabin.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:14 PM
mikeh

Default Re: Re: Disabled RCCL cabin pics uploaded

Hi,
I am sailing on the Imagination in Oct. My girlfriend is confined to a wheelchair. I have not been on a cruise before, so I don't know what to expect with her. Can you give me any advice and what tours to take? Any other advice would be helpful. I think our room is on main.
Thanks!
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Disabled RCCL cabin pics uploaded

Where are you going on your cruise?

If she cannot walk at all, then don't depend on the ship to get you any shore excursions. Few ports, even in the USA have fully accessible tours. If she can transfer, plan to take cabs or rent a car and explore on your own.

If she is cruising, she is not "confined". A wheelchair allows her the freedom and mobility to travel. Without the wheelchair, she would probably be "confined" to bed.
Old October 17th, 2004, 04:26 PM
L. Swenson

Default Re: Re: Re: Disabled RCCL cabin pics uploaded

I'm wondering if you went on a cruise with your girlfriend? If so, how did it go? We are considering taking our daughter on a cruise. She had an accident two years ago, and this would be her first trip . Just don't know what to expect or if it would go well. Thanks, L. Swenson
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:35 AM
Mike.h

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Disabled RCCL cabin pics uploaded

Everything went great! She had access basicly to go anywhere on the ship. The handicap room was perfect.
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jennincincy

Here is a picture of our cabin on Mariner of the Seas. Our room was a Jr. Suite, and well worth the extra price for a suite IMO. Hope this helps!

Old January 25th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Candy Harrington

Monarch is a really old RCI ship that has been retrofitted. Not fair to judge the whole fleet (and some really accessible ships) on that one old ship. RCI does a great job on the newer ships. That's a clue, no matter what line you choose look for newer ships, not an old "retrofitted" ship.

Candy Harrington
Editor, Emerging Horizons
***edited to remove commercial reference***
The only accessible travel magazine
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jennincincy
Default Re: Re: Disabled RCCL cabin pics uploaded

It is true that the older ships don't meet up to the standards of the newer ships. The picture I send previously was intended to give a different perspective of what a difference a newer ship (and suite) can make in regards to a room. Sorry if there was any confusion about the picture.