Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Wheel Chairs

Hello: I am going on the Carnival Ship Holiday out of New Orleans on April 10, Can't wait. My 78 year old Mother will be with me. She will be taking her walker with us. Does anyone know if we can secure a wheel chair after we board the ship? Or don't we really need one? First cruise and don't know much about ship board. Also - how do we make sure that we do not get a room with bunk beds. My TA doesn't seem to want to contact me and answer my questions. Thanks for the help. Toni
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Wheel Chairs

Wheel chairs are few and far between on the ship and are first come basis. I would suggest renting one for the cruise - it's not that expensive. Or rent a scooter - some companies will deliver it right to the dock. Why risk hoping the cruise line has a chair and then not getting it - sure would make for a misserable cruise then.

Old March 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Tammy Adams

Hi Toni - my husband and I have cruised more than 7 times and I own a wheelchair...I can't tell how much easier and more convenient for you and your mother if you were to insist that the cruiseline provide your mother a wheelchair onboard the ship. The only disadvantage to using a wheelchair onboard is the long wait for the elevator(s).....other than that, it is an invaluable tool for your mother (and you) to get around the massive ship ! I would contact the cruiseline (not your T.A.) directly and explain your situation to them. Also, it's too bad that you've already booked your cruise because you can request for a "handicap" cabin when you first make your booking. Handicap cabins are not advertised by the cruiselines (as there are only a few of them), but if you as request for them, 9 out of 10 times, they would honor your request (provided that you supply them with proof of handicap). This info may be of help for you and your mother in the future cruises, but for the present, at least insist on requesting or, if the last resort, rent a wheelchair for your mother.... she'll appreciate, believe me !!

Have lots of fun and good luck!!!
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Luvjoy1948

Thank you so much for the advice. This site is fantastic - I have learned so very much. Have a wonderful day. Toni

Carnival Ship - Holiday

Old March 18th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Toni, if she has any degree of need for the chair, I urge you take one along. If necessary, contact a rental vender in the port city to have one available for the week.

They can be very hard to find aboard. In fact, the cruiseline's default position may be that they're "unavailable" on board. Also, be aware that even though roll stabilizers and such mostly attenuate the effects of ocean waves, there can still be subtle, almost imperceptible rolls and pitches that can throw the most stable walkers off balance.
She will find the chair almost indispensible for traversing the full length of the ship without fatigue. Her safety at sea could well depend on it.

Steve

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Luvjoy1948

Steve: Thanks for the much needed advice. I really do appreciate it. Toni
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM
HannaS77

I suggest that you review my earlier reply of this date on a disabled passengers question.