Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:07 AM
JIM SMITH

Default hospital beds

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE DELIVERY AND USE OF HOSPITAL BEDS ON CRUISE SHIPS.
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: hospital beds

why would you want to have a hospital bed on a cruise? dont misunderstand me, im a home health care nurse with 20 experience. cruise ships are not that easy to get aroun d on. it sounds like your health is not good, if you need a hospital bed. why not think about taking an all-inclusive trip somewhere? this way you can plan ahead for the bed, and have plenty of room to move around in your room.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:32 PM
JIM SMITH

THERE ARE MANY REASONS TO NEED A HOSPITAL BED. YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER OVER ALL CONFORT. PLUS HOSPITAL BEDS ARE HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE. I HAVE SAILED/CRUISED 6 TIMES AND THE HEIGHT OF THE BED HAS BEEN AN ISSUE EVERY TIME. NO ONE WANTS TO SLEEP ON TWO MATTRESS.THERE ARE MANY MEDICAL SUPPLY PLACES THAT PROVIDE THIS SERVICE TO CRUISE LINES. I JUST WANTED TO GET INFO FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS HAD SOME EXPERIENCE.
Old February 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM
First Mate

We have never used them, but I understand that CareVacations will rent and deliver a hospital bed. Not sure of the quality of the mattress so you may want to take an overlay if you are prone to pressure ulcers. My mother has an adjustable bed at home, but we just use the ship's bed...she misses her bed from home, but we make it work because it is easier. We have had to have the extra mattress a few times to make the bed high enough for us to use our travel lift appropriately, but this has not caused a problem for us.

Any nurse who assumes that everyone who uses a hospital bed is sick does not know much about disability. Hospital beds make life easier for both people with disabilities and those who provide their care. Severe disability is not an illness...many people who have significant disabilities are in better health than a lot of AB people I know (I am a rehab nurse in addition to a part-time caregiver for my mother who has tetraplegia due to MS).

Jim, you may want to avoid using all caps. On the internet this is considered the same as shouting and it is also difficult for many to read.
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Sarahsmom

I thought the same thing when I read this: "Who would want to take a hospital bed on a cruise." This may be useful if you where going on a long cruise but for a week or less cruise I myself would think this would me more trouble than its worth. The rooms aren't too big..
What we do is bring a pressure air mattress. It had a small pump that keeps the air moving, this would help those who need higher beds. It folds up and can fit into a suitcase. I bring an extention cord because usually there are not enough plugs in the room. When my husband wants to sit up in bed, I stick pillows behind his back. It there is a chair or couch in the room i use the cushions to prop him up. He always carries a bean bag lap tray to eat breakfast in bed. Another thing you don't spend a lot of time in your room. I bring the air mattress on all vacations, hotel rooms and friends house. It works well for us. This is not the kind air mattress you use for swimming,