Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Mickeymom923
Default Electric carts at airports

On my last trip to take my cruise, I flew out of Philadelphia Int'l Airport. I requested an electric cart to take us to our terminal since I was traveling with my 85 year old mother and my two teens that have congenital myasthenia. Basically they have a muscle weakness and get easily fatigued. Technically, they have a somewhat invisable disability. When the cart arrived & we proceeded to get on it, I was told that since there was nothing wrong with my teens, they had to walk. I tried to explain that they have a disability but the driver kept arguing with me, to the point of me asking to see a supervisor. Again, she agreed with the driver of the cart and finally instead of making the scene even worse, she finally agreed to let us all on. I just want to say, that just because you can't see a disability and the person is young, people should not assume that they don't have any. People have been very rude to us and assume it's the older people with disabilities, not young ones.
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Electric carts at airports

Why did they even argue with you? What did it matter if 2 more people gt on the cart! I know that the people who have not needed special requirements have spoiled things for those that do eed it, but there is no reason for the airlines to cause this kind of scene. Just uncalled for! I would right a letter to that air port/air line so that they are aware of this. They won't know unless they are told.
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Mickeymom923
Default Re: Electric carts at airports

Cruisequeen,
I guess you are right but honestly I don't think the airlines would have cared. I go through this everytime I travel. At the Philly airport, they have a real attitude. Thanks for your advise. Maybe I will try it.
Bev