Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to imabusy
Default Kids with Special Needs

I have a daugther with special needs I would like to take on a cruise. She will be 9 when were are planning on taking her. She is in a wheelchair and is not potty trained although I do cather her every three hours, she still wears diapers inbetween. Other then those two issues, she is very mobile and loves doing things. Since this would be our first cruise I would like to know if anyone can tell me which cruise line would be best in her situation. I know you have to be potty trained to do the kids clubs and can't wear swim diapers in the pool. I was just wondering if there is enough other things to keep her busy.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Kids with Special Needs

I have 2 daughters in wheelchair ages 6 and 14 with Spina Bifida. Since you said she caths does she have SB?

My kids go to the Princess Kids program with no problem. They both cath before they go in and then when they come out for lunch they cath again and they cath again after they eat at night and go back. They both are on bowel programs so swimming isn't an issue for us either since they won't have an accident.
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Candy Harrington

Carnival does not require kids to be potty trained in order to participate in their kids programs. The do require however that parents provide all changing supplies (diapers, lotion, etc). They are the only cruise line that allows non potty trained kids to do this. The others do not make exceptions (even if the kids just wear diapers in case of an accident). I've had good reports from many of our readers about their experience with kids and Carnival. The caveat is that some of their cabins can be small for more than 2 people, especially if one is a wc-users and their drainage in the roll-in showers is horrible. But the kids have fun in their kids program and as I said all kids can participate.

Candy Harrington
Editor, Emerging Horizons
The only accessible travel magazine.
***edited to remove commercial reference***
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Passenger

What do you mean whith swim diapers??

Voyager of the seas 12 Mars 2005
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:53 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to terriann50 Send a message via Yahoo to terriann50
Default special kids

My son is 14 and we took him on a cruise last september. He has a genetic disorder and is developmentally delayed and physically challenged he can crawl but cannot walk unassisted at all. We were told that he could go to the kids program before we went on the cruise but in reality when we got there he was not allowed to go because he couldnt go with his age group and they wouldnt let him go with the younger group.

Just my experience!