Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM
HannaS

Default Renting Scooter

Can anyone recommend a firm that will rent me a scooter. Embarking & disembarking
San Diego on 8 day cruise. Got a quote from Scootaround for $330 plus insurance cost. Seems to be high ??
HannaS
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: Renting Scooter

There is a company called Care Vacations, you might try them for cost. They work with the cruise lines and local suppiers.
You do need to inform special services on the cruise line you have chosen. Also get the name of the company that Care Vacations uses for San Diego and follow up..

Old March 20th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Candy Harrington

Personally i've always felt that Scoot Around was overpriced, but to be honest they are only acting as a agent. It's not like you are renting from a "scoot around" store. They find a local supplier and then negotiate a deal and then tack on their commission. If you want to find the lowest price , hit the yellow pages in your destination and deal direct (with the same place scoot around is contracting with).

Candy Harrington
Editor, Emerging Horizons
***edited to remove commerial reference***
The only accessible travel magazine
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:41 AM
HannaS

I want to thank those that answered my earlier question. I downloaded Google and wrote in the keyword or search area, "Yellow Pages search- Handicapped Equipment in the San Diego area." Google came up with about a dozen. I called 4 listed firms and it seems each has some sort of problem, the most important impediment was that the cruise returns on Sunday and no one seems to work on that day to pick up the scooter.

While our ship leaves from San Diego, I assume if your ship leaves from Los Angeles, Seattle or Vancouver, Google Yellow page can be of help.

After all my calls I hope the wife does not say she does not want to use a scooter' She may reply, remember that fat lady that ran over your toe and squashed it ?" On another cruise the scooter driver ran into the chow line in the Lido restaurant knopcking over two passengers with full trays.

Thanks again.

HannaS
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Sea-soned 1

carevacations.com was a company I found to be a little less expensive than any other. All were expensive for scooters, so I took my own scooter, and rented a folding wheelchair for shore excursions.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM
cajuncruiser

We're to got on Jewel OTS in July from England around Brish Isles & do Norway & Amsterdam. Is it going to be difficult to gey my powerchair from New Orleans to England & back.Or is it cheaper/easier to rent once we're in England ?
My wife wants to take my walker,w/c & p/c.
Thanks
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM
First Mate

I would recommend taking your own scooter if you can. They are often taken aboard planes and rarely are damaged. You would also have the opportunity to use it in the airport and while waiting to board the ship, unlike a scooter that is delivered to the ship. Remember that there is no excess baggage charge for wheelchairs or scooters when flying as well. This also lets you have a scooter you are used to and have had some time to practice with at home. A scooter is not a scooter is not a scooter.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Happy Camper

ALSO I just talked to NCL about this and you have to have a GelCel battery. They do not allow on the other ones. So make sure when you rent what type of battery it has.. Debbie