Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Default LIGHT WEIGHT WHEELCHAIRS THAT CNA BREAKDOWN AND PACK IN BAG

Does anyone know of a manufacturer or wheelchairs that can be folded
yp and packed in a large suitcase? So its easier to take on airlines/ships etc. My wife doesn't always need or want to use a chair and mostly uses a cane or three wheeler at this point. Something like this would be great for me so it could be easily checked and taken along without her having to be self conscience or confined to using it. She would to use it when needed.
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why would you want to put it in a suitcase? Take it to the gate on a plane and have it gate checked and I would think if you needed it on a ship you would need it to board the ship.
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Passenger

xxx
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM
First Mate

Gate checking a wheelchair is so easy (compared to checking it and explaining how it should not be counted in your checked luggage allotment), and having it available for getting to and from the gate so much more convenient, I am at a loss why you would want to have a wheelchair in a bag (probably would not be a very good quality wheelchair anyway). We always use the spare wheelchair (manual, as my mother uses a power chair) as a luggage cart when getting on/off the ship or to and from the plane. We load all our hand luggage on it and it works great.
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Beginner

There is a company that makes aproduct called wheelchair in a bag.I have purchased one and find it very practical and easy to travel with.
Their website is www.wheelchairinabag.com
877-737-9877
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Passenger

I have to agree with the other posters..it is so easy to take a wheelchair on a plane. My husband can walk, but he has multiple health problems and gets tired very easily. We bought a small travel wheelchair that weighs only 27 lbs.has handbrakes on the push handles , and the seatback folds down. It is compact and works great in airports and we just check it when we get on the plane and it is waiting right outside the door of the plane when we get off. We have also put our carryons in it when the distance isn't long. We plan on taking it on the plane and our cruise because the Grand is so big. That way, he can use it when he needs it. We bought it from an online dealer called spinlife.com.

Old March 7th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the web site, we will check it out. We have been using a transport chair that is only 17# and it seems to work great.
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Yeoman

I'll tell you why NOT to check a wheel chair with the gate personel. They do not care if they are carefull with your chair. They have been know to throw the chair or jam it into the cargo area. I have had friends end up with bent frames, or wheels and torn seats. I have been lucky and never had any of this happen to me, but I have had friends tell me their horror stories!
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Is there an extra charge when you use your own chair and then have
the airline attendants "stow" it for you???