Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM
Beginner

Default DO I NEED A WHEELCHAIR

I HAVE POST POLIO AND HAVE HAD TWO KNEES REPLACED BUT NT SUCCESSFULLY. ONCE I AM SEATED I HAVE TROUBLE GETTING UP UNLESS THERE ARE STURDY ARMS ON THE CHAIR. MY WALKING IS USUALLY OK UNLESS I AM TIRED, i CAN ONLY GO UP AND DOWN STAIRS SLOWLY AND SIDEWAYS. I AM SCARED WHAT WILL HAPPEN DURRING THE LIFE BOAT DRILL. WE HAVE BOOKED THE HAL DELUX SUITE. AND ASKED FOR A SHOWER SEAT. I HAVE CRUISED MANY TIMES BEFORE BUT NOT IN THIS CONDITION. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Travel,

Don't worry about the lifeboat drill, just let someone at the purser's desk know that you would need assistance in the MOST UNLIKELY situation where anyone would have to abandon ship. A wheelchair sounds like a good idea, because the length of the ship is VERY long and no need for you to exhaust yourself throughout the cruise.

Another suggestion that my sister & I learned when we took my mother on a cruise who was in a wheelchair, when waiting for an elevator during busy times, push both the UP and DOWN button and take whichever way it goes! It always has to return, and you won't be waiting forever for an elevator with plenty of room!

Have a great time!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Most definitely take a wheelchair or rent one from a provider near the port.
Ships are large and getting from Point A to Point B can be tedious.
As far as lifeboat drill, those with mobility problems are allowed to use elevators.
Or you can go to your assigned station 15 minutes before the drill, taking your time and using the elevator.
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Passenger

How about a scooter? I use one for trips to places that require lots of walking, such as Disney. I usually use a cane, but for those trips with lots of walking, I always rent a scooter.
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM
Beginner

I too have post polio syndrome. Stairs and slopes of any kind are a big problem. In the past I have relied on my DH to give me support in walking and we could do a lot. We have cruised all over to many countries. Now, however, my DH has ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease) and he is the one who needs help getting around. He will be using a wheelchair when we go on our transatlantic cruise at the end of October. At least I'll have something to hold on to as I push him! Go early to the muster if you can stand for a time otherwise go later and use the elevator.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

A scooter would be even better to use on the ship. It's hard to push a wheelchair over miles and miles of carpeting. It's even harder to push yourself in a wheelchair over carpeting. A folding wheelchair would be best for taking off of the ship, for shore excursions, as they can be folded and put in the trunk of a taxi or in the luggage bays of a bus.
You can rent either or both of the above at home and take them with you, or you can rent from CareVacations.com or Scootaround.com, and they will have them in your cabin waiting for you when you arrive for your cruise, and you leave them in your cabin when you get off the ship. Very easy. If you DO decide to rent/purchase at home, the airlines carry wheelchairs and scooters as luggage, at no cost to you. You can even ride them to the gate, check them there, and have them delivered to the gate at your destination.
If you have trouble walking distances at all, I would definitely have some chair or scooter ready to use when you get tired. Scooters give you more independence, but chairs are less cumbersome. You would have to have a cabin with a door wide enough to admit a scooter, or a folding wheelchair if you do not have a handicapped cabin.
Have a great cruise!
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Don't worry about lifeboat drills. My wife can't do them and no one complains. Using elevators is not at all bad (my wife can't do stairs - period) if you have a little patience.
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear
Default Wheelchair advice

I walk fairly well at short distances but just cannot do long distances. I plan on renting a wheelchair but I intend to leave it at the door of the dinning room, theater, pool etc. Will I have any worries of someone taking it? Thank you. Honeybear
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Admiral

We often cruise with a friend who uses a wheelchair .When she is in the dining room the wheelchair is kept in a specific area to keep it safe .
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Honeybear...once you board, check asap about, where they will allow you to leave your chair...I hate to say this, but, it could be taken. Ask your rental company if there is some kind of lock available, that could be easily removed, by you for peace of mind, if left unattended.

What ports are you going to?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 9th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

We are going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Cozumel is no problem we have retained a personal tour guide with a van. I'm not real worried about the other two ports because I don't care if we even get off of the ship in those ports. There's not much I can do there.
Thank you for your suggestion. Honeybear
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Familiar Face

I have lymes disease and rocky mtn. My knees and walking have me questioning a wheelchair with us booking our first cruise. Just from talking to carnival not sure about anything else. Unless its a handicap room. Don't think they called it that. But regular rooms you can't have a scooter. It doesn't fit. You can just have a push cuz you can fold it. ... I was wondering about leaving at entrances also. Good short distance. Not much on overdoing it. Btw my mom had polio at 4. Has had both knees replaced also. Much love to ya.
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I've found another guide that could be useful for people who are cruising in 2013 and are concerned about disabilities.

I found it useful when a friend of mine was going on holiday with his family, whos granddad had to be in a wheelchair.

It has options for, Carnival Cruises, Royal Caribbean and P&O to name a few.

Last edited by Kuki; March 5th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.