Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Beginner

Default Am I being Unreasonable?

Ok so I am wanting to go on my first cruise. I am severely disabled with Muscular Dystrophy and require round the clock care.

I am wanting to attend Carnival Victory cruise with a group.

Now, here is my situation... I cannot travel by myself or without someone that knows hands down my specific needs.

I am trying to save my money to go on this cruise. It is $750 per person. Now, my question is... I have put a call into carnival. I simply cannot go without specific help. So that means I have to pay $750 to go two times to pay for my caregiver (not to mention passports, flight - which I have put a call in for that too)
I understand the rates are double occupancy rates. But that still means I end up paying $1800 just for ME to be able to go.

Is it not right of me to ask carnival cruise lines to comp or at the very least discount my caregivers ticket in order for me to be able to attend? Trust me, I would love to be able to go by myself... but I simply cannot.

Has anyone here run into this, or think they may even do it? I have to put in another call to their special needs department and I plan on speaking to a supervisor.
Essentially I am asking to comp food as that is the only part in reality they would lose money on. As if I were by myself, my room would still have two beds in it.

I have already checked on handicapped rooms and all of that too.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I have to pay double fees for everything then I will not be able to attend. Probably ever.
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM
First Mate

All cruise lines make it very clear in their "small print" that people with disabilities are responsible for their own care, and if they need assistance, that you must bring someone with you. Many people with disabilities need the assistance of a spouse or PCA. You are not going to find a cruise ship (or an airline) that will give you room and board for a PCA for free, or even at a discount. Because we have to have an accessible cabin, we pay premium prices too (rarely are the accessible cabins in the cheaper categories).

If you went by yourself, you would still have to pay the single supplement, which is generally 150-200% of the rate, so you won't really be spending much more money to pay for a PCA.

I travel with my parents as my father at 83 is too old to do my mother's needed care. He pays my way, which I appreciate as I get a cruise out off this. I have accompanied them on 15 cruises. You should find a friend or family member who is willing to go for you for only the cost of the cruise. Most PCAs would require some salary in addition to you paying their transportation/food/hotel costs.

No one owes you a cruise, or support for your needed PCA.
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

My father would be the one traveling with me. I do not think I am "owed" a cruise. I just feel its very sad in order for someone to go that absolutley cannot go by themselves have to pay double fares and that won't be waived as a courtesy as long as medical nessacity is proven.

My parents cannot afford to pay for any of it. This is MY dream, so I would be paying for my Dad to attend.
But with having to pay for my caregiver also, flight, passport and cruise fare. I will not be able to pull it off.
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Dear Misty,

It is unfortunate the different life's situations that people find themselves in, but the cruiselines aren't responsible for your position, and, after all, they are a profit-making business! If they started giving discounts for caretakers, you can be SURE the policy would be abused and probably seriously affect their financial status!

The best thing you can do is either save up a bit longer so that everyone can enjoy the cruise (and how nice to take your Dad! What wonderful memories you will have....) or plan for a shorter cruise that you can enjoy with a caretake for yourself. My sister joined my mother & I on a cruise, and with her being the 3rd person in a room, only had to pay $200 for a 3 day cruise! Now that was a good deal...you might try to find a good travel agent would could get you some good bargains...

Good luck!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Yeoman

Misty, check with the people at special services for the cruise line.
They may be able to give you advice.
Most cruise lines have a staff that deals with disabilities issues, and they may offer some insight as far as taking along an aide.
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Beginner

Thank you for the replies!

I did check with the cruises special needs dept. they wouldn't offer any further discounts (which I didnt suspect they would) but hey... dont hurt to ask!

I am going on this particular cause I am getting a group rate for going with a great conference of people. Also cause the deposit was only $25 a person and I must stay longer cause flying in, doing the cruise in 3 days or so then back home is too much for me to handle.

Come hell or high water (no pun intended) I will save enough to go!
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I too cannot cruise by myself but I do not expect any special consideration by the cruise line to discount or omit the fare for the person traveling with me. They are not responsible for my condition or my care.

I really do feel for you. I wish I could travel on my own. I would be able to take many more cruises and expand my writing and cruise knowledge but there are challenges to a disability that we must face and not feel that others must overcome them for us.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 17th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Beginner

off topic for a cruise website... but FYI Amtrak offers a half price companion fare. Or at least they used to. My husband is blind, when I booked our first amtrak trip I asked about the use of their handicapped room. the reservation agent told me about the half price companion fare. Saved us about 300.00 Before he discovered cruising, we travelled yearly on a long train trip. Now we cruise. I highly recommend train travel.
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yeoman

I don't think there is any vacations that offer special assistance to people or offer any special rates for those traveling with someone who needs assistance. None of the all inclusives, no resorts, no group travel companies.... Nothing I can think of would offer you what you are questioning.
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Passenger

Even if you could take care of yourself, and cruised in a cabin by yourself, the cruise line would charge you double the cruise fare as a single supplement. So regardless if you have a caretaker or travel by yourself, you're gong to have to pay both fares. I'm disabled, but I don't require assistance, but I have to pay the single supplement because I cruise as a solo passenger.
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Beginner

U ARE NOT BEING UNREASABLE, ALL FOOD IS FREE EXCEPT SODA AND AWATER AND ALCOHOL