Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Default Great HC Room On Oosterdam

I wanted to post this before I forget. We are in a Superior Verandah Suite room 5001. It is very wide, with roll in shower and ramp over threshold to the balcony. We were able to use the scooter in Juneau and will use it here. In Sitka we were tendered so DH used a walker with assistance from the crew. In Juneau we rode a gondola from town up to a nature and raptor center. We ate in the restaurant at the top of the mountain and were able to use the scooter everywhere and every one was very helpful. So HAL gets a thumbs up for handicapped accessability. Not so the ship condition in general. This ship is due for dry dock and not a moment too soon. We will be on the Westerdam in November in a VA balcony (also accessable) and will be able to compare the two different rooms then.
Liberty
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Yeoman

We sail with HAL exclusively b/c it is so accessible.
My DH uses a power wheelchair.
We have sailed on the Oosterdam and Westerdam [and twice on the Zuiderdam] and we have had VAs -- 6003 and 6004.
We also had an SS once, on the Zuiderdam, and did not like it. The size was great, but the configuration of the bathroom was not.
My DH did not like the shower being with the toilet -- everything got soaked, and I was always mopping the floor.

[When you close the shower curtain, you and the toilet are on the same side!]
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Passenger

We just got back from the Westerdam, we were in 6003. It was great. A little smaller than 5001 but the bathroom arrangement was much better. The toilet was not inside the shower curtain so the TP stayed dry. No tub, but I never use it anyway. Looked at some nice inside HC rooms on the main deck. 1012 and 1074 were large enough to turn the wheelchair around and the bathrooms were perfect. Kitty
Liberty