Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Beginner

Default Traveling with Oxygen Concentrator

We are booked on the coral for the panama canal
Jan 6, 2008. I was just put on a Oxygen Concentrator.
Will I have trouble getting my machine’s on the ship.
I have to be on O2 24/7. I also have small tanks with back pack
that I can refill.
How do you get your oxygen concentrator systems on the ship I
have been looking for Telefoling Platform Truck.
My unit comes with 3 prices plus small tanks.
We are in a Mini Suite will I need 50 feet of hose or can
I just take 25 ft. My TA is finding out all the paperwork or
other things the cruise line may want from me.

Is there any thing else I may need to know. ??
I can use all the help I can get Thank You

FryGirl
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Beginner

Default concentrator on Ship

How are you getting to the ship? Are you flying to the ship? If so, you won't be able to take all your oxygen equipment onboard the plane. Airlines just allow portable concentartors on planes, and definetly no tanks on the plane.
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Passenger

If you are driving to the port, it is my understanding that you must transport all oxygen equipment yourself, that the ship staff cannot handle it. I could be wrong on that. I am oxygen 24/7 and I rented a portable unit for our cruise last year and it worked out great. There are slo a couple of companies that the cruise lines will allow you to rent concentrators and tanks from and they will be in your cabin when you get on the ship, but you will still need something from point A to your cabin.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

wonder if they would let you use them while snorkeling? save in renting tanks for some excursions maybe as well.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Beginner

Default Oxygen Information

Here's a website with useful tips about traveling with oxygen. This company has a department that specializes in booking cruises for people with disabilities...

http://www.vacationstogo.com/supplemental_oxygen.cfm
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Passenger

I have been on Carnival 4 times since being on 02 24 hours a day.

You will have to transport all equipment onto the boat yourself but you can ask for a porter as long as you ride or walk along with the equipment to supervise it.'

The 25 foot cord will be plenty.

Sometimes I drive to the port with my own equipment and sometimes I rent it and pick it up the day before the cruise. I use a concentrator at night and liquid in portables when out of the cabin.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Beginner

Have you thought about renting a concentrator. The Sequal Eclipse will work in your room and you can take it on the go without worrying about tanks. The only thing you will need to do is make sure you have enough batteries so you can spend hours away from a plug.
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Beginner

Just like what Ultahealth said. I would recommend you just rent a portable oxygen concentrator like the Sequal Eclipse 3. It is one of the only portables that is able to be used 24/7, and I know plenty of friends that bring the unit with them on their flights or on cruise ships.
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGirl View Post
We are booked on the coral for the panama canal
Jan 6, 2008. I was just put on a Oxygen Concentrator.
Will I have trouble getting my machine’s on the ship.
I have to be on O2 24/7. I also have small tanks with back pack
that I can refill.
How do you get your oxygen concentrator systems on the ship I
have been looking for Telefoling Platform Truck.
My unit comes with 3 prices plus small tanks.
We are in a Mini Suite will I need 50 feet of hose or can
I just take 25 ft. My TA is finding out all the paperwork or
other things the cruise line may want from me.

Is there any thing else I may need to know. ??
I can use all the help I can get Thank You

FryGirl
Contact you oxygen supply place. They do this often. I'm fairly certain you won't be taking your own. They can get you all setup. If your supplier doesn't do this they can direct you. You can also speak to the cruise line and they will give you their policy. I spoke to Apria (nationwide oxygen suppliedr) about a family member wanting to cruise. They told me that they would have the oxygen delivered to the room prior to departure and pick it up at the end of the cruise. My family member also has a portable concentrator that makes oxygen and is very light (5 lbs). It just goes over their shoulder like a purse. I runs for 2-3 hours before it needs a recharge. It also has a battery pack that that will extend the time for another 5 hours (Airsep Freestyle). You can plug them in anywhere. It is extra weight to carry for adapters.
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Oxygen is considered to be a hazardous material, and airlines will not allow passengers to carry it onto an airplane. The portable cylinders were expensive, limited by their small capacity and frequently needed refilling. accomodation in Lisbon Traveling can seem daunting for people who require supplemental oxygen. There are many different brands of oxygen concentrators for sale and for rental to the public from manufactures but I have no knowledge about the names.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Insurance companies can also give you information about a oxygen concentrator. For example if they will cover it, and if it will be covered for a rental or purchase.
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

my daughter uses Oxygen 24/7 too. Last year on our first cruise, I called her supply company and talked to someone in the national office. They told me they wouldn't supply or deliver tanks to the port for us to take out of the country. So, we got tanks ourself and took them on the drive to the port. I bought a rolling hamper and put them in that (8 tanks) & left them with the porters. All labeled with our cabin # & her name. We took her concentrator with us onboard. She used that at night. When she needed another tank during the day, I called for it and they met us & we switched out tanks.

This year, she has the Airsep Freestyle and we are getting the battery pack soon to extend the life. I will still get a few tanks to take for back up when we are out & about if the battery dies.