Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Default Am is disabled??

I am on oxygen 24/7. I do not use a wheelchair. I booked a cabin on an upcoming cruise as a guarantee VF, when I looked there are four disabled cabins in this catagory all near elevators which I really need. I called the line and the travel agent, the TA said they were $200.00 more and the line said tell your travel agent you need something close to elevators not the disabled cabins. I have disabled parking for my car, I received early social security because I cannot work, do I really have to pay more to be in a disabled cabin? Please I would like opinions. I do not want to deny a wheelchair person a cabin, but ......................
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
First Mate

These cabins are really for those with mobility impairments. If you don't need a wheelchair or walker all the time, then don't take these cabins from those who do need the. You have many more options in picking cabins close to the elevators if you have no mobility issues and only need to use oxygen. Why do you think you should have an accessible cabin???
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Passenger

My question was "Am I disabled?". I have a problem walking any distances because of the being on oxygen. I would never want to take a disabled cabin from a wheelchair person, but I have also read that many times these cabins are given at the last minute to totally non-disabled persons and my thought is I wouldn't mind being closer to the elevators etc. I do not feel that it is my right by any means, I was just trying to get other peoples opinions. But I will enjoy my cruise no matter where I end up, just take slower steps and try to breathe deeply.
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by graylady
My question was "Am I disabled?". I have a problem walking any distances because of the being on oxygen. I would never want to take a disabled cabin from a wheelchair person, but I have also read that many times these cabins are given at the last minute to totally non-disabled persons and my thought is I wouldn't mind being closer to the elevators etc. I do not feel that it is my right by any means, I was just trying to get other peoples opinions. But I will enjoy my cruise no matter where I end up, just take slower steps and try to breathe deeply.
"Disabled" is a word that is so broadly defined as to have little practical meaning without specific descriptions. You may indeed have a disability. It sure sounds like it to me. You have described breathing problems which are very limiting. You might wish to look at a deck plan for the ship you want to cruise on. See where the staterooms are located in relation to things such as elevators, places you intend to frequent, etc. Frequently, the rooms which offer barrier-free mobility access are not located in places you would find easy to walk to and from. You might find that a standard stateroom is closer for you and easier for you and an easier walk.

Also, it looks like you booked a Guarantee room. If you require a specific room assignment, you should reserve the specific room you need. Yes, it would probably cost more to book the specific room rather than the guarantee.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
Passenger

Yes you are disabled, but if you want to have a specific room you do have to pay more to pick your room. As far as a disabled room I have found these are not usually in the cheapest catagory. If you don't have to use a chair to get around pick a cabin near the elevator that is not a Hanicapped cabin, and it will most likely be cheaper then the handicapped cabins. Also be aware that if a person who is not legally hanicapped gets a handicap cabin they must give the cabin up to a handicapped person.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Familiar Face

Hi graylady~

I'm not sure which cruise line you are booked on; it doesn't seem fair that they would charge you an extra $200 for a disabled cabin. How much proof are they expecting you to give them? I understand that the disabled cabins need to go to the passengers with disabilities & you are one of those passengers, I think.

I just booked a cruise on Norwegian for my in-laws 50th anniversary. We have seven cabins booked for all of our family members. I had mentioned to my cruise assistant at NCL that I thought my in-laws would do better in a disabled cabin as my mother-in-law has had both knees replaced & very bad vision due to a tumor. YES she can walk, but not far distances. YES she can see, but not very well.

Based on what I told my cruise assistant, my in-laws were assigned a disabled cabin. There was no up-charge & the cabin is guaranteed. It's unfortunate that there are people out there that will make up any story to get a larger cabin, especially when there are people like yourself that really need that disabled cabin.

Maybe you should try calling the cruise line directly again but ask to talk to a supervisor. Hopefully, they will understand your needs & give you a cabin that will allow you to enjoy your cruise. They need to understand that people CAN be considered disabled, even if they don't use a wheel-chair.

Good Luck!

PAST CRUISES:
1998 - Carnival Jubilee
1999 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Norwegian Pearl
2008 - Norwegian Sky
2010 - Norwegian Dawn
2011 - Norwegian Epic
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

OP does NOT require a handicapped cabin but merely one near the elevators. This is not difficult to obtain. DH suffers from COPD emphysema and has been unable to work for nearly 10 years. He does have a handicapped license plate and has occasionally required a wheelchair to embark/disembark, but would never dream of asking for a handicapped cabin as he is not in a wheelchair all the time.

If the OP booked a guarantee cabin to save $200, (s)he should not be complaining about the location of that cabin. There are plenty of cabins near the elevators (we always book one) but one cannot book a guarantee and expect to get one. Conversely, there are also plenty of handicapped cabins that are not located near the elevators.
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yeoman

FYI - It does NOT cost extra for a handicapped cabin IF there is one available in the Cat. you have paid for. Let's not get people all riled up about that.
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLD
These cabins are really for those with mobility impairments. If you don't need a wheelchair or walker all the time, then don't take these cabins from those who do need the. You have many more options in picking cabins close to the elevators if you have no mobility issues and only need to use oxygen. Why do you think you should have an accessible cabin???
I am like you, except I use a walker, and this is what happened to me on the Oosterdam. I booked a handicapped room (right after the 2008 season was announced), because some of the new walkers (like mine) can not fit through the door and traveling alone, I did not have anyone to help me. Well, when I booked my cabin they gave me room an assigned room because I did not want to do the guarantee thing, well when I got to check in, they had moved me and said that the person who was assigned to my room was in a wheel chair, come to find out they weren't but had told the cruise line that they were, so since I said I was in a walker, they bumped me out of the room. Do you want to know what kind of hassle it was to try and get my walker through those doors, I was furious, I went to the Purser's desk and told them that the people in that room were not handicapped and that they only wanted a larger room with a larger balcony, but the purser said that they was nothing he could do about it now since they had checked in and were using the room (I know why he did not want to do anytihng, because then he would have to ticked off customers instead of 1). I have since learned how many people who do not need these rooms abuse it because the Cruise lines to dot require any proof of disability, sure the purser gave me back $100 obc, it still did not help me, every time I had to leave and re-enter my room, and then on top of that, if I brought something back to my room, I would have to walk inside without my walker, I fell 4 times. So if you tell them you are on a walker, that still does not gurarntee you will get a handicapped room. I will be so glad when the lines make people prove that they need a handicapped room. As for the lister, please think about people like me, I am now in a power chair and if there are no handicapped rooms available I do not get to go period, where as you can get a room near the elevator and also near the basic areas of the ship that you are going to be spending most of your time. Please I do feel that you are disabled, don't get me wrong, but if people who can walk keep taking the rooms for people who can't, it is less that we get to travel. Just look at how many years a person in a wheel chair could not travel, just in the last 15 years it has become possible for us to fulfill our dreams of cruising, but we still are limited, we still can only plan one every two years because like I said that handicapped rooms are sold out first.