Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Captain

Default Courtesy towards disabled cruisers.

I just wanted to post this as a reminder to all of us who are fortunate enough to cruise regularly and are not disabled. We were once on a cruise that had a very large number of disabled passengers who were traveling in a group. All of the members of this group had to use wheelchairs and motorized scooters. This meant that they depended on the elevators to reach different areas of the ship.

Everyone who cruises knows how crowded it gets outside the dining rooms just before dinner time and the elevators get quite busy. Well, on this cruise, we saw something happen several times that sickened us. The passengers in the wheelchairs/scooters would be waiting for an elevator to take them to the dining room (one level up or down) and as soon as the doors opened people would rush on ahead of them and they would be left out. We began assisting them, by blocking the opening so they could board and by taking the stairs to allow more of them to use the elevators. We all need to do whatever we can to assist these people so they can enjoy their cruise experience as much as we do. If you are able to take the stairs and there are disabled people waiting on the elevators, please do so. If you also need to use the elevator, take time to assist those in wheelchairs to board first.:o
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for this! I recently took a cruise (got back yesterday) and this same thing happened. I am in a scooter, not by choice and it took me an extremely long time to get on an elevator! taking the elevator while passengers are debarking is also a huge problem .. thanks again!
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats4us
Thank you so much for this! I recently took a cruise (got back yesterday) and this same thing happened. I am in a scooter, not by choice and it took me an extremely long time to get on an elevator! taking the elevator while passengers are debarking is also a huge problem .. thanks again!
I hope you enjoyed your cruise and were able to navigate around the ship easily. I don't understand why people don't understand common procedures of boarding and leaving an elevator. So many times, I have seen people start to board before allowing anyone to leave the elevator.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days