Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Default Electric wheelchair accessibility around Philipsburg

I'm doing a cruise on Royal Caribbean and one of the ports we'll visit is Philipsburg, St.Maaren. Does anyone know of beaches that have beach wheelchairs nearby the port for access or any other accessible areas around the port. I am unable to use a cab and fold up my chair as it is a heavy electric chair and I know this port doesn't provide vans with lifts for transportation. How about the shops in town and restaurants? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Yeoman

You need to get from the port to downtown to do almost anything in St. Maarten. There are a few shops near the port but that's it. However, if you are able to get in and out of a vehicle on your own, I would think the van cabs could lift your chair in and out of the van. How heavy is the chair? I use a scooter (4 wheeled) and have had it lifted into vans. Is there any way you might be able to rent a fold up wheel chair for the trip? You might even talk to the cruise line prior to going to see if you can use a chair on shore (most cruise lines don't do this any more but it can't hurt to ask).