CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Disabled Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disabled-cruisers/)
-   -   Renting a Scooter? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disabled-cruisers/342067-renting-scooter.html)

mosiegirl November 4th, 2007 05:38 PM

Renting a Scooter?

Someone on this board once mentioned about renting a scooter? and how it was delivered by the rental company directly to the ship and was there waiting for them when they disembarked? I'm curious to know how much this service cost? Does anyone know? Does anyone know if we can take a scooter on the airplane? does it travel as baggage or cargo? I know, probably a very silly question..but we've never traveled since I've needed the scooter.

Susansok November 5th, 2007 03:56 PM

I rented a scooter this week from CareVacations CSA Ltd. I had to get the heavyduty scooter and it cost $325 for 7 day rental. So, just a little over $45 a day. I know that you can take a scooter on an airplane, but we've never done it so I don't know any details. Good luck.

mosiegirl November 5th, 2007 04:21 PM

Was it delivered right to the ship for you? waiting for you when you got there? Was it already in your room? or right at the entrance of the port? How did they recover it once the cruise was over? That price sounds really good..

Susansok November 5th, 2007 04:29 PM

We're cruising in January 2008, so we haven't actually done it yet, BUT it's supposed to be in our stateroom waiting for us when we get there. We are supposed to just leave it in our room when we leave. Pretty Cool.

hightowercruises April 21st, 2008 01:06 PM

My father

I have rented a scooter for my father. We were told that it would be in his cabin, when we boarded the ship. Dont forget if you are planning on renting a scooter, you need to tell the cruise lines. Where they can give you a special room.
Emily

floatnotsink May 4th, 2008 12:42 PM

We rented a scooter from a company called Broward Medical Supply. They were very resonable (around $250) and reliable. The scooter was delivered to the port as promised and was waiting in our cabin.

NY Cruisin Mama June 5th, 2008 05:23 PM

We are taking a South American cruise on the Mariner of the Seas next
Jan'09. I contacted Care Vacations (www.cruiseshipassist.com) a company
out of Alberta, Canada. Tel. 1-877-478-7827. We may be leaving from
FLL or Rio and was told that the wheelchair would be delivered to the
ship regardless of where we depart from. Also, at the end in Valpariso -
we just leave it on the ship. (Probably, will travel back on the ship when
it finally docks in California). The cost for a motorized scooter is $ 595
and $ 395 for a collapsible wheelchair - price is good for the duration
of your trip. I was told that the prices quoted to me would be honored when I make the actual reservation. However, prices may go up so if
you need this service, I would think the earlier you call and talk to them,
the more reasonable the cost. They will start a "file" on you even though
you have not made any definate plans. They also have a lot more equipment available. Sounds like a really good option - hope it turns out
that way. :idea: :idea:

NY Cruisin Mama July 7th, 2008 02:12 PM

Are there any other rental companies that I can contact about motorized
scooters. CareVacations sounds really great but just wanted to see about
possible cheaper rates. Thanks. Broward Medical said they "couldn't help me". :?: :?:

jdc3 July 8th, 2008 02:01 PM

You can also try Special Needs at Sea. Tel. 800-513-4515. Their website is www.specialneedsatsea.com.

NY Cruisin Mama July 11th, 2008 12:31 PM

I already have and their prices were even higher. Am still looking. Thanks.

skipp_r1 July 21st, 2008 03:24 PM

Scooter rentals

I have rented scooters on every cruise I have taken. I have found it cheaper to rent the scooter locally and take it with me. I pay about $100 a week for the rental. Every airline lets me drive it to the gate then puts it on the plane there and it meets me at the next airport at the gate. In Munich they checked it in at the counter and took me by wheelchair to the gate and picked me up in a wheelchair in LAX through customs and to the baggage claim area where it was delivered to me. On a T/A total of 17 days they chaged me $200 delivered to my house and picked up from my house. I have had it delivered to the ship and they pick it up at the pier allowing me to use it to get off the ship. So sheck out the prices from your home town first. When going to the ship in town I how have the scooter delivered to the house and take a handicapped taxi to the ship, that way I don't have to stand in lines which is very painful.

dim1 July 23rd, 2008 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susansok
I rented a scooter this week from CareVacations CSA Ltd. I had to get the heavyduty scooter and it cost $325 for 7 day rental. So, just a little over $45 a day. I know that you can take a scooter on an airplane, but we've never done it so I don't know any details. Good luck.

My wife will need a heavy duty scooter wjile on the NCL Spirit in the spring.
How do you get the scooter off the ship, onto the tender (if needed) and then to any excursions? Do you have to pre-order a taxi or van that is handicapped accessable? How are scooters charged? I was told to not even bring my own blow dryer because of the wattage and I know the batteries have to be charged every night? Do you keep it in your stateroom?

NY Cruisin Mama July 23rd, 2008 10:47 AM

Contact "CareVacations" on their website : "www.cruiseshipassist.com" or
give them a call: 1-877-478-7827 - I am sure they will answer ALL your
questions. Have a great cruise !

dim1 July 23rd, 2008 12:42 PM

I shopped around a bit for pricing and this is the reply I got from Scootaround, Inc.

Quote:

We currently do not service with norwegian cruise lines at the moment they have a contract with care vacations, which you will need to contact them in order to get scooter rentals and pricing, there contact number is 1 877-478-7827, they will be able to provide you with the service you need.
Thanks!
So apparently you HAVE TO rent from Care Vacations IF you are cruising with NCL. I'm waiting to hear from them about pricing and will post any info I get from them.

SmeoneSpcl July 26th, 2008 02:15 PM

We cruised NCL Pearl in January, and rented a wheelchair on board thru CareVacations. A fellow guest we met had booked a scooter in advance thru CareVacations. He said it was delivered to this stateroom before he boarded and that it was reasonably priced at $375 (it was the 4 wheel heavy duty kind). I just called yesterday to book a midlevel scooter for my mom for our next cruise - and the rate is still $375. Good luck & enjoy the cruise! :D

Boats4us November 5th, 2008 11:36 PM

Renting a Scooter ...

You can rent a scooter as I did for my wife. We rented through Norwegian, I honestly forgot the name of the company ... but the cost was high at $450.00 for 11 days. I brought my own scooter, but we did not have to fly to the port.
I met a very nice couple on the ship (Norwegian "Sun") who had polio and had traveled extensively with his scooter. The airlines MUST transport your scooter at no charge to you as cargo. I will fly from San Francisco to Tampa next month, and yes, my scooter is coming along for the ride!