Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

View Poll Results: Which cruiseline is a cut above the rest when it comes to disabled passengers?
Celebrity 1 10.00%
Princess 2 20.00%
Royal Caribbean 1 10.00%
Holland America 3 30.00%
Carnival 1 10.00%
NCL 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Default The Cruiselines and the disabled

I am a blind man who has thus far taken two cruises, one with NCl and one with Holland America. After reading the article "Your Cruise has been Refused" written by the cruisemates editor, I was dishearten to see that it took several law suits before disabled people were even allowed on board a ship on their own. My two cruises have been with a sighted partner but I have been mulling the idea of taking a cruise with another blind friend or even on my own. The tone of the article sounded like that cruiselines meerely tolorate disabled passengers since they have no choice and if it was left up to them would rather not have us on board at all unless accompanied by "a non-disabled person" I would have to "prove to them I can take care of myself." I found that bit irritating at the very least. I'm a productive person with a full time job and yet to cruiselines, I'm looked upon as a nuisance. My point is this, if Cruiselines don't really want disabled passengers on board, they should clearly state so on their web sites and be done with it. Why simply pay lip service to us? I think those cruiselines genuinely committed to all kinds of passengers should have a clear statement on their web sites and those who would rather not have us simply say so. It would cut down on the confusion and "law suits" So I want to ask people out there especially those with a disability if there is one cruise line better suited for a disabled pasenger over another? If so which one? Any great experiences? Any nightmares? .
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Yeoman

I am disabled. I have been on 13 cruises, and 4 different cruise lines. I have only had a problem one time with the cruise line crew. Disable persons are NOT treated poorly on cruises. The crew goes out of their way to be helpful. However, the cruise line should not be expected to help disabled passengers to the point of being "care takers". If I could not do most things on my own, I would not expect the cruise lines to be there at my becon call. If a person needs a lot of special help during their cruise, then they do need to take someone along that can help out.

The best experiences I've had were on Celebrity cruise lines. They go above and beyond the other cruise lines in assistance. I have never had to carry my own tray or get my own food in the buffet lines. Getting on and off the ship, the crew has been extremely helpful.
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Beginner

I totally agree, but sometimes perception clouds judgement. I'll have to look at Celebrity more closely though I'm more drawn to RC and Hal.

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisequeen
I am disabled. I have been on 13 cruises, and 4 different cruise lines. I have only had a problem one time with the cruise line crew. Disable persons are NOT treated poorly on cruises. The crew goes out of their way to be helpful. However, the cruise line should not be expected to help disabled passengers to the point of being "care takers". If I could not do most things on my own, I would not expect the cruise lines to be there at my becon call. If a person needs a lot of special help during their cruise, then they do need to take someone along that can help out.

The best experiences I've had were on Celebrity cruise lines. They go above and beyond the other cruise lines in assistance. I have never had to carry my own tray or get my own food in the buffet lines. Getting on and off the ship, the crew has been extremely helpful.
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

I would vote for Celebrity - on our full transit of the Panama Canal last Jan.'07 - it was truly amazing to see how the crew (8 men) literally carried
a very large woman AND her wheelchair down the gangplank and on to
the tender and then off again at the port. Those men certainly earned
theri pay that day. I wonder if the woman and her husband even gave them a tip or thank-you. We saw her many times on the cruise and she
was a particularly demanding person.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Captain

On Carnval the staff went out of there way to assist me. Helping with the food trays providing a lift up the stairs when I nneded it little things that count.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Passenger

Default Disabled treatment

I have cruised on Celebrity and RCI since becoming disabled. I use a scooter and have to say Celebrity is just a little better in their treatment of me. RCI doe not let you take a scooter on the tender whre Celebrity will assist you onto the tender with your scooter unless the seas dictate otherwise.