Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default Mexican Riviera on Carnival Splendor

I use a power wheelchair 100% of the time and was wondering how accessible are the ports in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan? I know Cabo is out of the question due to tendering. Does anyone know about curbs and steps in the other two ports? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to luv2cruze Send a message via AIM to luv2cruze

Well, we are going to Mexico on the Splendor on 4/5 and my husband also uses a power chair 100% of the time - so I can let you know when we get back if you'd like!
5/05 - Glory to Western Caribbean
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Passenger

You will not have a problem at alli in PV or Matazlan. I went there on the Carnival Pride and you go right onto the pier. In Cabo though, if you can take a manual wheelchair with you, then you can use the tender to see Cabo, that is what I did. I left my power chair in my cabin and used the manual chair in Cabo.
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Passenger

'Luv2cruze' that would be great! Thanks so much. Also, what room are you in, curious about the accessible cabins are like. I am booked in 9203.

"Chacooe" thanks for the info also..I really appreciate it.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Hi JIH...
We are going to be in #6207 - an accessible room. I'll let you know about the room when we get back as well!! Bon Voyage!!!
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Passenger

Hi JIH2007 -
Well, we are back from our cruise on the Splendor down to the Mexican Riviera - and it was fabulous! My husband, who uses a power chair 100% of the time had a great time as well.

The accessible staterooms make it very easy for those who are challenged with walking - there are plenty of grab bars in the bathroom and in the roll-in shower. The bathroom is very large to accomodate the wheelchairs too. There is also an emergency "rope" in the bathroom that summons assistance if you are to fall or whatever and there is nobody around to help you in your room. My husband did use this once, and it worked seamlessly. They came very quickly and helped him up while I was out.

There are also a couple of emergency buttons on the wall next to the beds so one can summon assistance if needed. As soon as you pull the bathroom rope or push the bedroom buttons - they will attempt to call you on the phone first to see if it is a true emergency or accidental. I hit it accidently when we first arrived as I thought it was a light switch! They called, I answered, and I told them it was an accident, and it was fine. If it is an emergency, and the person is unable to answer the phone - then they send someone.

My husband and I got off the ship in PV and Mazatlan - and not too many issues. We didn't go into town - just stayed near the ship and did the shopping and stuff - because we were afraid if we ventured into town, we may have been unable to locate an accessible bathroom for him to use if he needed it. In PV - we couldn't find a wheelchair accessible taxi anyway, so we wouldn't have been able to leave the area anyway. In Mazatlan, there were plenty of w/c taxi's around. And you are right - no way to do Cabo unless you have some ability to walk because in order to get to the tenders, you have to be able to navigate about 9 or 10 stairs down into the boat.

The one thing I noticed about the other passengers on the ship: many people do not take into consideration the limited number of elevators available and the fact that the people in wheelchairs have no choice - they are unable to take the stairs like everyone else. So, we would see people crowd into the elevators to go up or down a single floor and not opt for the stairs when they see a disabled person waiting for the elevator. Since they had the ability to walk - instead of offering the elevator space to a person in the wheelchair - they would race to take it themselves even though we had been waiting longer. It was a matter of very poor manners.. So there were many instances where we would have to wait several minutes for an elevator to get anywhere. Most of the time, I would wait with my husband but other times, I would take the stairs and wait for him on the floor we were going to. So, be ready to assert yourself when the need is there.

Hope that answers most of your questions - please let me know if you have anymore - I'm happy to answer them!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:01 AM
Beginner

I remember the time when my son was there. The place is really accessible for wheelchair user. So, you don't have to be worried about with it.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Banned
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via ICQ to weniArrewssig
Default Hey guys Thanks so much

For the wonderful info

I'll be back often.

Thanks again!

Have a wonderful and prosperous new year ;o)

rug cleaning austin