Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Beginner

Default hard of hearing and hearing impaired cruisers

I am hearing impaired and I wear a hearing aid. I usually get the ship's sound technician to link my FM system to the ships sound system and it works really well.

Check out the FM system at YouTube - My Phonak FM & Me *Close Captioning Available*
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Passenger

Question Another hearing-impaired traveler

I also am hearing-impaired but I do not have a hearing aid because they do not work for me at all. So my biggest concern about the activities both onboard and in port is I can't hear what the speakers say. Is it possible to make sure I am alwasys at the front when I am at a lecture, class, workshop, or guided tour?
Old October 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Captain

You might plan on arriving a bit early to secure a set up front and, if possible, let the speaker know before starting that you have trouble hearing. He/she might be able to direct their voice more directly to you.

My FIL was extremely hearing impaired and would never get fitted for a hearing aid. We found a little device ($20-$40) that he could carry in his shirt pocket. It was the size of a small transistor radio, smaller than a pack of cigarettes and had an earplug. It amplified sounds for him and he used it all the time. These inexpensive devices donít work for everyone and a hearing aid can block out so much of the background noise that this device does not. It might work for you to use as needed in lectures etc. Radio Shack did carry them but may not any longer. I am sure you could find something on-line though.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess View Post
I also am hearing-impaired but I do not have a hearing aid because they do not work for me at all. So my biggest concern about the activities both onboard and in port is I can't hear what the speakers say. Is it possible to make sure I am alwasys at the front when I am at a lecture, class, workshop, or guided tour?
There are a lot of us hearing impaired, but it can't be fixed, if that makes you feel better. Always have been deaf in one ear PERIOD, no nerve for transmission of sound. Of course the other ear is gradually losing sound sensitivity too, can't decipher certain voice ranges either.
One ear deafness causes lack of sound perception, in other words, we don't know where a sound comes from!
I tried to get out of jury duty due to this, but no, they propped me in a good seat and turned up the microphone. So, I think you might get special seating.
So, this is an unseen handicap for some of us.

Last edited by ruthlessboss; October 30th, 2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: changed god seat spelling to good seat
Old November 5th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Admiral

I would suggest that you just ask whoever is leading the group if you can stand in the front as you have hearing problems. I have mobility issues and for a long time, was afraid to speak up. When I finally did, I found that most people were very responsive and helpful.
Marty