Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default I'm overweight and worried

I am a 23 year old female, and I am morbidly obese and scared to death that I am going to feel extremely uncomfortable on my first cruise (Carnival Magic 3/18/12). I want to have a good time with my friends and family that are cruising as well, and I know people are going to judge, but I was just wondering how bad it has been for others in the past??

Does anyone have any stories or suggestions on what I can to do maybe ease my mind or make myself more comfortable on the ship (besides losing weight, working on that, have medical problems).

Any and all stories/suggestions would be great.
Thanks for reading
Happy cruising!
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Admiral

I want to assure you that you will be better on a cruise than any other vacation.
You will see other people who are overweight and alsomany people with mobility problems.
From what I have seen the crew is quite helpful to people with special needs.
. I hope that you will keep on cruising and losing weight as time goes on.

Keep posting here and we will give some encouragement.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

I agree that a cruise is a good choice, you will meet people they will form whatever opinion they have of you (& you them!) & that's it, more or less the same people all the time so you don't have to keep meeting new folks & going through it again.
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Hi

You will be fine - honestly dinae fret as we Scots say.

I am on the 'larger' size and have never had any issue with either crew or fellow passengers.

Where are you cruising and what is making you feel anxious - maybe we can allay your fears?

Annie
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Admiral

A cruise will be wonderful for you .You might also want to try TM or any form of meditation ,relax and have wonderful thoughts .
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Familiar Face

Just relax and enjoy it. Most people on a cruise are there just to have fun and although there might be a few idiots, no one will care. My wife is overweight and never had any issues. I was on a cruise a few years back that had the Big Beautiful Women's club on board (didn't know before hand). No one said anything, just took it in stride. Everyone had a good time.
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I swear, I think 99.99% of people, when they board, have much more tolerance of anyone, and anything, in the relaxed atmosphere of the ship.

I was on the Magic last month, and I don't remember seeing any booths in the dining room, which I know my hubby avoids most times. That would be something to check with ta about. You will love the ship!!

I know, it's hard to say not to worry, but, I think you will be happy with the laid back feeling of the ship & the cruisers..If we can help you with anything just ask..lots of Cruisemates, willing to share

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Admiral

My other half is over weight and he enjoyed his cruise. I've also cruised with an overweight cousin. She enjoyed her cruise. You will not be the only one on the ship to be overweight. I really don't think it will be an issue. I do wish you luck in getting your medical issues under control and I hope that you will enjoy your cruise.
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbackgirl View Post
I am a 23 year old female, and I am morbidly obese and scared to death that I am going to feel extremely uncomfortable on my first cruise (Carnival Magic 3/18/12). I want to have a good time with my friends and family that are cruising as well, and I know people are going to judge, but I was just wondering how bad it has been for others in the past??

Does anyone have any stories or suggestions on what I can to do maybe ease my mind or make myself more comfortable on the ship (besides losing weight, working on that, have medical problems).

Any and all stories/suggestions would be great.
Thanks for reading
Happy cruising!
I'm feeling the same way as you, I'm going on my first cruise with my family, (Carnival Pride 10/14/12) I'm working on trying to losing weight.

Any suggestions from anyone who's been on the Pride?
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Cool Overweight on a cruise

OKAY, as one overweight woman to another...GET OVER IT!!!! Buy clothes that make you feel comfortable and in your mind attractive, and fit well,even a bathing suit..yes, a bathing suit. You will always find women much more overweight than you are in skimpy bathing suits or extremely tight clothes. You don't have to wear sacks or mummus!!! Many years ago I wore shorts for the first time in Aruba figuring nobody would know me..WRONG...I heard my name being called and no place to hide.. I do have a pair or two of shorts, but mainly capris and overblouses that I think are attractive.. Hold your head up high, wear clothes that fit, not are oversized and do your thing. There are many stores selling plus size clothes...GO FOR IT.. I have very funky jewelry that dress up my outfits, unusual handbags (parrot patterns), a big hat (have had skin cancer) and if other cruisers or people stare...THAT IS THERE PROBLEM..try a bit of self confidence...
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Admiral

I agree you definately feel better & look better in clothes the right size. Most of the reasons men in particular don't feel comfortable in formal gear is because it's the wrong size.
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Familiar Face

OK, are you planning to invite everyone that cruises with you back to your home for an afternoon? Trust me, you'll never see any of these people ever again so why worry about what they think. I'm "fluffy" - medical issues and I just cruise to have fun. You should, too - have fun!!!
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Admiral

I will admit I'm fat. Yup I said it. No problems on a cruise. I finally found a "bath suit" I feel comfortable in. It's long swim shorts and a tankini. I found it on a website called Junonia. Just check under two piece seperates. I know you didn't ask about this. However, I felt much more comfortable once I found the right clothes for my size. Swim suit was the hardest because they are really made for the thinner ladies. I wanted to be able to use the pool and feel comfortable. Here is an example of what I got. My shorts are not as tight fitting as this picture.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Admiral

My DW is plus size and she allways has a great time on our cruises. We will be doing our 16th cruise on Oasis of The Seas this coming april.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Lightbulb

I was on the Carnival Triumph recently and really there are so many large folks on board, no one will be looking at you personally. If they do, like on other poster said, when will you EVER SEE them again?? Never. They don't matter. Just enjoy yourself. The cabins and bathrooms on board were extremely spacious, the tables at the main dining room would seat just about anyone - very few booths. The only issue I saw were the bathrooms outside the main dining room...There was a very very large woman who had to goo very badly and the stalls were just so so small!! She could not get in there without leaving the door open. Poor thing. I stood in front of the door opening for her so she could have some semblance of privacy. Beware the bathrooms just outside the main dining room on the Triumph. I am overweight (but not huge) and I had trouble squeezing in these stalls.
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Admiral

I wonder what happened to the OP never came back or did I miss her?
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Familiar Face

Wow. I'm morbidly obese, too. I'm feeling the same anxiety. I'm not worried except for the whole bathing suit thing. Majority of my weight is butt and legs. Really noticable in a bathing suit. I love being in water, though,
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Admiral

I really would not worry too much about it. My other half refused to buy a suit or even shorts and was miserable the entire trip because he was so hot, especially on our shore excursions. Everybody else was in suits, including those that were obese. I'd go and have a good time. There will be plenty of other people in your situation. People are there to have a good time not to comment on somebody else.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I agree you definately feel better & look better in clothes the right size. Most of the reasons men in particular don't feel comfortable in formal gear is because it's the wrong size.

She's not sailed yet John. I hope we hear about her experience.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Default 100% correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
I really would not worry too much about it. My other half refused to buy a suit or even shorts and was miserable the entire trip because he was so hot, especially on our shore excursions. Everybody else was in suits, including those that were obese. I'd go and have a good time. There will be plenty of other people in your situation. People are there to have a good time not to comment on somebody else.

Nobody pays attention to anyone else and the odds are you will never see any of these people again .
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Enjoy

There you are ~20 posts telling you to enjoy yourself, wear a bathing suit & shorts if you want or don't if you don't want (2nd cruise you will). You are probably thinking it would be great if these posters were on your cruise. Eventhough they will not be there, they are all seasoned cruisers and on your cruise there will be many other seasoned cruisers they all think the same. So you will have these people on your cruise, just different names. ENJOY.

We will be looking forward to you posting after the cruise telling us the great time you had.

O F 'er
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi! We are in the same exact situation. Only I am older than you. I am leaving on my first cruise one week before you on the Magic! I am really nervous about everything including excursions! Maybe we will both find some answers on this site!
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I wonder what happened to the OP never came back or did I miss her?
I looked. 1 time post. Maybe this thread will help others though.
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

If you scared for over weight you hve to do Yoga on daily basis. It will beneficial to you to reduce your weight.
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi, I am a plus size lady. For far too long I used to stay away from doing anything fun because I thought people would not like what they see. Well, I rethought that. I am not going to miss out on the fun things in life just because someone might not like what they see. They don't like what they see then they can look elsewhere. I no longer let it bother me. I cruise to have fun and I do just that. So relax and go have the time of your life.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 15th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Let me let you in on a little secret.
Confidence is sexy. Once you are OK with you, nobody else matters and it will show on the outside. Confidence is better than makeup, although MUCH harder to apply. Once applied it can never be removed. Think of it as a permanent make over.

Trust me, you will not be the only plus size person on your cruise. Set your fears aside and think about how much fun your going to have and the exciting places you are going to see.

now I feel dumb... this cruise was months ago.. I hope she had a good time.
Old July 15th, 2012, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Let me let you in on a little secret.
Confidence is sexy. Once you are OK with you, nobody else matters and it will show on the outside. Confidence is better than makeup, although MUCH harder to apply. Once applied it can never be removed. Think of it as a permanent make over.

Trust me, you will not be the only plus size person on your cruise. Set your fears aside and think about how much fun your going to have and the exciting places you are going to see.

now I feel dumb... this cruise was months ago.. I hope she had a good time.
Don't feel dumb, i'll post too!

I myself am a big girl, as is my travel buddy. We went shopping together before the cruise, i basically let the people at the store dress me. Bought lots of cute tops, capris, skirts, dresses, and took all my fun jewelry. Put on the confidence and had an amazing time!

Oh, and by the way, my saying is "i may be plus size, but its because its hard to fit this much 'awesome' in a tiny body ;-)"

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKayden View Post
Oh, and by the way, my saying is "i may be plus size, but its because its hard to fit this much 'awesome' in a tiny body ;-)"
I like your outlook on life. You have the right attitude.

Beides there is more of you to hug.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I like your outlook on life. You have the right attitude.

Beides there is more of you to hug.

TM
Ha! Yep! very true....

I will say I have been eating right and excercising....I have a training regiment that is kicking my a$$! I know I'll never be a size 2, but I'm ok with it! Just doing it to be healthier

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Familiar Face

hi
like others have said, your,e as on holiday, put on a happy face and say hello to all you met, and that is all others will notice about you. i wear a swimsuit with the little skirt, and a smile, it works for me, l love swimming,