Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Extra charges???

Can anyone help in telling me what kind of things Disney charges extra for? My wife and I just got off the Golden Princess and are starting to plan a family trip (with our 2 kids ages 5 and 9) on either the Magic or RCCL's Explorer of the Seas. I understand soda, booze, etc are extra but what about oter things? Ice cream for the kids? Character autographs? Extra dining charges? Extra charges for activities, Etc? Most reviews seem very positive but very few touch on the extra charges, which leads me to believe there are none but seeing this is Disney I'm sure there are many hidden charges I haven't heard about.

Thanks for any help.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2001, 10:04 PM
Tamara

Default Re: Extra charges???

Scott,
We have been on both the Magic and the Voyager (The Explorer's twin ship). So I can help you with the extra charge issue.

The Magic- There were very little extra charges we felt, compared to the Voyager. The soft drinks were extra charges. You can either buy a mug that you refill all week or pay by the soft drink. The refill mugs were around 30.00.

The Magic has an adult only restaurant that had an extra charge, but it was not very much- I'm thinking it was $15.00 for a couple, but I can't remember.

The video arcade charges for the games.

All other activities for the kids, including autographs were free. Disney has done a wonderful job on this ship. They definitely did not nickel and dime us. We were expecting to spend a lot more on stuff that they would sell to the kids, but it just wasn't there. Even the shops on the ship are very conservative on the souveniers they offered.

The Voyager- There were more extra charges. Ice Skating, Roller blading, Minature Golf, Climbing wall were extra.

One thing that we definitely noticed was that Kids were much more welcome on the Magic than the Voyager. The majority of theVoyagers passengers are there without kids and many did not like it when kids were around. The Magic is focused on Family Fun and they do a great job of making everyone have fun.

I loved the Voyager if I was crusing without the kids. If I was cruising with kids, I would definitely choose the Magic.

Hope this helps
Tamara
Old November 4th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Lindsey

I know for a fact that there is an extra charge to dine in the adult only restaurant Palo. I read it was $5 per person.
Old November 23rd, 2001, 08:30 PM
sebrina

I am a travel agent and If you are a AAA member and book thru AAA then you recieve the mug and the pop free in 2002.