Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2001, 11:13 AM
E. Lee DeGolyer III

Default Shipboard medical question?

I am thinking of going on a cruise with my cousin and her two very small children. However, we are concerned about the level of available shipboard medical care. Yes, we know that the Disney web site says that there is an on-board physician and nurse on duty. But how good are they?

If anyone has any experience with the Disney shipboard doctor, I would love to hear from you on these boards.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

--E. Lee DeGolyer III
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2001, 12:56 AM
lindarella56

Default Re: Shipboard medical question?

the doctor and the nurse are both fine.there is a $75 fee to see the doctor and the hours are very limited.
Old December 29th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had to use the doctors aboard the Magic and found them to be most accomodating. They were available in the middle of the night too!! I would not hesitate to use them again.
Old January 7th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Yeoman

We had to use the doctor on the Magic when our then 4 year old got her finger stuck in the door between the adjoining rooms. The doctor and nurse were good, and very efficient. The medical center was very well equiped, and if necessary they could even do surgery there. My 4 year old was disappointed the doctor and nurse weren't Mickey and Minnie. Later in the cruise we saw the doctor and nurse help load a patient onto a skiff to be taken to a hospital in Bermuda. The nurse (which also was the one who looked at our daughter's hand) went with the patient.

Cathy
Old January 11th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had the misfortune of getting a personal look at the medical facilities on the Magic last January! My kneecap popped off while dancing at the 70s party, and they had to do a "closed reduction" (think PAIN!!!). Even though it was after hours, the doctor and two nurses responded very promptly. The facilities were extensive and clean and when we returned home, my own doctor said they had done a good job. Just beware of the costs--my bill was around $700, which had to be paid immediately (fortunately, my medical insurance reimbursed me when we returned home).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com