Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Default port or starboard

We are thinking of taking a 3 day land, 4 day cruise package in early 2003. We want an outside stateroom w/ porthole. Where on the ship would be the best place for stability incase the seas are rough. Also we want to be able to watch the ship dock at castaway key from our room, so would we want the port or starboard side of the ship. Thanks for your help,Rich
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: port or starboard

Glad to hear I'm not the only one hung up on this. Wanting the same thing, I did extensive research. Most of the photos show the ship docked starboard side to. Our TA had made two cruises, each time starboard side to. Others who had made cruises with either Disney ship confirmed. So...thus armed...we booked a port side balcony room. Awoke to find ourselves backing in! Future note - Disney will not turn its ship around to placate irate passenger in bathrobe. Seems it is Captains choice if he wants to drive in and back out or vice versa. We are sailing in Sept on a $99 coupon so I doubt if we have a choice. View from Castaway Cay side is great, view from the pier side is nada.

All ships back into Nassau so the port side has the view of the city.

Its the starboard side for a view of Freeport, we looked out on the borox mines.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old June 12th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just cruised on the 7-day Magic May 25th - June 1st and we were told that docking at Castaway Cay depends on the ocean currents that day. On our day they had to back into they dock. We were on the left hand side of the ship and we were on the side that you get off the ship. Hope that helps.!

Anna
Old July 11th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: port or starboard

Wow! Didn't know it made a diff. Having just returned from the 7-day eastern cruise, I can say we couldn't have cared less which side we were on, and I wouldn't feel the need to request one or other. ALL views are great whevever the ship is, and if you really want a great view, the upper decks outside can't be beat! I don't think much energy worrying about it is warranted. On the other hand, personally speaking, I think it would be a mistake to NOT get a veranda room. It's worth the xtra $.
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: port or starboard

I have to totally agree with Scott here. I have been cruising for awhile and have always tried to go on the cheap. Once major exception now after a very favorable upgrade introduced my wife and I to a verandah......We will never cruise without having one. It is absolutely the coolest experience to sit on your personal deck and watch the sun come up while sipping coffee in the morning or sipping a beer in the early evening. Plus the sound of the ocean is just sooooo restful. Take my word for it -- it is well worth the extra $. Jack
Old July 18th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Yeoman

Be careful about the balcony rooms aft. It is solid metal from the rail down and you can't see the water from your chair or inside the room. Might not matter but if it does, it will bug you the entire cruise.
Old July 24th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: port or starboard

The navigator's Verandah has the metal wall and a large round opening....(Giant open porthole) ..If you like to sit out on your verandah you won't see much unless you stand, but if you are out there for the air and privacy it's great......the wind is blocked by the metal enclosure......my advice would be to book a Navigator's Verandah Guarantee (instead of just an outside cabin) and since there are so few of the Navigator's cabins you have a great chance to get an upgrade to a regular verandah room....it happened to us......