Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2003, 10:03 PM
SSinCT

Default Formal Night - Tux Needed?

Just curious - were most of the men wearing tuxedos on the Disney Magic for formal nights in the Caribbean recently? My husband has one, but love not to bring it if most men are wearing dark suits. Advice or comments please?
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Formal Night - Tux Needed?

Not only no, but hell no.

There is no formal night on Magic. Each dining room has it's own dress code, sort of. Triton is the most formal and asks for jackets and no jeans. Read my Magic review to see how that is received. Trying to support the ship's policies, I wore a blazer and polo shirt and was a bit overdressed.
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:31 PM
SSinCT

Default Re: Re: Formal Night - Tux Needed?

Thank you! They encourage you to bring a tux, which my husband has, but would obviously prefer not to bring to the hot Caribbean...so I guess he doesn't need the dark suits either....???
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went on the Disney 3 & 4 night sailings and there was no "dress up" night, so when we booked the 7 night we never bothered to bring dressier clothing. (Except for a sport coat for Palo's) We were suprised to see a Captain's Cocktail party one night and most folks very dressed up......we felt funny being in more casual clothes....so the next 7 nighter we bought something appropriate. Disney never made us feel out of place, we did that on our own!
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Yeoman

Magic is an extension of the theme park, including mindset. The ship considers itself lucky if you take a bath, let alone put on a jacket.

Wonder is a real cruise with a Disney flavor. They do the usual cruise stuff like getting dressed up and meeting the Captain. Pace is much more relaxed. People are happier.
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:03 PM
SSinCT

By very dressed up - are talking tuxedo or no tuxedo? Should he bring one? I was leaning toward telling him just a dark suit - we have nice clothes, what is appropriate please.
Old June 13th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Formal Night - Tux Needed?

Go with the dark suit...you'll be fine......on our 7 day sailing at the Capt's cocktail party I would estimate 70% dark suits and 25% tux and the other 5% resort casual........
Old June 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM
SSinCT

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Formal Night - Tux Needed?

Thanks for the breakdown!
Old June 16th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Julia Elzie

Hi,

Not to worry - a nice shirt, a nice tie and a pair of good slacks will be fine. There are a few tuxes and evening gowns, but most people just wear business attire.

Best Regards,
Julia Elzie
http://www.cruisingco.com
E-mail: juliae@cruisingco.com
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:55 AM
cruisesrfun

Magic and Wonder are EXACTLY the same and I can see that BOTH ships could do without ignorant people like yourself.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:19 PM
kenny holt

So what is the dress code on board the Disney Wonder for a four niter??
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Ashkins

hmm Disney Magic must have changed its mind. When we went May 02 there were 2 formal nights and one tropical night.

We loved the formal nights. First night we decked out and the second formal we were a bit more semi formal.

I have a wonderful picture of my Dad, my daughter and my neice all dressed up together. Something I will forever cherish.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Yeoman

Sailed on the wonder this past May, and never saw a tux. A very casual ship, even on formal night.
Old August 31st, 2003, 12:15 AM
SSinCT

Wow - so much response to my initial inquirey! Well I sailed and I can say only about 25% of the men wore Tuxes. Most wore dark suits on both Formal and Semi-Formal night. Many opted out on the second formal night and were casual. My husband wore a dark pinstripe and was perfectly comfortable. The tuxes looked like nice, but the ship honestly does not seem to lend itself to such a formal attire. For photos it was nice to be dressed up!
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

I think the Magic and Wonder 7 nights are the ones with formals, as I did the Magic 7 Night. From what I saw, a few men were dressed in tuxedos, most in suits, some in shorts and polos who decided not to hassle with the formal night, . You could most definately get away with bringing something more comfortable that still looks nice. my fiance (who hates to dress up BTW) refused to bring a dress jacket even and so he wore just slacks, a nice button down and a tie and looked just fine. Also some of the women had these elaborate ball gowns on, but to make for easier packing I packed a few skirts, a pair of slacks and a couple of different tops that I could mix and match to wear for all of the dinners, and just wore my fancy skirt with my nice skirt for the formal.

Old January 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM
dancermom

I would say that you would be fine with a nice dark suit. However, my DH took the tux I bought him before the cruise. With different ties and cummerbands, he wore it for formal, semi-formal, and to Palo. OK, he was a little well-dressed at Palo. Was it worth it? You bet! The best picture taken of our family was all dressed up with Mickey and Minnie in their formal wear! Mickey is in a tophat and tails, in fact. I love that picture, and will prize it forever. YMMV Diana
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM
cmn

I went on the Disney Wonder. But I am assuming the formal night is pretty much the same. My husband and I dressed nice. Not fancy. However, the people that joined us at our table did not. The man wore flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt. They did not say anything to him. So, I would say anything goes. If you wear a tux you will probably feel overdressed.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Nburwell

When we went this past Summer, there were very few men wearing tuxes. My brother, dad, and I all wore suits, which seemed to be the most common with the men. Although there were some people who dressed casually.

Carnival Legend
Old December 25th, 2004, 06:26 PM
ltstdsb

My wife asked me to go online to order a tux, but after reading all these great responses to the same question I had, I think my houndstooth blazer and a nice shirt are taking the cruise with me. Houndstooth is still "in" right ?