Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:13 PM
First Mate

Default Shocked by cost

Wow,

I was so excited when I heard Magic was coming to the West Coast next summer. I thought this would finally be our chance to do a Disney Cruise since we wouldn't need to incur airfare cost. I was shocked to find out that the cheapest category cabin would cost $4710 for my family of 4. That is $700 more than we paid for a balcony cabin on a spring break cruise on RCL's brand new Mariner of the Seas. How disappointing. I know the kids would love a Disney cruise, they are 4 and 6 year-old boys, but they have loved every Carnival and RCL cruise too. Would they love it that much more to make it worth the cost? I know that's a subjective question, but to those of you who have done Disney and other cruise lines, was it worth all that extra money?

Margie
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Sooshie

Default Re: Shocked by cost

Hi Margie,
Check out some of the on line sites before you panic. If you are pricing according to Disney's website or catalog then it will look like that much more. I do agree, Disney is way overpriced...but you are paying for the Disney name and all that comes along with it. We are leaving on Sunday for a 4 day land and 3 day sea vacation in Orlando so I can't tell you if it's worth it or not. From what I have been told and read about it seems like the way to go for our 8 and 4 year old. I'll post when I return.

Susan
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:16 PM
3 things

Default Re: Re: Shocked by cost

Yep, it costs a little more. (although it sounds like you might be able to do better than you have right now... keep trying - although it varies by each particular cruise as to what's available and how much - with 100's of dollars saved by going a week earlier or later depending on so many things...)

Anyway, went on Disney in February (7-day) and the quality of service just seems to be impeccable. Disney knows service. The food was not better, but it was very good. But service and quality of experience - superb!!!!

And bumping into Mickey in the hall or Goofy by the water fountain... PRICELESS... At the entertainment performance on the last night my wife and I both confessed later we were in tears listening to the pure ecstasy of the children in the audience when Mickey made his final appearance. I mean it, I've never heard children so happy - and hence, parents so happy. Our kid is 23 and wasn't with us, but we both have never heard such a response.

Our next cruise is Alaska and it has to be on another cruise line because Disney doesn't go there... But the next cruise after that - another 7-day on Disney.

When the beautiful Magic pulls into port with it's unique black base... AND then the uniquely Mickey horn blasts it's welcome - EVERYONE at the port smiles... (horn blasts "When you wish upon a star"...)

PS - you can go to the local state fair and pay $35 for rides and entrance OR you can go to Disney World and pay $50 for rides and entrance... Is it worth? I think so...
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would agree. It is worth the cost. But you need to justify it. The ages of your boys are perfect. They will love it. My 6 year old son had such a good time. We are going back again to try the Western. The CA cruises are going to be much more money than an off peak time in the Caribbean, We had a Cat. 6 for much less than you have for a inside. So maybe calculate the cost difference and include the airfare and try the caribbean. We went in January so it was cheaper. Good luck.

But yes, worth the money to have the memories.

Enchantment of the Seas
Disney Magic 01/10/04
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
First Mate

Thanks to all of you for responding. You've given me food for thought. Hopefully the prices will drop, as you point out right now it would be cheaper to fly 4 of us from CA to FL and take an off-season cruise in the Caribbean.

I priced the cruise on Travelocity and one other site, they were only slightly cheaper than Disney's site.

We followed the Magic on our April cruise on Mariner to the E. Caribbean, she is beautiful, unique, and that horn is too cute, we heard it from our balcony as all the ships were pulling out of Port Canaveral.

I'll be keeping tabs on the prices, it'll give me something to dream about.

Margie
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Yeoman

Not worth the money imho. The Disney Wonder ship is old and you won't see beautiful statues, dolphins or columns at the pool, like you see on Grand Princess and Explorer of the Sea. As I mentioned on another thread, caesar salad wasn't available in the dining room, and the dessert menu was lacking. First ship I have been on where key lime pie wasn't available. It just goes to prove parents will pay any amount of money to make the children happy!
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM
SUZIE

I found the cheapest prices to be on cruise value center website!
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:31 AM
SUZIE

When I booked our cruise for a family of 4 with an ocean view it cost 3523. for April 2005. We too live in Calif. and are flying over (It is cheaper than going summer 2005) Plus it seems we would enjoy the ports more in the Carribian. (castaway!!!!) Your kids are only young so long! We wanted to do it before we regretted we didn't! The longer you wait to book the more the price goes UP!
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

With Disney the longer you wait the more the price increases. They are on some sort of tier system. I had Key Lime pie on the Magic in January and had different types of statues throughout the ship, granted everything is Disney themed, it was for the children. Is there a price for a child's happiness?

Enchantment of the Seas
Disney Magic 01/10/04
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
awatt

Have sailed both Disney and RCCL and I do no think Dusney is worth the extra cost. I expected DCL would be better ,snce it cost more,but actually having done both we prefer RCCL. The dining room service was so much better,more polished and professional. They really went out of their way,without our asking,to please us. Overall ambiance of the ships more elegant. Adult entertainment was better for us on RCCL. There were nearly 1000 kids on board the Magic and many of them not well-behaved i.e. rowdy in the pool,having spitting contests off the balcony next to ours.

We had a very good time on the Magic. But unless you have to take a cruise with Mickey and friends,no,it's not worth paying more for. Next time I need a dose of the mouse I'll go to WDW. Next time I need to cruise I'll go to RCCL or Celebrity.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:27 PM
ssteph

Worry about price the other 50 weeks of the year so you won't have to think about it on vacation. On any vacation, if you are overly concerned about price, you won't have as much fun. Vacation is about taking a break from thoughts such as those.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Linz

We've done 8 cruises. I;m a teenager and the best cruise was DISNEY. My mom took us for her 50th birthday and she loved it. Yes it's more money and yes it's worth it. Mom just booked a 3 day cruise in August because we all loved it so much. You only live once so why not enjoy it.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:32 PM
Linz

Forgot to mention that believe it or not, the cheapest price I got for the Disney cruise was by booking it directly through Disney Cruise Lines.
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Liane Layman

Cheap Cruse.com is a much better price.
Old August 28th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Mickeymom923

I am an adult but a kid at heart. I did the Disney Wonder last year and just came back from the Wonder last week. My family (ages 16, 18 and 86) loved it so much as did I that I booked the 4 day for 8/28/05. I could have done a 7 day on Carnival with a balcony for less than I paid for the 3 day Disney. I do believe you get what you pay for. Disney truly does it better. There were a lot of kids but I never saw them since there is so much for them to do. I saw them on the last night. I thought the shows were better than Carnival and the people on Disney made me feel like a "Princess". There are some things that you can't put a pricetag on. Memories are priceless!!!
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:28 PM
Walt Nissen

It is almost certainly going to be cheaper to fly to Florida. The West Coast sailings are extremely popular (some are sold out already!) and the prices there are not representative of what you would pay for a Caribbean cruise. My wife and I live in California, and we have been able to fly out for $250 a person or less both times.

Walt