Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:13 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams
Default Port Canaveral - pre-cruise questions

I am sailing on Disney Wonder in 2006, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a nice (moderate to upscale) hotel near Port Canaveral.

Also, if I choose to book a Disney Resort stay for a few days pre-cruise....
is there transportation available from Disney from the Resort to the Port?
If so...How much does this cost?

I am going to continue looking, but I can't seem to find much information about
Port Canaveral.
( and there are not very many Disney Wonder Reviews out there ???? )

thanks in advance for your help...... : )

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Ginamarie

Default Re: Port Canaveral - pre-cruise questions

Actually, I don't think there are hotels in the "Port Canaveral" area per se. Port Canaveral consists mostly of the cruise terminal and the NASA Space Center, along with some boating/fishing shops/piers.

I would suggest staying at one of the Disney resorts before your cruise (that's what we did). The cruise line can set you up with transportation to the cruise terminal (it's about a one and a half hour drive from Walt Disney World to the disney cruise terminal). The Disney transfer was VERY simple.. we didn't have to worry about our luggage (they picked it up from our hotel room and delivered it to our cruise cabin directly) plus the bus is pretty comfortable, air conditioned, with a bathroom and a video about the cruise. The transfer cost (I think) $25 per person, which is a little more than a taxi would cost, but the piece of mind we had was worth the increased cost.

The hotel rates for Walt Disney World vary (you can find rooms in the "value" resorts for $55-$75 a night, moderate hotels for about $135-$150 a night or luxery resorts from $199-399 a night). We normally stay at a moderate resort, but some of my family swears by the value resorts, because no matter where you stay on Disney property your room will be clean and well maintained and the staff will be friendly.

I haven't been on the Wonder, but I've been on the Magic twice, and they're essentially the same ship. The Magic is my favorite cruise ship, so I hope you enjoy the Wonder just as much!
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:52 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

thanks for the info---- I think we are now going to stay for a few Pre-Cruise days
at one of Disney's resorts.....and then take the transfers to the cruise port.
My mom is going to fly down and spend the pre-cruise days at Disney with us.
should be a good time.

thanks again..

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Yeoman

Actually, you will find many hotels in the Port Canaveral area. Many are just under a mile away.- a few miles. Ron Jon's is a nice one to stay at. I don't think the price was too bad either.
We usually rent a car at the airport, shop and go out to dinner the night before our cruise. Then the next day, drop if off at Budget and they'll shuttle you to the ship at no expense. They'll also pick you up at the ship and bring you back if you'd like to rent a car to go back to the airport.

We did a WDW / cruise pkg. We had a car service pick us up at the airport and take us to our WDW resort. They stopped at the grocery store for us and allowed us to shop. This saved tons of money at WDW. But doesn't sound like you're going there.

Then they picked us up at our resort and took us to the ship the morning of our cruise.

We also did the Wonder.
You can also post questions under hotels...or the Caribbean...
You can also email me and I'll be happy to answer any questions as I normally don't browse Disney much.

You will gets tons of info. on www.disboards.com.
This is the official Disney message board. I got lots of info. before I left on our Disney cruise.

Have fun!
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with disboards.com they will have tons of info.

Radisson appears to be nice and close by. Check out dis and they will give you all the info you ever needed. Good luck.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Wade

We stayed at the Radisson when we sailed Disney in Nov 2003. They had a deal with a shuttle to and from the terminal and FREE parking at the hotel for the week. Great deal, and a decent hotel, too.

http://www.radisson.com/capecanaveralfl

Have fun!
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Port Canaveral - pre-cruise questions

Try around Merritt Island. It was pretty commericalized where we rented a car through Enterprise. Enterprise dropped us right off at the terminal. It's about a 10 min. drive.