Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
Beginner

Default Hi

I'm new to this cruise thing I just booked a Disney cruise from Dec 2006,any help or tips is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Kathleen Templeton

Default Re: Hi

Howdy,
we are on the Dec 2, 2006 cruise. Is that the same one as you?
I would be happy to give you some tips but it would help to know how many of you are going, and if there are any kids and their ages. There is so much to talk about that I need a little more feedback from you , then I can have some idea of what areas to tell y ou about. We have been on 7 disney cruises. 8, 9 and 10 are booked already. We have traveled as a couple, with kids and with grandkids from ages 2 to 14, so we have experiences for all age groups to share.
Also if you want to get aquainted ahead of time with others on your cruise, you can do to www.dcltribute.com. This site is all about DCL, no other cruise lines. It's a very active thread and we have gotton to know many people before we cruised with them. it is so much fun to finally meet these people after writing back and forth on the thread for so many months. You learn so much through all of their experiences that they share. Plus if you have kids going , this is a great way for them to make a friend before they get on board. everyone usually tries to meet at a appointed time and place, just for a few minutes to say hi, then you keep running into them the rest of the cruise and it's a lot of fun to share the daily experiences with each other.
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Beginner

Hi thanks we aren't sure if we are taking our kids yet, we have a 2 year and a 3 year by that time, I think our cruise is the 11-14 I think not sure we are going to disney world for 3 days before
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Kathleen Templeton

Hi Happygirl,
If you take your children they will be able to play in the Mickey ear at the mickey pool. It is designed for toddlers, and you can sit on the edge of the ear to keep a close watch on them. But bring plenty of drypers or swim diapers with you. They do sell them ( required if not potty trained) but they are very expensive on board to buy. If your 3 year old is a little braver, the opposite ear has shallow water in it for kids that arn't quite ready for the regular kids pool area, but are bored with the water jets of the other ear. My grandson played in one ear while his sister played in the other so you could watch both at the same time. The kids club for 3 year olds is really great. You can sign in and stay with your child for awhile if your worried they may feel lost without you. You will be given a pager so they can contact you any where on the ship if they need you. There is a nursery , for those who are not potty trained yet. It's by reservation only. You can tour it the first day on the ship and it's all explained to you in detail. They do charge $6 per hour, minimum 2 hours. They usually have at least one animated movie playing for younger kids to see. They have one TV station that plays animated movies 24 hours a day for while you are in your room. Of course there are lots of character meet and greets during the entire trip.
Some excursions would not be good with young kids. I would recommend a beach trip or a glass bottom boat ride excursion. You may bring strollers on board and on excursions, but the halls can be very narrow in some areas, so I recommend the umbrella type stroller that easily folds up. You will see regular strollers on board, but they are really too big, especially for some excursions.
If you go to the sail away party on deck 9, take you kids right down front by the stage, as close as you can get if they want to see characters. They arrive about 10 minutes before you depart and they have about 10 minutes on stage before they dissappear again unril evening. You have to already be up close or you'll get crowded out fast when Mickey appears. If you kids are more comfortable seeing them at a distance, then deck 10 has several great view points to see them from. Be warned the music is very LOUD!! If your kids don't like loud noises, then don't go close to the stage area.
Even most toddlers seem to enjoy the musicals in the main theater, they have many characters in them to see. For you and your husband there are countless things to do if the children are being cared for. Oh I almost forgot the Mr. Toad race for the kids. You can help your child make their plastic frog jump to the finish line. Many little kids do this activity with their parents. On CC, in the grouper game room there is a nice sand box area for kids that is covered so you don't have to worry about the sun or wind.
If just the two of you go, write back and I'll give you a big list of neat things to do on board and excusions, but I need to know which cruise: 7 day eastern, or 7 day western, 3 or 4 day bahamas cruise to do that. That way I can be specific about the excursions. What ever cruise you do, Don't miss pirate night!!!!!! It is FANTASTIC!!!!
Kathleen
Old July 1st, 2005, 10:50 PM
Beginner

Kathleen you have been really really helpful, I appreciate lots
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:20 AM
Kathleen Templeton

Happygirl
If you really want some good help from experienced Disney cruise people, there is another site I go to everyday that is just for DCL. It's called www.dcltribute.com
This is the best site I've ever found for disney. It's actually called Dave's tribute site. It's very good and you can find people on the same cruise as you and make friends before you go, ask any questions you might have and just by reading others there you really learn a lot.
Kathleen