Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Staying at Disneyworld prior to cruise

This July we are talking a cruise but would like to go to Disneyworld a few days prior as a pre-vacation. While the value resorts seem decent, are they worth staying at or is it better to spend more to stay at a better resort. My kids will be 18 and 9 this summer. We plan on being in the parks during the day. Also, is the meal plan that Disney offers worth it?

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Jewels:

We've stayed at All Star Music and All Star Movies and I thought both resorts were fine. We spend such little time at the hotel I couldn't see paying more. The pools at both resorts were great, as well as the food court. I found eating at the food court was very reasonable. Once inside the parks the food was a little more expensive (depending on where you eat). I found we ate a big breakfast, snacked in the parks, came back to the hotel early in the afternoon and had something more the eat and a swim and then went back a night. The last time we went we stayed off site as we decided to Universal Studios and Sea World. I really don't think we saved any money by staying off site as we had to rent a car and pay for parking at the resorts. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Darcy
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Check the rates for your travel dates. Often, when it is value season at Disney World, there is very little price difference between a value and a moderate resort. It is always worth checking. A value resort is fine, though no luxuries. The moderate resorts have a few more amenities, a bigger choice at the food court, better pools, bigger rooms.

Have a great day!
Julia
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

The rooms in the value resorts are really small. If you stay at one of them I suggest you book a separate room for your daughters. We stayed at the Music hotel with my husband and 2 little girls(ages 6 & 9) and ended up getting another room (connecting) for the girls. We were tripping over each other. But on the other hand the pools are great and the food court was good for the kids. I doubt we'll stay there again though. I like more luxury.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Beginner

I've been to Disney World over 10 times and stayed at numerous hotels. The value resorts are somewhat overpriced for what you actually get. They are often very loud and the rooms are cramped. If you have the money the Boardwalk and Polynesian are my personal favorite hotels. They both have large rooms and a ton of on site entertainment. The best values are at a moderate resort. For this class I would recommend Port Orleans. It's very nice and a definentally a big step up from the All Star and Pop Century resorts.
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Passenger

Default Land/sea package.

If you book the land/sea package you'll get transportation to the ship from the resort. However it's only from the moderate or higher. We've stayed at the All-star Movie and thought it was OK.
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Beginner

We did the 4 day park and 3 day cruise. We opted to stay at the Animal Kingdom lodge because the kids love animals. Outside every room you overlook a savana where the animals roam free. We found ourselves looking outside every time we got up or back to the room to see which animals where outside our room.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is the only lodge in the package that gives you a deluxe room with the package. If you love animals, stay at this resourt. It is one of the top of the line resourts and you could tell from the time you walked in.
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Passenger

I think the meal plan is a good deal.

Off Topic:
Is it just me or have disney resorts lost their high level of customer focus? I still book the resorts but primarily for the ease of transportation.
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk
I've been to Disney World over 10 times and stayed at numerous hotels. The value resorts are somewhat overpriced for what you actually get. They are often very loud and the rooms are cramped. If you have the money the Boardwalk and Polynesian are my personal favorite hotels. They both have large rooms and a ton of on site entertainment. The best values are at a moderate resort. For this class I would recommend Port Orleans. It's very nice and a definentally a big step up from the All Star and Pop Century resorts.
Totally agree, Boardwalk gives easy access to Epcot and MGM while the Polynesion is close to the Magic Kingdom. The mouse isn't cheap, but it is sure a lot of fun for the whole family!

I really think doing the park and the cruise is a great combo. We are looking into it for spring.