Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to mohinnigold
Default Various questions

Hey all cruisers!

I've been on 2 cruises already but never a Disney cruise. I'm 23 and have never even been to disney land or disney world! I'd had a few open heart surgeries so walking around a huge part would be difficult for me But I am a HUGE Disney fan. So My parents and I are planning to take a Disney Cruise.
There are some questions I have though and wondered if any experienced Disney cruisers could answer them. Here they are:

-Are the Disney ships registered in the U.S.?

-What kind of Medical facility is onboard?

I plan on calling the cruise line to ask but they are closed today. Thanks though if anyone can answer these questions.

Lisa[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM
Captain

Hi Lisa,
No Disney ships are US registry. They are Bahamas.
They have a medical center, just like all cruise lines. They can do a lot, but are limited too. Our last cruise last month a toddler was having seizures so they had a coast guard copter remove her from the hsip and take her to a hospital, Mostly they get people with infections, flu, sea sickness, fractures from falls, ear infections a lot from the kids,
I have never had to use them, but i have read several reports form people who had and they were all very impressed with their treatment and a nurse said she was very impressed by the amount of things they were equiped to take care of.
DCL does have a medical form on line that you can print out and get filled out by your doctor and then send it to the ship ahead of time so the doctor will be aware of any medical problems you or your family members may have. The wait staff will work with you on special diets too. But you must put that on the medical form and send it ahead of time.
The ship is pretty much wheel chair friendly.
Hope this helps a little,
Kathleen
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Beginner

Sorry, can't help you with the medical information, but I can tell you the ships aren't registered in the US-- I think they're reg. in the Bahamas.

We've cruised DCL twice, and are going a third time, but with the price and now three kiddies-- it's getting to be out of our league. There are some good sites that focus specifically on Disney- don't want to post sites because I don't post here often and honestly don't remember the rules on that.

Hope you get your info
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Passenger

DCL has "sand-friendly" wheelchairs (with large balloon wheels to go over the sand easier) on Castaway Cay if the walking is difficult for you. And with the heat and size of the island, it could be. They are available on a first come, first serve basis but they seem to have a good supply.

The form Kathleen is talking about is called a Medical Clearance form and it is very important that the ship's crew know that you may require assistance "in the unlikely event of an emergency"

Have a Wonder-ful time!