Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Beginner

Default New to Disney Cruise

We are sailing on the Disney Wonder in January. It is myself, husband, and 5 year old daughter. We are so exicted!! I have just a few questions.

Do they have a pirate themed dinner on the Wonder? If so, should we bring outfits?

What is the difference between the Magic and Wonder?

We are looking into the Dolphin Encounter - any advice?

Will they let you bring bottles of water on board or any other items?

Is it best to bring your own beach items or buy them at Castaway Cay??

Sorry for all the questions-----Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Captain

I ididnt see your post til now, hope you havnt cruised yet.
Since you live inFlorida, first call DCL and see if they are offering a Florida resident rate for your cruise, if so they will give you the discount and refund the difference to you. must be doen before the cruise date.
If you booked through a TA you must call them and ask, But beware they often play dumb and dont want to do it for you because they loose some of their money by doing that for you. But if you verify they have the discount rate with DCL first themn you can demand they give it to you and they will. If not, tell DCL about it and ask their advice on what to tell the TSA so they understand youa re entitiled to this.

we got our last 3 day 1/2 price.

Yes you can bring bottled water on board, baby formula and baby food, beer and wine. Keep in carry on or it will be broke in transferring to the ship.

Yes they have pirate night and some dress in outfits, some just wear the free pirate bandanas they give you at dinner. On the Magic hundreds dress up in enitre outfits, on the Wonder it seems not a smany dress up for some reason.
I always dress up in a pirate outfit, that just adds to the fun of the evening in my opinion. MY husband always wears the bandana and a pirate t-shirt. You can dress as a pirate at dinner and stay that way through out the night.

Not many difference between the ships. One restaurant and a couple of clubs have different names,b ut they ship is layed out the same for where they are and where all the rooms are etc...
The Wonder has a new water play area for toddlers that the Magic doesnt have.

The Magic has a virtual reality area on deck 2 for the kids, the Wonder doesnt have this.
Magic has a mickey statue in the atrium the wonder has a statue of Arial in stead.

One ship has goofy on the outside of the ship painting it, the other has donald and his nephews on the back of it cleaning the ship.
The club area on one ship is Beat Street, on the other ship it is Route 66 theme. I have been on both so many times I forget which is on which ship.

They are pretty much identical.

Beach toys are up to you. They will take up some room in your luggage, but are definately cheaper to bring your own. large towels are provided as you leave the ship.

Never done the Dolphin encounter, but have heard it is great fun.

Kathleen

Have a magical cruise

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Thank you Kathleen for all you information. We are sailing on January 21st and we cannot wait! I don't know who is more excited - me or my 5 year old. I almost wished we would have done the 7 day cruise.

One more question - I have confirmed with Disney that my daughter only needs her birth certificate and they said that is fine. The new law is not in effect until 2008. My husband and I have passports. Will my daughter be ok with only her birth certificate???

Thanks again.
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Captain

Since the law isnt in effect til 08 she should be fine.
It does need to be the original certificate with the raised seal on it. Not just a hospital certificate they often give moms.

We have always used our birth certificates on the cruises we have taken, but now we need to get our passports ordered so we will have them for our future cruises.

If you have any doubt at all, just call DCL and confirm this again.

Your daughter is the perfect age for DCL. The day before you go to Castaway Cay they will offer a family kite making class. She might like to do that, then you keep the kite and fly it on CC. They are small, so easy to take home and make a great souvenir. You can hang them on the wall of her room if you want. She will get to decorate it when you help her make it.
Also you can take a couple of white washed and ironed pillow cases and put them in a ziplock baggie with some colored waterproof pens, like Sharpies. add a little card with your name and room number. Take this to the guest services desk the first day.(in the atrium) ask for them to be autographed by the characters or by just her favorite character. They will be returned to your room the last night all signed. It is free to do.
That makes agreat souvenir or a surprize birthday gift later on.
They need them the first day so they will have time to get them done, so be sure and do that the first day!!!

They will also fill out a card with your name and room number, but by putting your own inside it just assures no mistakes. I have done this twice and loved what I received.

another tip, room service is free, tip accordingly, but what I wanted to say is on the room service menu it doesnt tell you but you can order warm chocolate chip cookies to be delivered at night for a quick dessert for you guys with a cold milk. YUMMY!!!

Pop is free at the drink sta tion on deck 9 and in all restaurants, but if you order it at a lounge or bar you are charged for it!!
So if you want adrink for the shows or a movie, grab a cup from deck 9 drink station and take with you. We do this all the time, so does everyone selse who has cruised dcl before. It really saves the $$ Chips or hot dogs, burgrs, pizza or fresh fruit to snack on at the movies, all free on deck 9. Take them with you to the show. They have a small cart to sell snakcs, but why buy when you can get stuff for free.

we often get aplate of fresh fruit and put in our frig in our room for a light healthy snack for us or the grandkids in the evening or early morning. Goofys galley has lots of great fruits . Free soft serrve ice cream is directly behind goofys galley, kinda hard to see at first, but it is there.

If you still want a few character photos, check your Navigator for CC day. They have characters along the walkw ay to the beach, usually around 9:30 for 30 minutes. There are little to NO lines, but what is there move quickly because people are on theri way to the beach and dont want to stop and have photos, but this is the best time to do it!!! Just takes a minute to do.

Also Captain Jack Sparrow will be down the path in the sand with the flying dutchman behind him for photos. This is an awesome picture to have. But dont ride the tram if you want this picture because you cant get off where he is, youmust walk the sidewalk to the beach to se ehim, but it is worth it!! Your friends will be so surprized to see you with capt jack , not just Mickey Mouse pictures!!

Pirate night has 2 photo ops with him too. We had pirate outfits on so it really was an awesome picture for us. But arrive 15 minutes prior to his time because the lines for him are very LONG!!! We actually had to leave dinner before dessert to get the photo, but it was really worth it, plus after the pirate party they have a buffet with awesome desserts, so you can have dessert then and not miss anything!!
I am getting all excited just thinking about it, wish I was going with you!! I have to wait til April before I can go again!!!

i hope you will post a trip report for us land lubbers to read while we wait for our turn to cruise!!
Please ask if you have any more questions, i am on line often

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Beginner

Kathleen --
I want to THANK YOU so much for telling me about the Florida resident rate. I did call Disney and yes --- I saved a bundle of money by being a resident. WOW -- I was shocked. They credited back my card.. THANK YOU BUNCHES!!!!!

I am definetely going to do the pillowcase idea. What a neat keepsake.

I have to be honest about a big fear that I have -- I am a little worried about leaving my 5 year old daughter in the Kids club. I know it has to be secured but of course I am thinking crazy things. Do they stay in the room the whole time? Do they wonder the boat with the leaders? DO they let them look over the edge of the boat? I know that I am thinking crazy things but I can't help it. Any advice you can give me to ease my anxiety???? hahaha...

Also -- how early can we start boarding the ship on departure day?

Thank you again for being so informative.....We leave in 9 more days!!!!!!!

Wendy
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Captain

Wendy,
I am so happy you saved some $$$$. The just dont advertise it, you always have to call and ask about it!!

You usually start boarding about 11:30 to noon. It all depends how quickly they get the ship cleaned and stocked for the new guests.
The usually open the terminal at 10 a.m. Until then you cant even enter the parking lot. You have lunch ,wander the ship until 1:30 then your allowed to go to check out your room.

I know its hard but try not to worry about leaving your child. with DCL safety is FIRST!!!! You will be given a pager so they can reach you anytime or they will call you if your child really wants you.
You will fill out instructions of who can pick up your child and you will have a secret password. NOBODY can take her out of the club without knowing the password, even if you put down they are allowed to get her. They Have to know the password too.

Ok, there is a secret passage way between the kids club and the lab that the kids use, so they dont have to go out where the guests are.

When they og to the buffet for lunch or dinner they walk them in a long line down inside hallways and use a crew stairway to get to the buffet so almost no outside walking. They will NOT take them to eat unless you specify you want them to. They have 1/2 of the buffet set aside for them, all inside and counselors are with them all the time, they are NOT allowed to go to the outdoor seating.
When ever they take them anywhere there is a counselor at the front, back and several in between. The younger ones hold hands and go two by twos, which also helps.

The railings are high enough on deck 4 and 10 that they cant just look over and fall. They would have to slide a chair over, climb on it and then peak over. That wont happen, between counselors and guests someone would see them.

The basketball court is sometimes used for sports with the kids or just outdoor games. Only one way in, a netted area and counselors are everywhere. Elevators are in 3 places so they have very short distances to actually walk outside.

Deck 9 has plexi glass walls floor to ceiling everywhere accept at the very front and back of the ship.

I worried about he same thing with the grandkids but after you get there and actually see the ship, you will feel much better.

Plus the kids navigator tells you when they will do outdoor events and you can choose to NOT have her participate if you want.

Also if kids are unruly they will NOT be allowed to join in. The kids will know this and so they will follow directions well and that will help to insure their safety.
95% of activities are in the club and lab.

Try not to worry and relax. Disney has been taking care of kids for years and they have had to handle about every situation you can think of.
I have never heard of any kids every falling overboard, getting seriously hurt in the clubs. A little skinned knee from running and playing yes, but nothing serious.

No they dont allow them to stop and look over the railings. I have seen many times where counselors where taking kids places and they keep them moving at all times. They even have the first counselor with a hand sanitizer wipe, running it on the hand railing of the stairs and then another one behind the kids wiping the railings again to help them not pick up germs. They must sanitize their hands everytime they enter the clubs too.

I know, being a mom of 4 and grandmother of 4 that nothing I say will really put your mind to rest. You will have to see for yourself!!

Dont know if I remembered to say but characters often come into the terminal too. So watch for that first picture opportunity. Cartoons will be playing on several small TV's to keep kids busy while you wait. There is also an area by the cafe where you can check your Daughter in for the kids club then all you have to do is pick up the pager when you board.
They have an open house the first night so you can go in the club and explore with your daughter too.
pleaselet meknow how your trip goes after you get back.
I love hearing about peoples adventures on board.

If you have anymore questions, please ask and I will answer if I can,

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old January 12th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Captain

Wendy,
just curious, where do you live in Florida???

We live in Fruitland Park. Just outside of Leesburg.
we use to live in Poinciana and Kisimmee.

we are originally from Oregon, but have lived in Florida for 7 years now.

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old January 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Hi

You may already have some of these answers and if so sorry.... I have sailed on both. It was awesome..... The Magic has bronze Capt Mickey in the center atrium when you board. The Wonder has a bronze Ariel. The formal dining on the Magic is at Lumiere's with a beauty and the beast theme. The formal dining on the Wonder is Tritons and it has a sea theme (very pretty) The back (Aft) of the Magic has Goofy on the back it looks like he hanging on the back and has just finished painting the words Disney Magic . On the Wonder same idea only the back has Donald with Huey, Duey and Louie. The club names might be different but they are very similar except for decor or theme. The rest is pretty similar all around. It is an awesome experience.
Enjoy
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Beginner

Hi Kathleen --

We live in Seminole, Florida -- just right outside of Tampa. I am originally from Georgia but have lived here in Florida for 15 years. WOW - I can't believe it has been that long. My husband is originally from Buffalo but has lived here for 30 years. His family moved here when he was young. I love it here. I have been working on getting my family down here. I miss them and I miss the season changes....

I know you can't wait to go on your next cruise. My husband and I went on a Carnival cruise in 2002. It was fun -- the excursions was the best. We sailed to Grand Cayman, Cozumel -- went swimming with the stingrays there - my feet never touched the bottom of the ocean. My poor husband was deaf from me screaming. I just never expected all those stingrays to come right up to us. Then we sailed to Jamaica. I love Dunn River Falls. That is where we went on our honeymoon.

I am just really looking forward to the Disney cruise. It will be fun to see how my daughter reacts to everything.

Thank you for your encouraging words about the kids club. I know that once we get on board and I see everything - I will be put at ease. We have dinner reservations at Palo's on Sunday night. I've heard so many good things about the restaurant. We are also looking forward to Castaway Cay. I've heard it is beautiful. We still aren't sure about the dolphin excursion. I just don't know if it would be worth the money. I heard that you don't get to interact with the dolphins long. But it does sound like a chance of a lifetime. You know?

I will let you know all about our trip when we get back. If I think of any more questions ---- I'll let you know.

Talk to you soon.

Wendy
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Captain

Hi Wendy,
I forgot to tell you that the kids clubs are on deck 5 and there ae NO doors to the outside decks there either. Plus the side for younger kids had gats to go through with people stationed there to get in and out, so kids cant wonder off and grown ups cant come in unless checked in.

You can check in as a visitor and stay with your daughter for awhile if you want. I have done that with my grandaughter just until she felt secure in the new environment.

I dont know about the dolphins, never done that before, but I have heard others say it was awesome although it doesnt last very long. If you dont think you will cruise again, then you may want to do it, so you did get the chance. If you plan on crusing again, then it wouldnt be too bad to wait.

However in a couple of years the price will probably go up and up and up, just like everything else.

At least if you go to Sea World you can have an entire day to spend for your money, plus lunch and such. Actual time in the water with them may be short too, I dont know, but the event is all day. So that is a thought too.
That's not that far from where you live.

We went to Busch gardens once, but that is the only time I have been towards your area. It was very nice there.
I don't do roller coasters, but my husband and grandkids love them. So they were in heaven there. I loved the animal area and the little buckets that go over the top of the area tolook from above.

I will be waiting anxiously to hear about your trip when you return.
Take lots of pictures and ALWAYS take your camera with you, even to dinner!!! There are picture opportunities everywhere!!! Surprizes every night, somewhere on the ship.

Characters often just stroll around decks 9 and 10 in the afternoons. No lines and makes for some great photos too.

ALWAYS have the camera,

kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise