Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Some concern

My daughter is sailing with her 2 children during spring break. My grandson is 5 years old ( he will turn 6 while on the cruise). She is concerned because he had mild autisim. Should she be concerned?
Legend 2006
Spirit 2006 & 2007 & 2009
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Captain

Hi my grandson has mild autism and his sister had a bad speach problem when we took them on a disney cruise.

They were both treated like royalty. I did spend some time in the club with them because of the communication problem but it was great !!!

Just be sure and have the doctor fill out a medical form and get it to DCL before the cruise. You can find it on their web site and print it off or call DCL and they will mail it to you. make a copy for yourself just in case it gets lost in the mail or something. we faxed ours over.

His time in the clubs and such will depend on just what his problems are. For example can he go to the bathroom by himself?? That is a requirement for being left in the clubs, no pull ups. Does he have seizures or temper problmes, can he communicate well with others??

You can sign in as a visitor and stay with him all you want. You may want to stay until you see how he adjust to the new environment. Some autistic kids dont adjust to new things well. The counselors are great once they know what the problem is and you will have a pager so they can beep you to come to the club if needed. If he hits other kids he wont be allowed to stay alone without adult suoervision.

our waitstaff was great with the kids, but they need to know there is a problem. The medical form will usually get shared with wait staff and kids counselors but not always. sometimes you must tell them, that is why it is important to keep a copy of the medical form in case there is any question about it, if it were to get lost or smething.

There are many kid with all kinds of diabilities on board every cruise. Disney is awesome about working with these kids. Those who need one on one care cant be left alone in the clubs because counselors dont have the time or training to handle that, but the adults can bring them in and help them to play if they want.
There are many Make a wish families who do disney, so the wait staff and crew members have been around many disabled kids and know how to react.

I would say NO worries for a mildly autistic child, our GS had the time if his life, but was afraid to go up to the characters, so we just walked by and waved which was fine. He especially loved the shows the golden mickeys and disney dreams which both have lot sof characters in them and playing in the mickey ear instead of the crowded mickey pool. I cant wait to take him again.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for your info.. my daughter is not as worried now. They are looking forward to this cruise. They love Disney World ( season pass holders) so the cruise is very exciting for them. We gave the cruise to them as a Christmas present so they were very surprised!!
Thanks again
Legend 2006
Spirit 2006 & 2007 & 2009
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:34 PM
Captain

Wow, that is some Christmas present!!
If you ever want to adopt another kid let me know, I dont eat much and will wear hand me downs!! Ha! Ha! Ha!
All kidding aside that is awesome!!
They will have a blast.
Does your daughter know she can go on line to the dcl website and order a free DVD about the cruises on dcl?? It is very fun and informative to watch.
Also she can get a great souvenir if she wants for her son by taking a couple of new, washed and ironed white pillowcases, put them in a ziplock baggie with some colored pens that are waterproof, plus a card with their name and room number on it. Take this to guest services desk on the first day and ask for them to be autographed. She can ask for a special autograph or just for all they can get. Then on the last evening it will be delivered to her room all autographed, NO charge!! These are great souvenirs you can actually use when you get home. One tip I can offer is to not use colors light yellow or light pink. Reds, dark blue, dark green, black all show up great. Light colors dont show up as well.

Be sure an d,leave them off the first day because they really need the e ntire cruise to get this done. They get hundreds of requests each cruise.

Tell her I wish them a very Magical cruise!!!

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!