Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
Beginner

Default disney cruise with a mentally challenged adult

Hi,

We're are debating if it's worth the money and travel time to take our mentally challenged 31 yr. old daughter on the 4 nite disney cruise in May.
Our travel agent inquired with Disney Cruiseline on whether they have any kind of special programs for people like her. They don't. This really surprised all of us. She is and adult, but her mind is that of a 2yr. old.

Of course, they will not let her be in any of the childrens group activities, which is understandable. They do not even have anyone that we could hire there to let her feel like she's a part of the activities. They said that she could only be with the adult activities.

We took her to Disney World last May. It was unbelievably hot, and we only did what we could stand to do. She doesn't want to go back there, but she's insisting on going on this cruise.

Has anyone had any experience with our situation?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Captain

Hello,
I have not had any experiences with mentally challenged adults, however I have seen several people with that disability on our crusies.
Of course I dotnknwo if their minds were that of a 2 year old or a 5 year old. But all seemed to love the shows such as the golden mickeys, disney dreams because of all the characters in them. Small kids on the ship love those shows, so perhape your daughter would too?

I have tired to think of what events th eyoung kids enjoy on board that your daughter could do.
Kids animated shows in the theater,
live shows in the theater
character meet and greets in the strium

Could you go int he family pool with her so she would be safe?? I dontknow if she can swim or not?? There are also 2 hot tubs at the family and adult pools that you could sit with her in.

Therei s the Mickey 500 race that is a family event. adults make a race car from a potatoe and a carrot and wheels and then they race them. seh could particiapte with you on that. Adults do most of the work, but the kids cheer on their cars and sometimes place them on the track.

Studio Sea is a family club where they have many events such as game shows and Karoake. She may enjoy being in there to wach, I dont know??

On castaway Cay there is a nice beach to play on and many water float toys to rent you could take her on. many are 2 seaters . Dont know if she can ride abike, but they do have bikes to rent too. There are 2 bike/hiking trail you could go on there.

I am truly sorry I couldnt be of more help. You have a very difficult situation.
All I can offer is to say I have seen many people in her situation on the ship and they were very happy!! The characters were great with them too!!!

I wish you a magical cruise if you decide to try it.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Thanks Kathleen for your reply. I didn't know a lot of what was offered that you mentioned. My husband and I have cruised about 6 times, but never on disney. We just want her to enjoy herself.
Maybe one day disney will offer a program for our situation. Kids, no matter how old, have a better time without their parents. She is no different. She loves to be with other people. I have to stop her from talking to strangers most of the time. These days, you just don't know!

Karen