Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah
Default Getting There and Back

The new DCL transfer coaches look really neat. Makes me want to ride one! But is there a better/cheaper way to get to Port Canaveral and back?

Have you used a limo or transfer service to get out to port and back to the airport? What was your experience?
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Captain

Hi Jim,
Hey I have heard good reports about Happy Limo. With 10 people that may be the best way to go.
You can also rent a car ( van in your case) and drive to the port, about an hour, drop everyone and the luggage off at the port, then drive the car to cocoa beach (5 minutes), leave the car and the rental agency will shuttle you for free to the port.
That way you dont pay for the rental while your gone, no parking fee either. They will then pick you up at the port and you rent the car again and go back to the port to pick everyone up. They have a nice covered area for them to wait, Lots of people around so it is secure too. I think it is Avis or Hertz that offers the shuttle service. You'll have to goon line to make sure.
We have friends who were a family of 8 who rented a van and did this, but who knows the Limo may be less $$ for 10 people.

I know they do book up quickly, so call soon to get your information!!

I am excited tonight, my husband just told that we are gong to take our oldest daughter and her family on a 7 day cruise on the carnival glory near the end of june. We have never been on carnival before so it will be a new experience for us. guess I need to do some research on Carnival.

kathy

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I, too, have read good things about Happy Limo. We will likely not travel as an entire group going to Port Canaveral, but may getting back to the airport. We plan to arrive a day early. Being January, I'd rather plan on getting there and spending the night in a hotel rather than spend hours in an airport waiting for the snowstorm to stop!

I've never sailed Carnival, either. It will be interesting to get your take on the experience.
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Captain

Jim,
we have friends that flew in, rented a car, drove to Cocoa beach the day before. Spent the night at the Radisson where they drove to the port (5 minutes), dropped off the luggage anfd everyone accept the driver then returned the car and the driver rode the shuttle back. From the time he dropped them off until he got back was 30 minutes, then they checked in. It worked great for them.

Also The Radisson has a shuttle to take you to the port. Once you check in you sign up for a time and they let you leave a car there for free while on the ship. We have stayed there.

Also if you have a hotel near the rental agency you can return the car the first day and walk across the street to the hotel, then take a taxi to the port. Not sure how much it costs, but for a 5 minutes drive it cant be too bad.I do remember seeing 2 car rental places right near the hotel, an easy walk if you want.
We stayed at the Radisson, also the Residents Inn is nice. May be spelled Residence Inn, cant remember. The newest close hotel is the Country Inn and Suites. They are pretty much side by side and an easy 5 minutes to the port. You can see the ships from the parking lots even.

well good luck to you, hope all goes smoothly for your cruise,

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old February 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think we'll stay at the Hampton Inn. Not fancy, but dependable ... and they have a decent breakfast. Since we have Hilton points to cover the stay, I figure we'll just do that. It's right there on the main drag, so should be easy.

I'm thinking about renting a car at MCO then dropping off in Port Canaveral. That may work just fine.
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Captain

Hi Jim,
I saw the Hampton Inn and it looks really nice.
You'll have to include a short report on the hotel in the trip report.
Let us know how it is.

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old February 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
I think we'll stay at the Hampton Inn. Not fancy, but dependable ... and they have a decent breakfast. Since we have Hilton points to cover the stay, I figure we'll just do that. It's right there on the main drag, so should be easy.

I'm thinking about renting a car at MCO then dropping off in Port Canaveral. That may work just fine.
Did the something similar using Marriott points. We stayed by MCO since we had a late flight into Orlando. The drive over is about an hour and, as was discussed earlier, it is easy to get a rental car shuttle bus over to the cruise terminal.