Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Driving to Port Canaveral

This is a question for those of you that live in the Florida area. We will be renting a car and driving to the port as it is cheaper than the shuttle service and it will give us options about when we get places.

We have two options the first being flying into Orlando (MCO) and driving to the port which from my understanding is about 45 miles. The second option is to fly into Tampa and drive from there. I know that this adds about 80 miles to the trip each direction but at the same time it would save about $300 in total on airfare.

My question is how is traffic driving in that direction in the mornings. We would probably leave Tampa at about 6:30am. If it were you would it be worth the extra savings to make that drive. We have really never seen Florida and thought it would be kinda nice to drive and see the scenery.

Please give advice on what we should do.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
2004 Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Captain

Traffic will depend if your going on saturday or sunday.

Sunday is a breeze all the way if you leave early.
Saturday can be tricky when you get inclose to Orlando area. I am assuming you are coming straight up I4, not crossing over to the coasal highway which will take longer.

If you leave at 6:30 a.m. you should make it either day with plenty of time to spare. It really isnt a bad drive.
Just remember the road to the port area doesn thave hardly any turnoffs so if there is an accident you can sit for a couple of hours until it is cleared out of the way. This is a bad area for that kind of thing. I know it is not likely to happen, but it did happen to us once while we were on the way back from our cruise. Over an hour just sitting, no where to go around.
I think I would go clear to cocoa beach then have a late breakfast, then you will know you wont be late. The port is only a 5 minute drive from there.

I dont know which agency you are renting from, but a couple of them will let you return the car at cocoa beach, they will shuttle you to the port for free, then pick you up after yoru cruise and bring you back to rent the car again. That saves on parking fees and rental fees.
If you do this be sure and drop off the luggage and other guests at the terminal first, you will then join them after returning the car. Not much room on the shuttle.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the input. I am thinking that for the savings we will probably fly into Tampa. I figured leaving that early in the morning will give us extra time for whatever type of delays that may come our way. It will be a Saturday morning that we will be driving as we will be leaving on the Magic that will be departing on Saturdays at that time.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Captain

You should be fine as long as you leave really early. Port opens at 10 a.m., but like I said if your way early you can go to cocoa beach for a late breakfast.
Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I got lucky and found some airfare into Orlando directly that was probably posted by the airline by mistake as the price doubled within an hour of me booking. I was able to get round trip from Salt Lake City Utah into Orlando for just under $200 a person. We also rented a car from Thrifty to drive from Orlando to the port and then take the free shuttle to the cruise terminal.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Archie, that's a great price. It probably wasn't a mistake, more likely you bought the last 2 seats offered at that price. That happened to us once and that's how it was explained to us. Have a great time.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

You truly got a good deal! Congratulations.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Since I work for a travel agency I was able to monitor the rate daily and I noticed it drop in half overnight. It was showing 4 seats in that rate category and after I booked two of them it was showing that category still available but at a much higher price.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea