Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Beginner

Default First time cruise Q's

Hello-
We are taking our first cruise 4/14-4/21, can't wait!!

1. I have heard there is a Disney cruise DVD that they will send you, but how do you request one?

2. We do not have passports for the kids (ages 2 and 8 mo), only birth certificates. Will we have to pack the certificates on and off the ship at every stop and carry them around with us during the excursions?

3. Are the alcohol prices outrageous? I imagine $12 margaritas at poolside, and not knowing it until I get surprised with this huge tab at the end.

4. Palo's is already completely booked, much to our disappointment. What is the likelyhood of us getting in at some point?

5. Do they ever give free room upgrades?

6. My hubby wants to know if there are ping pong tournements.

7. We are from the Pacific Northwest, and llllooovvveee our coffee. Do they have like a latte type stand (think Starbucks) on board? Do you have to pay?

Sorry for all the questions!! All replies are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Jessica
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have not yet sailed with DCL but I can answer a lot of your questions.

1. You can request this online or by phone. The number is on their website.

2. If you are sailing this year out of Orlando then no you do not need a passport. You need to show your BC's when you first board and then you can put them away. You will not need them again. I guess unless you miss the ship and then you have a bigger problem.

3. I don't drink but from what I remember you are looking at the $6-7 range. maybe more for premium alcohol.

4. I would go to the reservation desk as soon as you get on board and see what can be done about getting a spot.

5. Room upgrades are always possible. This varies by cruiseline so I don't know how likely it will be with DCL.

6. Can't help you there

7. Can't help you with this one either

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
2004 Carnival Inspiration
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Captain

Default Re: First time cruise Q's

[quote="Jackley17"]Hello-
We are taking our first cruise 4/14-4/21, can't wait!!

1. I have heard there is a Disney cruise DVD that they will send you, but how do you request one?

You can go to the DCL website and order it there or call to request it. It will take 2 weeks to get it.

2. We do not have passports for the kids (ages 2 and 8 mo), only birth certificates. Will we have to pack the certificates on and off the ship at every stop and carry them around with us during the excursions?

You show the passports and kids BC at check in then you can out themin your safe and forget about them until your ready to pack to leave. Make sure the kids birth certificates have the RAISED SEAL on them. usually towards the bottom. many people mistake a hospital certificate for a real birth certificate. DCL will NOT accept it without the raised seal.

3. Are the alcohol prices outrageous? I imagine $12 margaritas at poolside, and not knowing it until I get surprised with this huge tab at the end.

Dont know we dotn drink, however I do know each day there is a drink of the day for a discounted price and the ad is in the elevators and in your navigator paper in your room.

4. Palo's is already completely booked, much to our disappointment. What is the likelyhood of us getting in at some point?
They only allot a certain umber of reservations tobe made on line. That way people who do not have computer access can still have a chance to book upon boarding. St check in they will give you a piece of paper that will give a place and time to make a Palos reservations and change dinign time. usualy the time is upon boarding until around 2 p.m. Go there IMMEDIATLY upon boarding. The usual location is one of the clubs, so as soon as you walk past the elevators in the artium turn right and follow the signs. after that you can go and have lunch. Just do it first for the best chance

5. Do they ever give free room upgrades?

We got one once because we had a guarantee room, which means we were guaranteed a room at the category we booked or better, but we wernt given a room number until just before we cruised. That makes it easier for them to fill the ship. So our category was all filled up so we got an upgrade to a nice verandah. No charge.

6. My hubby wants to know if there are ping pong tournements.

We did have them at least on the 7 day cruises, but I think they have them on all cruises, we are going 4/5, if I remember i will look and see and will post back here to let you know for sure.
If you dont hear from me by 4/8, send me a PM and ask, i always save my Navigators and will look it up for you.

7. We are from the Pacific Northwest, and llllooovvveee our coffee. Do they have like a latte type stand (think Starbucks) on board? Do you have to pay?
Good news, Yes they have a coffe place by the adult pool call The Quiet Cove cafe. many good choices, yummy!!
Bad news, you have to pay for them
Good news, they cost less than starbucks!!!

Sorry for all the questions!! All replies are greatly appreciated!

I have aquestion for you, where in the Northwest are you from??
We are from Oregon and have relatives in Washington and Oregon.
We moved to Florida almost 7 years ago.

If you have any more questions, please ask, even send me a PM from this site if you want to ask your questions,'
Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Beginner

Great to hear from you, Kathleen! I always enjoy reading your posts!

We are from Shelton, Washington, which is just outside of the capital city of Olympia (You'd be surprised how many people don't know that- they always assume it is Seattle!)

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I know where to go as I think of more questions!
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Captain

I know where Shelton is!!!
I feel so excited to find someone only one state away from home.

My aunt lived in Dupont (by Fort Lewis) and another one lived near Olympia. I remember driving by the brewery as a kid.
I know this sounds dumb to you but I do tend to get home sick and finding someone close to home is exciting for me.

I'm sure you'll have a magical cruise.
Remember the sun block, your skin is use to liquid sunshine not the hot sun we have here in Florida and on the islands.

Please ask any questions you may have. I have been on a ton of Disney cruises and ony a few days and i will be off on another one. YIPPEE!!

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Captain

Hey if you go to www.castawayclub.com they have lots of great information for you to read.
Info about foods, navigators and much more.

You might pick up a tip or two.

you can take a couple white prewashed pillowcases and put them in a zip lock baggie with some colored water proof pens, like sharpies. Drop them off at guest services desk the first day and ask for them to be autographed. Then the last night of your cruise they will be returned to your room all autographed. They look great! This is a free service!!
I usually include a card with my name and room number on it too, even though they attach one,just in case it gets lost.
I use colored pens, but not light colors like yellow or light pink because they dont show up very well.
remember to do this the FIRST day because they really need the time to get them done. 2nd day at the latest!!
Just thought you might be interested,

kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Admiral

"Make sure the kids birth certificates have the RAISED SEAL on them."

The BCs do NOT have to have a raised seal. A certified copy is just fine.

We this to bed many months ago.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Passenger

Disney Cruises are great for children of any age. Getting the right information will make it easy for you. As far as Carrying aroung your childrens birth certificates, I think that is very risky, there are places on the ship that you can leave them which are much safer. I would never carry them around with me unless I absolutely needed to have them, which I have never experienced that.
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Captain

As soon as we get into our room we put all our birth certificates or passports, money, car keys and such in the safe and lock it!!

Then no worries!!

kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old May 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Beginner

That's great, regarding the DVD, I am going to get that too. It figures Disney would have something like that, if anybody would it is them. On the drinks, $12 made me jump, but $6 or $7 is not cheap either. It is more like $4 at the Disney Resorts, so I guess they can getaway with higher prices on the water. Oh well, it is good to know this ahead so we can sneak our wine on! Just kidding.

Great Advice.

Best Regards, Stuart
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Captain

Stuart,
look at the ads in the elevators each day. They always have a drink of the day for about $3.50 to $4.00.
If it's soemthing you like you can save a few $$ by getting the drink of the day.

kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise