Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruiser, Need HELP!!!!

I need HONEST advice, PLEASE!!! My husband has been begging me to go on a cruise, but I get sea sick very easily, and have never been on one because of that. I'm thinking of giving in, and we are looking at Disney as a choice. We also have 2 boys, 2 yrs and 3 months, but we won't be bringing them this time, but it will be a great learning experience to see if we would like to do a Disney cruise with them in the future. We are looking at a stateroom with a balcony, but I need all the advice I can get. Will it be a good cruise for just adults, or will I be sad and miss my kids the entire time b/c I'm surrounded by children, or can we get away from children when we want? Are the 3 day cruises worth the money, and is this amount of time a good choice for me, since I"m a first timer and SCARED TO DEATH??? THanks soooo much!
Katie
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

The first thing you need to do is RELAX. After all that is what cruising is all about. You do not want to go onboard expecting to get sick or else you will feel every single movement of the ship. From what I have heard Disney has a lot of areas for just adults including PALO for dining and a special beach on Castaway Cay. One book I would suggest is Passporter. They have one just for Disney cruises that will answer most all of your questions. If you have never been away from your children in the past then you will probably miss them but If you have been without them in the past you will do just fine.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
2004 Carnival Inspiration
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Captain

Hi Katie,
I agree just tkae a deep breath and relax.
First there ar emany things you can do for sea sickness if you are relaly worried about it.
You can take non drowsey dramimine or bonine before you even get on the ship and through out your cruise and you shouldnt be bothered. they work great but even the non drowsy tends to make people sleepy.

Plus if you arnt sure about the meds, they have wrist bands that work on pressure points in your wrists. I know it sounds wierd but for most people they do work and you wont have any medication in your system.

There are also patches your doctor can rescribe for you to wear behind your ear. you will see dozens of people wearing these. For some it does have the side effect of blurringyour vision while wearing them but not usually enough to bother you to wanttot remove it.

Another thing that really helps without medication is ginger talblets. I dont know why but they do work! Plus take some gingerale with you on board to drink, it will sooth your stomach is needed. Just stick a couple of cans in your carry on for the ship and nobody will say anything, if they do tell them it is for sea sickness since they dont sell it on board.

Another tip is to keep a full stomach. But most of all, DON'T think about getting sick, your mind is a powerful thing, you can convince yourself to be sick if you worry too much about it.
Plus Disney has the latest in technology. They have stabilizers that help to keep the ship calmer if the seas should become choppy, they do work!!

Plu son a 3 day youhave one evening an dnight an dyou are docked for the entire day. If someone is truly sea sick it will stop the minute the boat stops, so you would have hours of relief. Then onemore night of travle and docked again all day at Castaway Cay to relax and one last night to travel home. This is a great way to test your stomach for cruising.

There is an adults only pool and 2 hot tubs to sit back and enjoy!!
There are adult only clubs after 9 pm at night too.
movies int he theater, the later night ones are geared more towards adults.
Palos is an adult only restaurant that you have to make a reservation for. It is AWESOME !!! It is nicer dress there and very romantic!! I believe they charge $10 per person which is not for the food but for the gratuity , although it is nice to take a little cash with you to leave extra for your waiter , they do an awesome job!!! although it is not necessary.

They do have adult only tours or events from time to time also.

You can be around kids as much or as little as you want on Disney,.
If you want fewer kids at dinner book late seating. most people with younger kids want early because the kids get tired.

Nassau has many different things to do, so dont stay on the ship, go and explore the place. even if you dont book and excursion there is a nice horse and carriage ride at the port, a pirate museum 3 blocks behind the straw market where you can get some good buys if you like to barter.
Atlantis hotel has a great aquarium to see too.
The 2 hour historical city tour is excellant!! then shop afterwards.

I have done 14 cruises with disney so far and I have 3 more booked. I have cruised with family from 18 months to 53 years of age so I have experienced most areas of the ship and many of the excursions in all thier ports. We have also gone as a couple many times.

Please go to the disney web site and order the free DVD they have and that will answer some of your questions.
I fyou want ot be pampered for 3 days this is the place to go!!!

We cruised last week on a different ship and the seas were as smooth as glass most of the trip including Nassau!! It was the calmest we have ever seen.

If i can help with any other questions please ask and I will try to answer if I can. You can even PM me if you want.

kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Relax is excellent advice from some of the others in reference to the possibility of getting seasick. Too many people put too much emphasis on something that in 95% of the time is not going to happen anyway, and very easy and quick remedies are available in those very rare cases when the sea gets a bit rough. Personally, I get an instant headache as a passenger in a car if I try to read anything. The bottom line is to simply take Bonine. It's over the counter, not expensive, chewable, and with little to no side effects. Take one a day, forget everything else, and just have fun. Better an ounce of prevention than a pound of cure. How do I know? I am the owner/manager of a cruise travel agency and am working on our 17th personal cruise as we speak.

In addition, my wife Deborah and I want on a 7-day Eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise last year aboard the Disney Magic and we don't even have kids. We not only had a wonderful time, but it was one of the best cruises and ships we have ever been on. Likewise, there are plenty of places and things for adults to do, with many areas out of bounds for kids, even on Disney's private island called Castaway Cay (Key), which will be one of the ports on your cruise as well. Surprisingly, you will not see kids’ running all over the place on the ship as is usually the case with the other cruise lines, because Disney has such well organized kids programs, for various ages, the kids are kept entertained and busy for most of the cruise.

Will you miss the kids? I should hope so. But look at this as an exploratory cruise to see what to expect when you take them the next time. Take this cruise. Believe me, you won't regret it.

I could go on and on, even with my past review and lots of pictures from an on-line photo album, which I can share with you if you want. Just e-mail me privately. And for the highlight of your cruise, be sure to have at least one dinner at Palo, Disney’s high-end, adults only, reservations required, and at a slight extra cost, restaurant – but well worth it. It may be your only change, especially if you bring the kids the next time.

By the way, tell your husband he had a good idea. Go for it!

Happy sailing...
John Sisker
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Beginner

I suffer from motion sickness as well. I get sick in the car if I read. I get sick on rides at amusement parks. I can't even sit in the front half of a movie theater. I chose a 3 day cruise for my first so I could see how I would do. I took Dramamine each night before I went to bed. I had ginger snap cookies and ginger capsules available for departure. Real ginger is the key to anything ginger-realted for motion sickness. I was fine with the Dramamine and didn't need anything else. I have cruised since for longer periods of time. Motion sickness was never a problem for me - on one cruise there was a rough night where 12 out of our group of 19 (none of these took Dramamine) felt something ranging from a little queazy to sick on their stomachs. I was fine the entire night.

Have fun! Take a nightlight if you have an interior cabin. There are many other little tips, but as far as motion sickness goes, you can do it!
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Beginner

If you are someone who has a tendency to get sea sick, you would want to either get one of those sea sick patches (I think you have to get a prescription for them, not sure), or take something like Dramamine. My son (he's an adult) gets motion sickness but did not get sea sick at all on a cruise...he took Dramamine the entire time he was on the cruise. You just have to make sure you keep a constant flow of the sea sick medication in your system all the time while you are on the cruise (except when on land, and then start taking it 1-2 hours before the ship is scheduled to go back to sea). This is what my son did, and he was fine. (Any of the ses sick oral medication will make you a bit drowsy.)
I think it's great that you and your husband are going without your kids...I'm sure you will miss them, but would still enjoy the cruise immensly. If you like the cruise, then you could take them the next time. A 3-night cruise is a good idea since it is your first. Maybe next time when you take your children, you would want to try a 4 or 7-night. My daughter (she's 25) and I have been on two Disney Cruise's. We're scheduled to go on a 7-night cruise in May (the Mexican Rivieria Cruise). We love Disney Cruise Lines!!
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
The first thing you need to do is RELAX. After all that is what cruising is all about. You do not want to go onboard expecting to get sick or else you will feel every single movement of the ship. From what I have heard Disney has a lot of areas for just adults including PALO for dining and a special beach on Castaway Cay. One book I would suggest is Passporter. They have one just for Disney cruises that will answer most all of your questions. If you have never been away from your children in the past then you will probably miss them but If you have been without them in the past you will do just fine.

I'd do the four day cruise...a great way to test the waters without too much time away from the kiddies.

You'll have a fantastic time on the Wonder. I just booked her for my adult sons and the DH and I. Great activities on board for a person of any age; child and adult alike. I've even known honeymooners without kids that have chosen the Wonder and had a marvelous romantic time.

I can't wait to sail Disney

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.��? --Jacques Cousteau