Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Beginner

Default first time Cruiser THIS WEEKEND!! NEED HELP, PLEASE

Hi,
I've been reading these sites looking for info for our cruise DEC. 22-29, 2007-- Disney Magic. I found a few answers, but still need more.

1- Do I really need to do those pricey shore excusions or go ourselves on the island? we have two boys age 7 and 5. Can't we just get off the ship and get a cab to wherever we want to go?

2- Is Palo really worth it?

3- Can we bring alcohol on board the ship in our checked luggage? We will not be able to bring it in our carry-ons, since we are flying in from NY, I have a small 12-pack soft-sided collapsible cooler I could bury in my luggage. Will it be an issue??

4- Is the Disney transportation bus from Orlando airport a nightmare? or does it move along swiftly? Should we make our own last minute transportation arrangements??

5- Should we make arrangements for the all-in-one price of floats, boats, bikes at Castaway Cay, or can you do that once you get there? Do you need to be on a time schedule? or do you do those things at your leisure??

6-- Where can I get cool Disney graphics. pictures, etc.. that I can print on my magnetic paper for the stateroom doors??

That's all for now. Sorry so late. Any replies would be appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Captain

Hi, ok I will see if I can help yopu some.
It is very easy to explore on your own, we have done it often.
Just set a price with the taxi driver before you get in the cab.
If you tell me which cruise, eastern or western I can give you some specific tips on where to get cabs or private tours hich cost much less.

Yes Palos is worth it, many say Brunch is even better than dinner.
The food is free the small charge is for gratuity, although some leave a little extra cash on the table when they leave. This is a nice quiet dinner for just the two of you. The food is awesome and so is the atmosphere.
The service is superb there too. You can ty to book this once you board the ship. Just go to rock n bar D upon boarding. that is where you can try to get reservations there, if you want. Try to get them towards the end of the cruise so you wont miss the Pirate party and will be able to experience each restaurant once. Animators Palate only does the light show the first time you are scheduled to eat there, you dont want to miss that either.

Alcohol?
This is a tricky one. Officially they have signs up saying NO alcohol, but people do it all the time They usually put it in their carry ons which get scanned through security and nobody has ever said a word about it.
we have friends who do this all the time.
checke luggage really gets banged around so breakage may become an issue if its packed in it. I would say put in zip lock baggy, then lots of bubble wrap then in the cooler with clothes all around it and you may have a chance of it not getting broken.
we have seen lots of luggage fall off the carrier as it was being moved to and from the ship. Thats about a 10 foot drop onto concrete, not counting throwing luggage on top of the bag.

Disney transportation moves along great but it is expensive. If you are a family of 3 or 4 peopel it is cheaper to rent a car at OIA and drive to the port . Once there you can drop off everyone acceot the driver , including the luggage, then the driver drives to cocoa beach (5 minutes) to drop off the car. I fyou use Hertz they have a free shuttle ride to take you back to the port wher eyou just show your photo ID and then you can go into the terminal and join your family.
after the cruise the same shuttle will pick you up and take you back to the rental place to rent the car again to drive back to OIA or where ever you are going. so you dont pay to rent it while your cruising and you dont have to pay to park the car either. it works great!! I believe Hertz is the only one who offers the free shuttle to their customers. You can chekc it out on line I'm sure or ask at OIA rental place. It is an easy drive to the port.

Dont worry about renting all that stuff for CC ahead of time.
theyhave tons of stuff, you can just walk up and rent what ever you want, when ever you want, No problem, even snorkel gear. That way you dont pay for things you arnt going to use or if the weather isnt quite warm enough for you to swim you can rent a bike instead and ride the 2 bike paths. what ever you decide to do, it will be at your leisure. Bikes are for an hour at a time but everything else is at your leisure.

I havnt printed graphic on ine for my signs. I always just bought neat tropical or disney stickers at craft stores and made up what ever I wanted on the magnetic paper.
But you can google disney free clipart and you will find many sites where you can down load those kinds of things for free. I have looked at them before.

hope that helps you some, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or like i said if you tell me which cruise you are on and what things you are interested in doing I may be able to help you out with where to go to do them on your own and if it is ok for the ages of your kids to do.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!