Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Beginner

Default First Disney Cruise…suggestions?

We are going on our first Disney Cruse on Feb. 24/08. We are really looking forward to it. We have been on two RC cruses in the past but this is he first time on Disney. We have two daughters 6 years old and a 4 month old and thought it would be fun time for them as well (well our 4 month old probably will not care ).

We have been reading up on the cruise and getting tips for traveling with an infant. Does anyone know if they allow a kettle on-board? We would like to use it to boil water for bottles.

We have registered for the nursery already on-line as well as some adult activities and I am sure our older child will love all the activities (the pirate party sounds really fun). We found a few sample daily schedules to get an idea what to do during the days with the family. We do not plan on doing any excursions as the baby cannot do much and we have already been to some of the islands (we’ve been to Atlantis already). So we plan on spending time on the ship during Bahamas and spending the entire day off the ship at CC as it sounds really fun from everyones posts here.

Any other suggestions for our family would be greatly appreciated. We have also set aside some time one night for some adult activities so any suggestions would be good there as well.

Thanks
Michael Robinson
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Captain

here are a few tips that may help you with planning for the cruise.
many of them you probably already know but #14 to #21 may be a few things you havnt heard yet, hope this helps
I Have been on DCL 15 times so far and going on #16 later this month.
kathleen

1.early arrival gets an early boarding pass number.

2.terminal opens 10 a.m.

3.boarding starts around 11:30 to noon.

4.keep camera with you at ALL times, even in the terminal. characters will appear there for photos. ourdoor viewing area of the ship for photos.

5 check in at kids club table while waiting to board ship. saves you time on the ship.

6. take a few ones. some for room service tips some to tip porters who take your bags at the termnal. $1 per bag is customary.

7. take small bills for the islands. msny small shops dont have change.

8. if your going to use your credit card on the islands, call your CC company first and tell them or you will have to wait on a phone call to ok all your purchases. This is a big hassle and can take 30 minutes or more.

9. most shops who take credit cards, require a $20 minimum purchase.

10 take camera to dinner each night, surprizes happen all the time. You wont be alone. you will even see cam corders at dinner.

11. arrive at all shows 20 minutes early for good seats.

12. arrive at character meets 10 minutes early

13 Princess meets arrive 15 minutes early

14. on Castaway cay if you want your photo taken with Captain Jack Sparrow, do NOT ride the tram to the beach area. It doesn NOT stop near him. You must walk in to the beach signs say 20 minute walk in it takes us 10 minutes. he will be along the way in the sand and photo has the flying dutchman behind you, great photo! Check navigator for times he will be there.

15 There are characters along the way to the beach, ok to ride the tram for this. Lines are short and move quickly so it is a great opportunity to see characters without lines. check navigator for times and places.

16 also characters appear at the gazebo near cookies BBQ on the island during the day.

17 adult only beach has it's own area for lunch they often have steaks or lobster there as a special treat for the grown ups. But Cookies BBQ by family beach has more variety of other foods.

18 dont ,miss the good bye late the last night in the atrium. ALL the characters will line up on the stairs and will pose for photos for you. This farewell party is really nice and fun.

19 check for photos everyday at shutters. buy a package deal and save $$ if you dont buy enough photos for the package deal they will refund you the difference at the end of your cruise .
or if you buy a photo and then decide the next day you see one you want more, just bring back the one you bought and the receipt and tell them you want to exchange it and they will be happy to do this for you.

20. you can order warm chocolate chip cookies or Mickey ice cream bars from room service even though it is not on the menu. warm cookies are only in the evenings.

21. bring 2 white pillowcases or a matte style picture frame in a zip lock baggie with water proof markers and leave at guest services desk ask to be autographed and it will be returned to you the last night all signed by the characters. I also add a card with my name and room number on it just in case their card gets lost. I like to use dark colored markers, the light colors dont show up as well.

22. If you need to change dining times or make a Palos reservation go to Wave Bands club directly upon boarding to take care of this. The sooner you do it the better your chances of getting what you want.

23.Pirate attire is welcome on pirate night for dinner. At dinner you will be given a free pirate bandana to wear and your menu is also a free souvenir to keep.

If I can help with any other questions please feel free to ask

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Fantastic suggestions, you are wealth of knowledge . I certainly had not seen some of those; we are really looking forward to the trip. Thanks again.

Mike
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Captain

Glad some of them were new to you.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

have you done to the DCL website and ordered the free DVD. it is fun to watch and may give you some more tips about the cruise.

I was assuming your cruise was 08 not 07 as you posted.

I am not familiar with a Kettle?

Is that a small appliance that boils water for the bottles?

I can tell you there are only 2 plugins in the room.
One is on the desk on the right and one is in the bathroom.
If you bring this to use be sure to unplug it when your not using it. They do request you dont leave anything plugged in, due to fire danger.

There are NO microwaves on board to warm things but if you need a bottle warmed at dinner you can ask for hot water to set it in.

They will also puree any food on the menu if you ask nicely

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old January 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Oops, I am still getting used to the New Year, still using 2007 for the dates . You are correct we fly in on Feb 23/2008 and set sail on the 24/2008.

Yes, a kettle would just be used to boil water to sanitize it for bottles. But we are thinking now that we might be able to use the water that they have for tea. It would have been brought to a boil so if we let it cool it might be just fine. We are checking with the baby’s doctor just to see what they recommend as well.

We ordered the DVD yesterday; hopefully we will get it in time. We have one for the parks and it has a little snippet on the cruise, but I am sure there is much more on that DVD. The whole trip was a last minute thing, just booked a couple weeks ago. So we are looking at all the sites on-line to help with our planning as well.

Do you know if they have lifejackets for kids for swimming, especially at CC? Our daughter can swim but is not a strong swimmer so we thought she might need one in the ocean, she has only swam in pools. We have one for her that we can bring but if they have them already we will leave ours at home.

Thanks again for all your help.
Mike
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Captain

Hi, the only life jackets I have seen are ones people brought themselves accept for when you rent a water toy they give you one to wear while riding they toy.

on deck 9 they have a drink station with hot tea water 24 hours a day

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old January 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Beginner

One more question if you don’t mind

We are traveling on the Disney Wonder (4 day) and have a late seating. For our daughter we wanted to know what the options were for eating dinner. We know they feed them when she is in the kids club but what about if she is not. Is the buffet open for dinner as well or only breakfast and lunch? If not what are the options for feeding her if she is not coming to dinner with us. Also she would need a snack to hold her over till an 8pm dinner when we do dine together, I am wondering what the options are for snacks at say around 5-6pm (pizza/burger/etc.).

I know there is always room service, but I don’t really want to have to be sitting in our room to feed her a snack. Do you have any insights on how to plan it out.

Thanks again…
Mike
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Captain

You have lots of options for food.
Deck 9 has pizza, burgers, chicken strips, chicken sandwiches, fries, chips, fresh fruit, wraps (assorted kinds) soft serve ice cream, sometimes pastas and mexican food.

we always get a plate of fresh fruits and put in our cooler (frig) and save for a sack. Also at lunch there are cookies and pastries you can easily take back and put in the cooler or just save on a plate for a snack. At breakfast there are donuts, yogurt, bagels and assorted small boxes od cold cereal, some kids like to snack on those too.

The drink station on deck 9 has ice cold milk, pop, ice tea, Hot chocolate,teas 24 hours a day.

My husband is diabetic so we always grab something extra from food places and keep in the room. You'll have plenty of choices each day.

If she doesnt want to wait and eat with you she can get from all the places I listed or the kids club takes them to a special buffet that is set up with kid friendly foods. Like mac and cheese, hot dogs, burgers, fries, jellos, fresh fruit, pizza, chicken strips, corn, things like that.

Now they did experiment with the buffet being open at dinner. On the Magic is is open for 2 hours a night accept the first and last night. But it is NOT a buffet, it is a sit down dinner and you are waited on, but it is much faster than the dining room and the menu is smaller but good.
It is a much more relaxed atmosphere there.
Earlier this month I read they were still giving this a try on the Wonder but I cant promise it will still be there when you cruise.

But dont count out room service. It usually takes 20 minutes if your not ordering at peak dinner hours. The food is very good, but grab your drink from the drink station or you will be charged for it. food is free, just rip a couple bucks.

around 11 or 11:30 outside Wave bands and the Promenade lounge they will have snacks set out. If your daughter is with you go to the Promenade area, that is the family lounge. Wave bands is for adults only.
also in the afternoons and early evening in the Promenade Lounge they often have chips and salsa in a metal stand to the left of the stage to snack on.
Diversions is a sports bar, but before 9:00 p.. it is for everyone and a syou enter there , turn left and sometimes they have hot wings and hot dogs in there.

hope this helps some,
Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Templeton
Hi, the only life jackets I have seen are ones people brought themselves accept for when you rent a water toy they give you one to wear while riding they toy.

Kathy
Note to self..always read Kathleens posts for she is a wealth of information. You should be working on the Mgic or Wonder with the amount of info and tips you have

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.��? --Jacques Cousteau
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfster
Quote:

Kathy
Note to self..always read Kathleens posts for she is a wealth of information. You should be working on the Mgic or Wonder with the amount of info and tips you have

Thanks, glad you found my tips helpful. After 17 DCL cruises I have aquired a lot of knowledge but they do change and update things from time to time, but I try to keep up with them.

Latest news is on March 20th the new Toy Story show will be replacing Hercules. i am excited to see it.

I still havnt used the Spa, too rich for my blood, Ha Ha!

Please ask anytime you have a question and I am happy to help.
Have a magical evening!
Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfster
Quote:

Kathy

Thanks, glad you found my tips helpful. After 17 DCL cruises I have aquired a lot of knowledge but they do change and update things from time to time, but I try to keep up with them.

I still havnt used the Spa, too rich for my blood, Ha Ha!

Please ask anytime you have a question and I am happy to help.
Have a magical evening!
Kathleen
Wow 17 times....wooohoooooo. I would have preferred Disney this coming October, but the DH really wanted to sail the Liberty of the Seas. I'm especially psyched for our Wonder cruise in 09 for my grown sons will be joing us, plus my eldest son's GF.

And, you can bet I'll be utilizing your extensive insider experience Kathleen as the date draws closer with lots of questions. Take care and happy cruising to you

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.��? --Jacques Cousteau