Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Default Transportation from the airport to the terminal - questions

My husband and I are going on our first Disney Cruise - a DVC Member cruise - in September. We are debating driving down a day early and to the port so we can arrive as early as we want (and get an early boarding pass number) or flying down a day early, getting some sort of transportation to a hotel and to the port. We have also contemplated staying on Disney property that night and taking their shuttle to the port, but we are concerned that might not get us there as early as we would like to get that early boarding pass number. Those of you who have taken a Disney cruise, what do you suggest? From what comapnies have you had good and reliable service? On previous cruises, we have stayed at Days Inn in Cocoa and taken their shuttle with fairly good success.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Hi-
We're leaving next week on our Disney cruise and we're going down a day early and staying at the AKL. We plan to take the Disney shuttle, so I'll be sure to give you a report as soon as we get back. They told me that the shuttle leaves at 11:00 from the hotel, which I guess would get us to the port around 1:00. Hope you are as excited about your cruise as I am about mine. I let you know when we get back.
Katie T.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Captain

If you fly in I would rent a car and drive there early and drop the car off at cocoa beach and the car rental place will shuttle you to the port, then pick you up after the cruise to pick back up the rental car to drive back to the airport or where ever you are going.
If you arrive early you can do this and be to the port at 10 when they first open to get an early boarding pass.
I think it is Hertz that has the free shuttle, you can look on line to make sure. If not it would be Avis, but I think it was Hertz. That way your not charged for the car while your gone.

If you drive down you can stay at the Radisson and leav eyour car there and take the shuttle there to the port. You sign up for the time when you check in. It is 5 minutes from the port so if it is filled for the early shuttles it wouldnt cost much to take a taxi even to get there when it opens at 10.

If you use a Disney bus you wont get there until afternoon and boarding starts around 11:30. By then you wont even be given a boarding pass, just check in and walk right on.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Beginner

Yes, Katie T, we are very excited. We have heard we will never want to cruise any of the lines we've done before again. I can't even imagine since it is also a DVC Member's cruise. I've been reading about all the goodies they give on these cruises, and we can't wait!

Kathleen - This is exactly what we wanted to know. We had stayed in Cocoa before and taken a shuttle but hadn't even thought of renting one way from MCO. That might be the way to go for us. Call us crazy, but it seems we have an extra day on the ship when we get aboard early enough to get the lay of the land and enjoy it a bit before we leave. Thanks again!
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Captain

Its me again,
I just was doing some reading and I think it was Avis that has the shuttle also.
I know there are 2 car rental agencies that provide this service from cocoa beach. You may want to google Avis and Hertz to make sure which one or both do this before you make your resrvation.

Have fun
Kahleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Beginner

Default Getting to the port

Hello!

We also were trying to figure out what to do regarding the car and getting to the port.

It turned out to be only 40.00 more to keep the car during the cruise. The Raddison will allow you to park your car there for free and shuttle you to the port at the time that you request.

We found Alamo to be the cheapest and at Hotels.com you can get a room at the Raddison for 99.00.

Enterprise also allows you to rent a car at the MCO airport and then drop it off in Cocoa Beach and they will shuttle you to the port and back after the cruise. That just sounded like a hassle to have to return and re rent a car.

Good luck!
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Beginner

Default Disney Busses were great

We just got back from our cruise and took the disney bus from our hotel in WDW to the port. We were picked up at the Animal Kingdom Lodge around 12:30-1:00 and got to the port around 2:00 We spent about 15 minutes going through security and checking in and didn't wait in a single line! We walked right on the boat and our stateroom was ready. It was also nice because they took all of our baggage from us at the hotel in the morning of our departure and had it in our staterooms when we got there.
It was great not having to carry all of our luggage with us. I would highly recommend this. Also you might want to consider booking a land/sea vacation because then you can get checked in at the hotel and you literally walk right onto the boat when you get to the terminal.
Good luck
Katie T.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Disney Busses were great

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskpt
We just got back from our cruise and took the disney bus from our hotel in WDW to the port. We were picked up at the Animal Kingdom Lodge around 12:30-1:00 and got to the port around 2:00 We spent about 15 minutes going through security and checking in and didn't wait in a single line! We walked right on the boat and our stateroom was ready. It was also nice because they took all of our baggage from us at the hotel in the morning of our departure and had it in our staterooms when we got there.
It was great not having to carry all of our luggage with us. I would highly recommend this. Also you might want to consider booking a land/sea vacation because then you can get checked in at the hotel and you literally walk right onto the boat when you get to the terminal.
Good luck
Katie T.
We have thought of staying at WDW the night before and would love to because there will be a party for some of the members going on this cruise, but getting to port at 2:00 is way too late to satisfy us. We love getting on board first thing so we can learn a new ship and enjoy her for the day before we leave. Thanks for the information on what time your shuttle took you!
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
First Mate

The last time we went on a Disney cruise we flew in a day ahead and stayed at the Orlando airport. We took the Disney transportation the next morning and we left at 9:00 A.M. We got to the port before everyone else starting arriving by plane.

Have a fun trip,
Kathy
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Beginner

I am going on the Disney cruise in December, and I have found a service that seems to be cheaper and easier than renting a car. We will be arriving in Orlando the day before and staying at the Hawthorne Suites at the airport. The next morning at 10:15, a shuttle will pick us up from the hotel and take us directly to the ship. We are a party of eleven and the cost of this is $20/per person ROUND TRIP. The company is called Around the Clock Shuttle service. Their website is www.aroundtheclockusa.com.