Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Default Additional costs?

I thought a cruise might be the way to go next year. I just don't know what the extra costs will be over the quoted price. How much is typical for tips, meals, excursions, adult meals and childcare and that sort of thing?

We'll either be traveling with a group of 5 - 3 children, ages 7,8 and 10, or a group of 9 - one senior with mobility issues, 5 kids ages 7, 8, 10, 10 and 12. I understand this might be a tacky question. I don't mean to be nosy, but if people would feel comfortable even PMing me I would be so appreciative.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Captain

Hi, Not tacky at all, everyone needs to know how to budget for a vacation and needs to know all the prices.

kids clubs are free.
Nursery costs $6 per hour minimum 2 hours. Limit of 10 hours per cruise but you can often get extra hours if they have cancellations or just have an opening.

Bingo is extra
special adult only restaurant Palos is extra $10 per person which is towards gratuities, not for the food. most leave a little extra cash ont he table besides. This is reservation only, nice dress place. It is optional.

Photos cost extra

room service is free, but a tip for waiter is customary

we bring a few ones to stash in the drawer just for this purpose.

Porters who take your bags into the terminal s customary $1 per bag unless it is extra heavy then we leave $2 per bag, although many never tip these guys.

Parking is $12 per day at the terminal if you drive to the port.
many rental cars you can return at cocoa beach and they shuttle you to the port for free and pick you up after the cruise to rent the car again.

some hotels also will let you leave your car there if you spend the night there before the cruise and offer a free shuttle to the port.
If you park at the port, make sure there is NO FOOD in the car or it will be filled with ants upon your return.

mixed drinks cost extra
arcade is extra
pop is free in all restaurants and the drink station on deck 9, but if you rode rit from a bar or waiter anywhere on the ship it will cost extra.
The food around the pool is free and goofys galley is free.

Late night snacks and snacks in some of the clubs are all free too.

suggested tips are:

3 night 4 night 7 night

Restaurant Server $11.00 $14.75 $25.75
Restaurant Asst Serv $ 8.00 $10.75 $18.75
Head Server $ 2.75 $ 3.75 $ 6.50
Stateroom Host/ees $10.75 $14.50 $25.25

This is per person including kids

of course they have 2 stores and snacks place by the theater where you can buy souvenirs and extra snacks But there is so much free food I dont know whey anyone would buy snacks.

when we go to the movie or show we take a pop from deck 9 drink station and grab a hot dog or burger or fresh fruit from deck 9 to snack on.

we often take extra desserts or cookies from the dessert bar in the buffet at lunch time and put in the room for later at the movies.

on the room service menu it doesnt say it but you can order Mickey ice cream bars and in the late evening you can order warm chocolate chip cookies. a nice dessert for the kids before bed. They charge for milk and pop for room service, so while one person orders the warm cookies others go to deck 9 drink station for free cups of ice cold milk.

They also have tea, hot cocoa,coffee, fruit punch or lemonade and coke products there.
movies are free.
excuirsions cost extra.

all the events are free.

I am sure ther must be something else you are charged for but I cant think of it right now.

compared to other lines we have been on DCL doesnt really charge for very many for extras.

hope this helps you some, please feel free to aks me any questions you may have about DCL cruises, even PM me if ou want.

we have done 17 of them so far with and without kids . from 1 1/2 years old to 16years of age so we have experienced most areas of both ships.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Captain

I forgot to say if you havnt already done this, go to DCL web site and order the free DVD for the cruise line. It is fun to watch and full of information too.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it,

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old February 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Beginner

Thank you So Much. That was very informative. I do have one question though ... are the tips once per trip? I've read a few posts that make it seem that way, but I wanted to make sure. How do you give them to the people if that's the case? And is it normal to leave a small tip at the table anyway?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Captain

room service tp is given at the time of service.

Dining room tips and and room host are given the last night of the cruise. so only given once
They will deliver some envelopes to your room 2 nights before the end of your cruise unless your on a 3 day then it is the day before and each envelope will have a job named on it.
One will say Host or hostess, head server, asst server etc...

They will also give you a paper with the suggested tips just like I gave you. People put cash in them and after dinner on the last night you hand the envelope to all the dining room personel and thank them for their service.

The room host can be left on the bed in the envelope when you go to dinner if you want. that is when your host will turn down your bed and they will find it. Or if you see your host or hostess in the hallway that evening you can hand it to them also. either way is ok.

we bring cash for this, and keep it in the safe.
But you can also go to guest services and ask them to add the suggested tips or more if you want to your room bill and then request a receipt to put in each envelope to hand to the people.

Now they may tell you that it is not necessary to hand the envelopes out when paying at guest services but tell them you want to anyway. if you dont you will look like you are stiffing your servers because everyone else will be handing them envelopes at the end of their meals. They all parade around the dining room carrying flags from their countries so you can stand and applaude them before giving the envelopes.

If you dont have the envelope you will feel pretty embarassed even though you have paid.

If you want to give extra during the week you could but I havnt seen that.
I have seen a couple of big spenders who tipped $50 the first night and told their waiter that if they take extra good care of them there will be extra at the end of the trip. But I didnt notice him getting any better treatment than the rest of us, just keep his mug full of beer.

Now one acception to this rule is, pn some cruises the buffet will open for 2 hours int he evening for dinner. It is NOT a buffet then. it is sit down service. This will not happen on the first or last night of the cruise.
But some people who dont want to dress up for formal night or have lots of kids and want a quicker, quieter dinner will go there instead of the dinning rooms. If you eat in their then you should leave a small amount of cash on the table when you leave.

The wait staff in there are in training for the main dining rooms. so they are really trying hard but sometimes dont have the personality of your main servers. They are concentrating on getting your order correct.
Their bosses are standing 20 feet away so they can be a bit nervous.

we have had good service and great food in there. It is casual every night.

kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old February 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to instimpres

You may also want to shop around. Many agencies offer on board credits that can be used toward the "additional expenses".

Cruisecompete.com is great for that as many agencies bid for your business.
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Captain

these also offer pretty good deals

www;allseastravel.com
www.dreamsunlimited.com

Have fun planning

kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old October 30th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Familiar Face

I know it's been awhile since the original post, but for others the second biggest onboard expense over the piece of art was pictures, my there are a lot of pictures. And with kids they will want the pictures. They do have packages and you can pick pictures and trade them out for others. We were behind one couple who had a stack and I mean stack of pictures the total was close to two THOUSAND dollars for the pictures. We bought a package and wound up upgrading the package, think it was 299.00 for quite a few pictures.
Carnival Destiny 25Oct08 rm1120
Carnival Legend 30Sept07 rm6232 Great Balcony
Carnival Valor 10Sept06 rm1011
Carnival Holiday 08May06 rmE47
Commodore Enchanted Isle 09Sept98 rm465