Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Beginner

Default How Potty Trained must a child be.... Oceaneer's Club

My daughter just turned 3. She is potty trained, but still has accidents occasionally and sometimes has to be reminded to go (like most normal 3 year olds). She wears regular (big girl) panties during the day, but still wears pull-ups at night. Will they let her in the Oceaneers Club?

Thanks!!!
Nikki

Disney Wonder 5/1/08
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Captain

as long as she doesnt wear pullups during the day she should be fine.
She has to be able to go into the bathroom by herself also. They have child size toilets which help and first thing upon entering the club she will be shown where it is at.

They do understand kids will get excited and have an accident sometimes, but if it happens everytime she goes to the club they will ask she not come again.

here are a few tips that helped us, maybe they will help her.

No drinks within 45 minutes of going to the club.
take to the bathroom just before going to the club.

check back in an hour to remind her to go. You can sign in as a guest and stay with her if you want. That may help for the first couple of hours to show her the potty an extra time and make sure she goes before you leave her.

One idea that really helped with one grandaughter was:

she loved the princesses. so we got a cheap princess watch at walmart and set the alarm for 1 hour. we trained her to try to go potty when the alarm went off and how to turn it off .
we rewarded her for this and explained all the little princesses needed help to remember to go and that is why. We explained how Proud Mickey is of her when she does this.

after a few days she would go and try about every hour even without the watch, it was just habit. also we took her to exciting places like Chuck E cheeses or the zoo or park where she would be excited to make sure she would still remember to go with the watch and she did.

it took about 2 weeks to train her with lots of praise and patience.

A little extra care and she will do fine.

kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Your daughter will be admitted if she if potty trained and not wearing pullups. But if she has an accident they will page you and she won't be able to participate in the activities any longer. They really rely on the children to go to the potty when they need to and don't remind them. I think because there are so many children there they couldn't keep track. Good luck and enjoy your cruise - we just got back two weeks ago and it was wonderful!
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I have the same concern. Our 3 yr old son is most days accident-free...but sometimes he just doesn't want to stop what he's doing and he'll have an accident. I was wondering too if he has an accident if he's automatically booted out of the kid club. I really want to keep him w/his 5-yr-old sister instead of sending him to the club for up to 36 months (Freedom of the Seas on RC). I see your questions were a few years ago...anyone have any recent experience on RC?
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Admiral

I've never sailed Disney, (not yet) but I have issue with the fact that Disney let's kids stay after they have an accident.

THere was a post about this on another Disney Cruise board, and I was apparently the only one who took issue.

My concern is that if a child pees on the floor (or poops); there are sanitation issues. I would assume and hope that Disney can quickly address this .... but they can't be everywhere. There are also safety issues if a child steps in pee and slides.

I'd rather that DIsney allowed kids in with pull-ups than risk parents leaving their kids there when the child isn't really potty-trained.

I'm not passing any judgement about your child and whether or not she should be allowed to stay in kid's clubs; but when they put rules out there in the interest of public health, they (the staff) shoudl endorse them. Otherwise people break the rules (like putting their kids in a swimming pool and the kid poops in the pool, because a mom didn't put a swim diaper on because swim diapers are not allowed).

But to answer your question, from what I've read on disney cruise boards, your child will be allowed to have accidents and permitted to return.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991