Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Beginner

Default land / sea package

We are planning to do the land / sea disney vacation starting October 29th with our 6 year old. We are adding the pre-night stay at the hotel.

We have been on six cruises. My questions:

1. Does disney charge extra for internet access at the moderate resorts and on the ship?

2. Does the moderate hotels have an internet cafe like the ship? I am self-employed, which means I sometimes have to work when I am on vacation. The blackberry does not always work on a cruise ship and sometimes there are dead spots on land.

3. castaway cay - are all water activities included in the price or do you have to pay extra for the motorized activities and snorkeling gear?

4. I thought I read somewhere that people have brought a bottle of alcohol on a Disney cruise. Is this true?

5. Which moderate resort would you recommend?
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside Disney's , Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter, or Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

6. Is October a little less busier for Disney than other months? We usually take one of our vacations in October because it isn't busy. However, being Disney, they may not have high, mid and low season.

7. We were told you can bring a back pack into the park with food that is in a closed container. Does that include tupperware as a closed container?

8. We are not sure if we are going to drive or fly. Do the moderate hotels charge for parking?

9. Do you know if we can add the shuttle between hotel / airport / port if we decide to fly after we book our vacation. Does this cost extra?

10. Any suggestions on what our 6 year old must experience? (It has been 20 years since I have been to DW.) She is tall for her age so I think she should be able to do most of the rides at DW. She loves water activities; including boogie boarding and snorkeling. Do they offer boogie boarding at castaway cay?

11. We have done a Bahamas cruise in the past on another cruise line. We did an excursion to Altantis via water taxi. What does it cost to do this on your own?

12. When we were at Atlantis, they limited us to what beach / pool we could use since we were not staying on the property. Does Atlantis still do this or do you have access to the entire resort.

13. What does DW for Halloween? We will be staying at the hotel on Halloween.

14. Do the cabins include a safe? I could not find that information anywhere.

Yes, lots of questions. I appreciate any information you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Captain

Boy that is auestions.
I will try to help with as many as I can.

Yes the have internet on the ship and yes they charge extra for it.
Disney Cruise Line Internet Access

Computer Terminal Locations
Wireless Internet
Cell Phone Usage

Promenade Lounge
The Promenade Lounge is located mid-ship on deck 3 on both the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. The Promenade lounge is spacious and has a classy atmosphere, accented by wood panels and large porthole views. You can enjoy lounge acts performing in the evenings. During the day it fosters a quiet, relaxed feeling where you can catch the news on any one of a number of tv sets and enjoy drinks and complimentary snacks with friends and family.

Internet Cafe
The Internet Cafe is Located on Deck 3 (near the Promenade Lounge). This group of 16 terminals provides high-speed access to the internet via the ships on-board satellite system. Guests of all ages can access the internet from this location and it is open 24 hours a day.

Cove Cafe
The Cove Cafe is located on deck 9. This adults only coffee bar is for guests 18 and over. The computer terminals can be accessed when the cafe is open.

Teens can access the internet from Aloft (Disney Wonder) or The Stack (Disney Magic.)

Per-Minute rates:

DISNEY MAGIC
$0.75 per minute
$27.50 for 50 minutes
$40 for 100 minutes
$75 for 250 minutes

DISNEY WONDER
$0.75 per minute
$27.50 for 50 minutes
$40 for 100 minutes
$75 for 250 minutes

The rates are the same as noted above. Printing is available at $.025 per page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireless Internet Service
If you have a wireless ready laptop, you can use your personal computer to access the internet while onboard both the Disney Wonder and Disney Magic. You will find several "hot spots" throughout the ship, including most staterooms.

Printing is not available for wireless connections

I dont know about the resorts, but it does seem everywhere tends to have it available.

On CC you do have to rent your snorkeling gear unless you bring your own, then if you dont have the yellow safety vest they will jus loan you one for free.
all the water toys do cost but are cheap. many reserve them ahead of time, but there are so many there is really no need to do that. wait until you hit the beach, just have your card with you (room card) and then decid ewhat youmay want to do. example if it is too windy they wont allow the water trikes to be riden, so you would skip to something else.

I do recommend renting a bike for an hour. They never check when you return it,s o you can stay out a bit longer if you want. They have 2 long trails and one has an observation tower for a great view plus look down beside the tower for whimsical things to see.

Many do bring their own alcohol and some even soft dinks because they dont like coke proiducts. coke products are free on board at the drink station on deck 9 and all meals but if you orde r it from a waiter any where outside the restauranrs it iwll cost you.

The alcohol is a trickyone though. Theyhave signs that sayyou cant do this but everybody does and nobody says anything.
But please keep it in your carry on, dont check it or it will get broken, no matter how well you pack it.
Many bring their own wine but if they uncork it there is a fee.

October isnt as crowded as summer months. Halloween is alittle more busy due to Mickeys not so scar yhalloween party held at the Magic Kingdom after hours a few nights a week. It does cost extra and they do limkit tickets so it is not too crowded. details are on line at WDW's home site.

Yes you can bring a back pack with food.
clear containers so they can see into them are what theywant. They will search all purses, tote bags, pruses, back packs diaper bags, everything.
Do not put even a metal fork ot knife for eating with or they will be taken away. take plastic.

also do not do the Magic Kingdom on a saturday unless you have no other choise. It is always the busiest place on saturday. all the locals go on saturday. if you do have to go on a saturday, be there before it opens to get right in, the crowds will disperse quickly once you neter the park. use fast passes, get one before you even do a ride and keep getting new ones as the time on the pass allows.

No preference on hotels, we lived within driving distance

No hotel will charge for parking i fyour staying there, but if you drive to the parks they will charge you for parking. I thinki its up to 10 or 12 a day now. w ehave a psss so dont have to pay for it.

If you fly in WDW has the Magical express that will take youto your on site hotel for free and backto the airport fromyour hotel.
But if you use their bus to get to the port, that bus does charge t pick you up at your resort and pick you up at the port and take you to the airpiort or park. If your cruise is first and you fly in the cruise bus will get you there too and take you to the port. Youmust have a reservation for this ahead of time. I think its about $65 per person for the round trip, they play a fun video for you on the way to keep the magic going for the cruise.

Personally I would do the cruise 2nd, do the parks first because they can be quite tiring and the cruse is relaxing, so your not so tired when you go back home.

sorry no booie boards at CC. No waves, it is blocked by a jetty.
there is a family beach with a play area in the water and tubes and floats fo rrent. snorkeling too and there is a sunekn ship out aways with a hidden Mickey statue that everyone wants to find, lots of fish, big ones too. the bike ride is fun, check out the grouper game room too while your there.

I think the water taxi was $11 round trip last time we used it.

go to DCL's web site and go to destinations, click on Nassau then excursions, they use to have 2 atlantis excursions listed. One gave you access to all the pools and slides and the aquarium the other just the aquarium, not sure if they still have it.
also there is a hotel behind atlantis, cant think of the name but if you book a day room there you can check in and then use your room card there to gain access to the pool areas of atlantis. nobody everuses the room, just check in early to get their proof to present at atlantis. I'm sure you could google the name. If I findit later I will let you know.

accept for decorations I dont think the hotels do little if anything, but a s I posted earlier they do have the Mickeys not so scaryhalloween party for extra and kids dress up and trick or treat around the magic kingdom, do rides and a special parade and lots of characters all dressed up. if you want to do this, book it now if you can. They sell out right away.

the 2 times w estayed at the all star resorts there they did have asafe. I'm sure all the hotels do because guests need a safe place to put valuables while inthe parks or swimming at the pools or water parks.I cant imagine them not having one.

If your child loves to swim youmight consider a water park at WDW. they have 2 and both are great.

feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

i have been on 16 dcl cruises and have been to WDW about 500+ times in the last 8 years.

suggestions for a must see for a 6 year old?? at MK, Philharmagic 4D show. all the places are great but I just love donald cuck and he is the star in that show, just make sure at the end of the show you look at the back of the theater.

kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Captain

Boy that is auestions.
I will try to help with as many as I can.

Yes the have internet on the ship and yes they charge extra for it.
Disney Cruise Line Internet Access

Wireless Internet
Cell Phone Usage

Promenade Lounge
The Promenade Lounge is located mid-ship on deck 3 on both the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. The Promenade lounge is spacious and has a classy atmosphere, accented by wood panels and large porthole views. You can enjoy lounge acts performing in the evenings. During the day it fosters a quiet, relaxed feeling where you can catch the news on any one of a number of tv sets and enjoy drinks and complimentary snacks with friends and family.

Internet Cafe
The Internet Cafe is Located on Deck 3 (near the Promenade Lounge). This group of 16 terminals provides high-speed access to the internet via the ships on-board satellite system. Guests of all ages can access the internet from this location and it is open 24 hours a day.

Cove Cafe
The Cove Cafe is located on deck 9. This adults only coffee bar is for guests 18 and over. The computer terminals can be accessed when the cafe is open.

Teens can access the internet from Aloft (Disney Wonder) or The Stack (Disney Magic.)

Per-Minute rates:

DISNEY MAGIC
$0.75 per minute
$27.50 for 50 minutes
$40 for 100 minutes
$75 for 250 minutes

DISNEY WONDER
$0.75 per minute
$27.50 for 50 minutes
$40 for 100 minutes
$75 for 250 minutes

The rates are the same as noted above. Printing is available at $.025 per page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireless Internet Service
If you have a wireless ready laptop, you can use your personal computer to access the internet while onboard both the Disney Wonder and Disney Magic. You will find several "hot spots" throughout the ship, including most staterooms.

Printing is not available for wireless connections

I dont know about the resorts, but it does seem everywhere tends to have it available.

On CC you do have to rent your snorkeling gear unless you bring your own, then if you dont have the yellow safety vest they will jus loan you one for free.
all the water toys do cost but are cheap. many reserve them ahead of time, but there are so many there is really no need to do that. wait until you hit the beach, just have your card with you (room card) and then decid ewhat youmay want to do. example if it is too windy they wont allow the water trikes to be riden, so you would skip to something else.

I do recommend renting a bike for an hour. They never check when you return it,s o you can stay out a bit longer if you want. They have 2 long trails and one has an observation tower for a great view plus look down beside the tower for whimsical things to see.

Many do bring their own alcohol and some even soft dinks because they dont like coke proiducts. coke products are free on board at the drink station on deck 9 and all meals but if you orde r it from a waiter any where outside the restauranrs it iwll cost you.

The alcohol is a trickyone though. Theyhave signs that sayyou cant do this but everybody does and nobody says anything.
But please keep it in your carry on, dont check it or it will get broken, no matter how well you pack it.
Many bring their own wine but if they uncork it there is a fee.

October isnt as crowded as summer months. Halloween is alittle more busy due to Mickeys not so scar yhalloween party held at the Magic Kingdom after hours a few nights a week. It does cost extra and they do limkit tickets so it is not too crowded. details are on line at WDW's home site.

Yes you can bring a back pack with food.
clear containers so they can see into them are what theywant. They will search all purses, tote bags, pruses, back packs diaper bags, everything.
Do not put even a metal fork ot knife for eating with or they will be taken away. take plastic.

also do not do the Magic Kingdom on a saturday unless you have no other choise. It is always the busiest place on saturday. all the locals go on saturday. if you do have to go on a saturday, be there before it opens to get right in, the crowds will disperse quickly once you neter the park. use fast passes, get one before you even do a ride and keep getting new ones as the time on the pass allows.

No preference on hotels, we lived within driving distance

No hotel will charge for parking i fyour staying there, but if you drive to the parks they will charge you for parking. I thinki its up to 10 or 12 a day now. w ehave a psss so dont have to pay for it.

If you fly in WDW has the Magical express that will take youto your on site hotel for free and backto the airport fromyour hotel.
But if you use their bus to get to the port, that bus does charge t pick you up at your resort and pick you up at the port and take you to the airpiort or park. If your cruise is first and you fly in the cruise bus will get you there too and take you to the port. Youmust have a reservation for this ahead of time. I think its about $65 per person for the round trip, they play a fun video for you on the way to keep the magic going for the cruise.

Personally I would do the cruise 2nd, do the parks first because they can be quite tiring and the cruse is relaxing, so your not so tired when you go back home.

sorry no booie boards at CC. No waves, it is blocked by a jetty.
there is a family beach with a play area in the water and tubes and floats fo rrent. snorkeling too and there is a sunekn ship out aways with a hidden Mickey statue that everyone wants to find, lots of fish, big ones too. the bike ride is fun, check out the grouper game room too while your there.

I think the water taxi was $11 round trip last time we used it.

go to DCL's web site and go to destinations, click on Nassau then excursions, they use to have 2 atlantis excursions listed. One gave you access to all the pools and slides and the aquarium the other just the aquarium, not sure if they still have it.
also there is a hotel behind atlantis, cant think of the name but if you book a day room there you can check in and then use your room card there to gain access to the pool areas of atlantis. nobody everuses the room, just check in early to get their proof to present at atlantis. I'm sure you could google the name. If I findit later I will let you know.

accept for decorations I dont think the hotels do little if anything, but a s I posted earlier they do have the Mickeys not so scaryhalloween party for extra and kids dress up and trick or treat around the magic kingdom, do rides and a special parade and lots of characters all dressed up. if you want to do this, book it now if you can. They sell out right away.

the 2 times w estayed at the all star resorts there they did have asafe. I'm sure all the hotels do because guests need a safe place to put valuables while inthe parks or swimming at the pools or water parks.I cant imagine them not having one.

If your child loves to swim youmight consider a water park at WDW. they have 2 and both are great.

feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

i have been on 16 dcl cruises and have been to WDW about 500+ times in the last 8 years.

suggestions for a must see for a 6 year old?? at MK, Philharmagic 4D show. all the places are great but I just love donald cuck and he is the star in that show, just make sure at the end of the show you look at the back of the theater.

kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Kathleen,

You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Disney! This information and your other posts are quite helpful.

We do plan to do DW and then the cruise. I never realized how far in advance I should book the halloween event. Thanks for the heads up!

One more question,

Is there anything else you would suggest doing in Nassau?
Is there a beach within walking distance of the port?
Have you ever booked an excursion through another company instead of the ship?
Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter? Do you get some swimming time on this excursion?

It's been awhile since I have been to Nassau so I can't remember what is near the port. I do remember the "market" and the street that has all the shops.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Captain

The pirate museum is a neat place to see. allow about an hour to see. is a 10 minute walk from the ship. You said you remember the straw market, it is a large purple building 2 blocks behind the straw market. last time w edid it I paid $12 per adult and I think $8 per kid. You do this on your own. You caan google pirste museum nassau and you can find out all about it.

we enjoyed the horse and carriage ride too. This is right in front of the port. The price varies according to the length of the ride. It is narrated but is hard to hear due to the traffic. But still it is something you never get to do here, and we enjoyd it.

I dont know the name but there is an hotel that people take a taxi to and use their beach. I think it is just 3 or 4 miles from the port? Information desk in the port buidling could tell you for sure. If I think of it I will tell you.

Most kids dont like historical things but if your child likes forts there are 2 forts close by. either do an excursion or hire a taxi.
We did the 2 hour historical city tour. we climbed Queen Annes staircase and saw 2 forts. One is not much left, but the other is great and you get a guided tour .

Of course the aquarium at Atlantis is awesome.

I havnt done the dolphin excursion. sorry. I have heard it is a great excursion but I dont know about the swimming part?

all the nice stores are on the street behind the straw market.
Be sure and check the old stores near the straw market, last time we went they had lowered their prices to compete with the straw market.

on board they will have a shopping presentation if you want to learn about the shops, but dont worry about going in person unless you just have the free time because they play it on the TV all the time after the presentation is over.

your navigator will have a shopping guide in it too with a map that will help you'.
hope this will help you some.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:23 AM
Passenger

I cannot give advice on a Disney cruise or on Disney resorts, but I have some for Disney World parks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Templeton

kathleen
Totally agreed on the PhilharMagic tip! DH and I spent a week at WDW in 2006 and 2007. PhilharMagic is our favorite thing at Magic Kingdom! (Pirates of the Caribbean ranks a close second.) I think the Peter Pan ride close to the PhilharMagic would be good for a 6 year old as well. We liked that too. Sooo many things at Magic Kingdom!

If you go to the Animal Kingdom, there's a 4D show there inside the tree called A Bug's Life or something. Based on that movie anyways. That was cool, especially for kids. The safari is cool as well. Lots of things for kids here.

If you go to EPCOT you gotta take your 6 year old to the Turtle Talk with Crush! Totally awesome, dude! Not much else for a child that young IMO, although something fun for all ages is to get EPCOT 'passports' and have them stamped at each country at the World Showcase. There are activities for kids at each country as well. In fact, you go to the kids area of each country to get your passport stamped.

Hollywood Studios (aka MGM) is geared more towards adults, but there's a few things there kids would love. There was a Muppets show which was cool, and I remember seeing some other things that I thought to myself at the time would be cool for kids, but since I had none with me I didn't check them out any further.

The night show at Hollywood Studios was our favorite out of the three parks that have one. (Animal Kingdom does not as they close at 6.) EPCOT's was cool I guess. The fireworks at Magic Kingdom had me in tears when I saw them the first time. So beautiful! Truly amazing. I say Hollywood Studios has our favorite overall because it's more than just fireworks and music. However, if you go to the Magic Kingdom on Monday you can see the evening parade, SpectroMagic. In a word, Awesome! (It was just on Mondays last year anyways. Check their website if you're interested to see if it's changed.)

Can I go with you?!?

Carnival Legend 5/4
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Beginner

Carrie,

Where did you stay when you went to WDW?