Disney Magic Questions
My family and I are taking our first cruise in Feb 2009 on the Disney Magic and I had a few questions:
Can you bring your own pop/water/liquor on the ship?
Do they have clocks/alarm clocks in the rooms?
How many plugs are in the room?
I also have some questions on shore excursions but I will post them later.
Thanks for the help,
People have brought their own pop, beer and wine on board. They dont want you to bring hard liquor but some do. You must put all beverages in your carry on bags. If you bring a cooler it must be a soft sided one.
They do have free pop at all the restaurants on on deck 9 there is a drink station that is open 24/7 with coke products, coffee, many kinds of tes, cocoa, milk too. so unless you dont like Coke I wouldnt bring pop.
we just grab a cup and take it with us to the show or clubs. If you order pop from a bar or a waiter you will be charged.
They have a clock but its not an alarm clock. They do have a free wake up service. Mickey will call and wake you when ever you want.
On the desk there is a place where you can plug in something and in the bathroom I think there is also one plug in. Thats all. Many bring an extension cord with a mulitple plug in on it if they need more plug ins.
Thanks Kathleen :D When you say that all beverages must be in your carry on bag does that mean that they check what you bring on? I was also thinking of bringing a case of water but that definitly would not fit in a carry on. Any suggestions? Also have you been on many excursions? We have a few planned and I was just wondering if they are good ones for family or maybe you would have a better suggestion. We are doing the Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory, the Grand Cayman 7 mile beach break and the Castaway Rays stingray adventure.
We have a reservation for dinner at Palo but I've also heard their brunch is a must see as well. Have you been? Is it worth the $$.
Thanks again so much for all your help and advice.
your carry on bags are scanned, but they rarely go through them.
If you put beverages inyour checked luggage they will probably be busted open and make a mess. They handle those bags rough, thats why they say put them in the carry on baggage.
Many just carry on a case of water by itself. They do sell it on board but it was spendy, sorry I dont remember the price. Their water tasted just fine to us so we never bought any.
Key west butterfly excursion is very good for younger kids. Also everything is within walking distance from the dock to explore on your own. There is a nice aquarium 5 minutes from the ship, many shops too. most kids love the aquarium. If you google Key West Tourism you can find a list of things right near the ship to seee and do. The Pirate museum is a favorite with kids too. But I will warn you after you leave the room with computers screens where you can read about lots of pirates is scary for kids. It has a dummy of a pirate being hung and such. so with young kids, just have them close their eyes before you go in there and walk them past. Other than that it is a great museum and a great gift shop. Of course you can go through the gift shop without doing the museum.
7 miles beach is beautiful, you'll love it. Great family beach.
Cozumel is a tough one with kids. The only thing i can think of is another beach day. They are not really set up for kids there.
On Castaway Cay I also suggest renting bikes. There are 2 nice trails to ride. One with an observation tower for a nice view of the island. Be sure and look down around the tower base area for some whimsical things. I wont say what. Bikes come in all sizes and even with or without training wheels for kids. Some adult bikes have baby seats too. Helmets are available for anyone under 16. They rent by the hour, but nobody checks the bikes back in.
You just ride up and put them in the racks and walk away. So if your a few minutes late it wont hurt anything. With kids it soemtimes takes a bit longer. There are big wooden containers with free ice water on both trails too.
I just got back from a Western the first of November. It was very nice but we had to miss Grand Caymen this time due to waves being a bit choppy for the tender boats. I have done 2 other Westerns too.
Palos is worth every penny. The money is mostly for the tip although many leave some cash on the table too. The food is very good and its a beautiful restaurant. However in my opinion Brunch is much better than dinner. I like things a bit more casual. Food is awesome. Brunch is only on sea days.
You can check for openings upon boarding at Rock N Bar D restaurant.
They will give you a paper at check in that will giv eyou the exact time to go there to make reservations. But its close to boarding time. Be there right when they start for the best chance. Many people will change their times or cancel during the cruise so don't give up hope if its full.
Not sure if I helped you much,but I think you picked good excursions for kids.
I think the Eastern has more of a selection for kid friendly excursions than the Western does.
Please let me know if I can help with any other questions. I am happy to try to help.
here are a few tips th tmight be helpful since its your first cruise. A few may not pertain to you but others will.
1.early arrival gets an early boarding pass number.
2.terminal opens 10 a.m.
3.boarding starts around 11:30 to noon.
4.keep camera with you at ALL times, even in the terminal. characters will appear there for photos. ourdoor viewing area of the ship for photos.
5 check in at kids club table while waiting to board ship. saves you time on the ship.
6. take a few ones. some for room service tips some to tip porters who take your bags at the termnal. $1 per bag is customary.
7. take small bills for the islands. many small shops dont have change.
8. if your going to use your credit card on the islands, call your CC company first and tell them or you will have to wait on a phone call to ok all your purchases. This is a big hassle and can take 30 minutes or more.
9. most shops who take credit cards, require a $20 minimum purchase.
10 take camera to dinner each night, surprizes happen all the time. You wont be alone. you will even see cam corders at dinner.
11. arrive at all shows 20 minutes early for good seats.
12. arrive at character meets 10 minutes early
13 Princess meets arrive 15 minutes early
14. on Castaway cay if you want your photo taken with Captain Jack Sparrow, do NOT ride the tram to the beach area. It does NOT stop near him. You must walk in to the beach signs say 20 minute walk in it takes us 10 minutes. he will be along the way in the sand and photo has the flying Dutchman behind you, great photo! Check navigator for times he will be there.
15 There are characters along the way to the beach, ok to ride the tram for this. Lines are short and move quickly so it is a great opportunity to see characters without lines. check navigator for times and places.
16 also characters appear at the gazebo near cookies BBQ on the island during the day.
17 adult only beach has it's own area for lunch they often have steaks or lobster there as a special treat for the grown ups. But Cookies BBQ by family beach has more variety of other foods.
18 dont ,miss the good bye late the last night in the atrium. ALL the characters will line up on the stairs and will pose for photos for you. This farwell party is really nice and fun.
19 check for photos everyday at shutters. buy a package deal and save $$ if you dont buy enough photos for the package deal they will refund you the difference at the end of your cruise .
or if you buy a photo and then decide the next day you see one you want more, just bring back the one you bought and the receipt and tell them you want to exchange it and they will be happy to do this for you.
20. you can order warm chocolate chip cookies or Mickey ice cream bars from room service even though it is not on the menu. The warm cookies are available in the evenings only
21. bring 2 white pillowcases or a matte style picture frame in a zip lock baggie with water proof markers and leave at guest services desk ask to be autographed and it will be returned to you the last night all signed by the characters. I also add a card with my name and room number on it just in case their card gets lost. I like to use dark colored markers, the light colors dont show up as well.
22. If you need to change dining times or make a Palos reservation go to Wave Bands club directly upon boarding to take care of this. The sooner you do it the better your chances of getting what you want.
23. I fyou have kids leave a wake up call and then let them answer the phone. It will surprize the because Mickey will be on the phone telling them it is time to get up.
24 Afternoon matinees of the shows are great to see. They are the exact same show, they leave out nothing but it is less crowded and kids arnt as tired, plus it makes for a more leisurely evening. No need to rush to or from the shows due to your dinner time.
25. Pop is free in all restaurants and at the drink station on deck 9. But if you order it from waiter or buy at a lounge or bar you will be charge for it plus a gratuity.
26. stop by the drink station and grab a drink to take with you to the shows or movies instead of buying a can a pop there. If you want a snack stop and grab pizza or hot dogs or fruit on deck 9 to take with you. again save money over buying a bunch of snacks for the kids.
27.At dinner kids can order from both the kids or adult menu.
28. The BBQ at the adult beach often has a fewer choices than Cookies BBQ on the family side but they often will have steak or lobster for the adults only BBQ. That is a nice perk.
29. No need to book floats and bikes ahead of time for Castaway Cay. They have tons of them. wait until you get there to make sure your really going to need the floats or have time to ride the bikes before renting them. we always just walk up and do it at the beach.
30. If you want to do the banana boat ride or the ski do(eco tour) I would book ahead of time. They do often have last minute openings so dont be afraid to ask when you arrive if you didnt book it and decided you'd like to do it.
31. if you rent bikes there are 2 nice trails just off the runway. The first one will have an observation tour. It has a great view of the island and ship. Bring your camera for this!! while up in the tower be sure and look around the base area of the tower. There are some whimsical things to see there too.
32. all the trails have ice cold water in big yellow barrels in wooden framed stands, so no need to carry your own unless you want to.
hope this gives you some new information to help with your cruise
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1